Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrated SAM460 owner  (Read 19293 times)

Description:

Offline tommysammy

• Show only replies by tommysammy
Re: Frustrated SAM460 owner
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;774098
@AmigoSteve

Send me a quick pmail and I will check you details and get your account authorised for the new v1.0 driver.

As for Warp3D for RadeonHD, the good news is that it is running many 3D demos such as Gears etc, but there are still some bugs to fix.  Its a mammoth task given the poor documentation out there for RadeonHD cards, but we should have more news by Amiwest.

That are great news. I thought, it was dead. I hope I can get it soon

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
@amigosteve

Sorry for all your problems with this computer, i can understand you... just for curiosity, how many money spend on this computer?
a1200 060

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
Quote from: tommysammy;774108
That are great news. I thought, it was dead. I hope I can get it soon

AmigaKit sorted my account out, authorized the download, and sent out the backup disc! Well done and thank you. I'm sure you will be sorted soon.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
@amigakit: That sounds like really good news. I am sure many people will appreciate it a lot :)

A 5000 series card is very cheap, so it whuld not be a problem to upgrade.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;774098
@AmigoSteve
As for Warp3D for RadeonHD, the good news is that it is running many 3D demos such as Gears etc, but there are still some bugs to fix.  Its a mammoth task given the poor documentation out there for RadeonHD cards, but we should have more news by Amiwest.

THE MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE in OS4.x land is much awaited by all users and I understand the bohemoth task by Hans but also understand the frustration from fellow OS4.x users like AmigaSteve.

The sooner the better I say bugs et all.  Let users sign a potential risk form if necessary but I'm sure the more users testing it the better:hammer:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Hans_

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:02:21 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;774148
THE MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE in OS4.x land is much awaited by all users and I understand the bohemoth task by Hans but also understand the frustration from fellow OS4.x users like AmigaSteve.

Yes, it is frustrating, and I'm sorry that it has taken so long. Just to avoid confusion, I'm not the Hans that's working on the Warp3D driver. I did provide some assistance and example code, though.

Quote from: Nicsoft;774101
There is one thing, I just can't understand!

A majority (vast?),  among my Amiga friends uses "R700" (HD4000 series) Radeon cards in their  Sam 460:s. But A-EON seems to neglect us, focusing on the high-end  range of cards only. Strange...

When there's limited resources available and you can't do everything, then sometimes difficult decisions need to be made. I personally think that focusing on the 5xxx/6xxx series was the right decision. They had to choose one GPU series, and it would be unrealistic to expect Amiga dealers to scrounge around on ebay for supported cards to deliver to their customers.

Just one nitpicky correction though, the 5xxx/6xxx series are not higher-end than the 4xxx series; they are just newer generations. Granted, the high-end of each generation tends to be faster than the last. However, each series has both low and high-end cards. For example, my Radeon HD 4850 is a high-end card, and totally leaves my 5450 choking on its dust in any performance test. In fact, even my 4650 (a mid-range card) is faster than the 5450.

Hans
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:07:15 AM by Hans_ »
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;774152
When there's limited resources available and you can't do everything, then sometimes difficult decisions need to be made. I personally think that focusing on the 5xxx/6xxx series was the right decision.

That's perfectly understandable, and I agree with you.

They had to choose one GPU series, and it would be unrealistic to expect Amiga dealers to scrounge around on ebay for supported cards to deliver to their customers.

The discussion was about providing support for the existing userbase with Radeon HD 4000 cards, and not about dealers offering HD 4000 cards.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;774166

it is. less understandable is when the public is left in the dark about all development facts, except when someone finally complains, which is then an opportunity for some sudden and unexpected statement, like that the project has not actually been abandoned, and is very close to completion, which is usually followed by further years of silence and patient waiting.

if development state was honestly communicated the users could easier judge for themselves if it pays for them to invest in the system. must be the reason to keep it confidential and only now and then feed the public with small fragmentary teasers out of context.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
Personally, as the owner of two 4770 cards, I'd want to use one of those rather than invest in a 5000 series card.
I do have a 6970, but that is overkill for an Amigoid OS.

At this rate, we are likely to see Radeon 3D support on a SAM460 under MorphOS before AmigaOS support is ready.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline BSzili

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;774168
it is. less understandable is when the public is left in the dark about all development facts, except when someone finally complains, which is then an opportunity for some sudden and unexpected statement, like that the project has not actually been abandoned, and is very close to completion, which is usually followed by further years of silence and patient waiting.
I was only referring to the lack of development resources being a valid explanation of why HD 4000 series cards aren't going to be supported vs. the supposed unattainability of these cards by the driver developers. I get why the users are upset about the situation, which is why I decided to comment on it in the first place.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;774168
if development state was honestly communicated the users could easier judge for themselves if it pays for them to invest in the system.

I'm with you on that one, of course - but asking a vendor to point out the (many) flaws in his product is a bit much, isn't it?

The more sensible approach would be to punish those community members who still help spreading the propaganda. We could start by taring and feathering anybody who's excited because Amigakit just announced an announcement.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;774166

When someone pays for overpriced systems at least is necessary a good service.
a1200 060

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Buy a newer series card off ebay for pocket change, likely your best bet.

Would I be ticked off if I bought a prebuilt OS4 machine with a 4000 series card in it, only to find out that I'm not going to ever get proper drivers for it?  Yes, I sure would be.

I would ask why vendors ever sold the things with those cards in the machines to begin with, and I'd never do business with them again.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
@Duce

The original poster bought the system from ACube.  ACube has provided the original RadeonHD 2D driver and of course, it has been stated by Hyperion that AmigaOS 4.2 will have Gallium3D supporting the 4000 series and above.

The X1000 First Contact systems have only been shipped to customers with 5000 and 6000 series cards and this is the primary reason that A-EON commissioned the Warp3D driver for these cards.  Development for each series is expensive and time consuming.  It is better to concentrate on a set series of cards before embarking on other development work.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline BSzili

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;774185
When someone pays for overpriced systems at least is necessary a good service.
I don't know what have got into me, when I replied to this thread. I should have known that my words will be twisted into the exact opposite of what I've said. I can't really blame anyone for getting caught in the crossfire. :hammer:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:59:30 PM by BSzili »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 29, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Was full 3d support ever promised for the 4000 series cards?  If so, I hope those that bought such rigs with 4.1 get some sort of free upgrade to 4.2 where the hardware they purchased with the machines is actually fully supported.  I've always been very interested in the SAM 460, but I'll wait until MOS support comes to it to have the best of both worlds.  Are all the onboard chips on the X1000 and SAM460 now all supported without the need for add on cards?  Been curious about that lately as well, and the fact they weren't on the X1000 actually kept me from buying it.  I don't like buying things twice.

Otherwise it's like me buying a car with a sticker on it that says "this car is only designated for city usage, but a highway usage upgrade will be coming soon" and it never comes, lol.

All this, being said - you can still pick up a 5000 series ATI card for under $30 brand new.  I recently bought one for an older server I've got here for $29.99, in fact.  Passively cooled XFX 5450, and it works just great.

Thanks for the clarification, Amigakit.