Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACK Announces 1.0Ghz and 1.7Ghz CPU modules for AmigaOne  (Read 4874 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: ACK Announces 1.0Ghz and 1.7Ghz CPU modules for AmigaOne
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »
Just wondering why Mac modules won't work?  The old PowerMac G4 has the same megarray connector, as far as I remember, and a Sonnet encore dual 1.8Ghz G4 is $250 cheaper than the single 1.7Ghz above while a 1Ghz G4 is $200.  Surely that makes more sense for A1 owners who absolutely must have a new CPU.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
A1 owners should by a complete Peg setup and have 2 boxes instead of 1.

I think alot of people would happily do that, but not when it does not run OS4. All i want is hardware that is reasonable priced and can run OS4. A pegasos board with MorphOS is not a option for me.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 09:03:43 PM »
Excellent news.

Considering it cost me almost £200 to get my CPU module repaired, these prices are pretty reasonable too.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
IIRC originally there was agreement between bPlan and Eyetech to use the same CPU module slots.  Obviously after the holy war broke out (which some people still haven't quite got over it seems) and Eyetech went the Mai route, that idea went right out of the window.

Another IIRC.  While the interface is physically the same as the ones used on Mac cards, the socket itself is electrically different.

Offline -BobW-

• Show only replies by -BobW-
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
"Just wondering why Mac modules won't work? The old PowerMac G4 has the same megarray connector, as far as I remember, and a Sonnet encore dual 1.8Ghz G4 is $250 cheaper than the single 1.7Ghz above while a 1Ghz G4 is $200. Surely that makes more sense for A1 owners who absolutely must have a new CPU."

The socket is the same but they are wired different so they will not work in an A1.
Amiga 500 GVP A530 Accel + SCSI2SD + 8 MB RAM and OS 2.04
Amiga 1200 GVP \\\'030 Accel + 32 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Amiga 4000 Cybervision 64/3D Mk-II + Warp Engine 4040 128 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Micro A1 866 Mhz and AmigaOS 4.1
PowerMac G4 1.4 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9
Mac Mini G4 1.5 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »

Cana peg run OS4? If not, then I personally have no use for it.

Do we really need 1.7GHz? For most of us, probably not. But some would like it anyway. I'm not suprized by the price. Look up pricing for the CPU alone, in ROHS compliant version, and see what kind of pricing there is to get the components...
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Edpon

• Show only replies by Edpon
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:20 PM »
I'm confused, (Yes, AGAIN!) about the AmigaOne situation.  This upgrade will be good for people who actually HAVE AmigaOnes, but what does it actually do for people like me who still don't have one?  And is Eyetech the only one still interested, or somewhat interested, in still making AmigaOnes?  I'm mainly concerned with WHOEVER can make a good realiable motherboard/CPU that will let me use OS4 and all 68K Amiga software. Clarification please! Thanks again.

Ed
 :-?  :-?  :-?
Amiga 500
AmigaOne 500
CommodoreUSA Amiga Mini i3

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »
It was rumored that the holdup on getting new A1s available was the lack of CPUs. Maybe this will change that. What it doesn't change though is my earlier comment that these CPUs can't be fully utilized due to the inferior bus design of the A1.

Some things that could help:
1. New motherboard that can use these modules (already rumored)
2. Adaptor to use these modules in a Pegasos as Genesi have yet to deliver their 7448 boards.
3. Adaptor to use Sonnett Mac boards in the A1 - this could be a $10 part if it's as simple as changing the MegArray pinout (though it may not be...).

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »
@Lando

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering why Mac modules won't work? The old PowerMac G4 has the same megarray connector, as far as I remember, and a Sonnet encore dual 1.8Ghz G4 is $250 cheaper than the single 1.7Ghz above while a 1Ghz G4 is $200. Surely that makes more sense for A1 owners who absolutely must have a new CPU.
-------------------------------------------------------------

You are asking the wrong question..............the correct question is "Why the heck did they insist on designing it differently"

I believe they did that on purpose..and shot themselves in the foot!,  Which company in their right minds would start manufacturing tons of CPU's for a measly AmigaONE?  I wouldnt..........the smart thing to do was to go with the same excat design as the Mac ones...so that they can be plugged right in.............Amiga is trying to go Compaq and HP.....with their proprietary style PC's........

Not a good decision. I think this type of thing happens probably when companies get greedy and think they can make a market to swindle people out of buying cheaper but equal Mac PPC processors. And in doing so make 10 times less than they thought they would.

I can imagine it must sound like a great idea at first.............problem is..We humans are an intelligent bunch, not dumb enough to fall for things like that....although some do..probably intentionally out of desperation for the machine,  as I admittedly do sometimes.  But how many people do that?  not many...........

Greed will always, always always destroy a company...........whereas, if you make an excellent fair priced machine that kicks butt to the competition, people will flock.......and as a seide effect.......The manufacturers will make tons of cash......which is what they sought originally in their greedy plan...............Honesty Pays!

Not accusing any company here.............just painting a scenario of what I think is happening.....and what I suspect is part of what happened at commodore when they got the Ultra silly idea of manufacturing PC Clones and think people will buy em. hahaha.  Sheesh.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline xeronTopic starter

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 12:28:08 AM »
It may have had something to do with the fact that Mac CPU sockets are not documented, are not compatible across many Mac models (even of the same general time). It may also have had something to do with ease of routing; the Mac pinout might have been awkward to lay out with the rest of the PCB.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Wraith2021

• Show only replies by Wraith2021
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 01:40:43 AM »
The point is to show that the A1 has a foothold as a PC competator and is keeping up with the times, and the prices reflect the fact that these are still Early-Bird systems, meaning low production levels.

Just wait until OS4 is released, then you will see a dramatic shift in prices as A1 sales and manufacturing will increase.

I am one of those waiting for the release of a finished OS4 and bug free U-Boot, at that time the Motherboards will be polished off and have proper packaging and the CPU's will fall in price due to increased demand.

The fact that the CPUs have been made is promising, as it will increase sales due to PC users who (remembering the Amiga but comparing it to a PC for CPU power) may make the switch over.

You have to remember that they are trying to make a PC beater, and this is exactly the way to go about it, the price tag at this stage in the game is inevitable, demand has to increase for the tag to fall, and believe me demand will be high; just not at this point.

Offline miksuh

• Show only replies by miksuh
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 02:48:59 AM »

Why? As long as Pegasos can't run AmigaOS 4 it's useless for me. ~600USD is too much when hardware can't run the OS I want. Sure it's possible to run Linux on it, but why? I did pay 30EUR for complete 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird PC with 512MB ram + Radeon etc. It runs Debian just fine. I wont buy 600USD Pegasos just to run Linux on it. If it would run OS4 too then I might.

In other hand AmigaOne can run OS4 and if I would have one, I might be tempted to buy one of those new CPU boards, even if it's expensive.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:22 AM »
Why? As long as Pegasos can't run AmigaOS 4 it's useless for me. ~600USD is too much when hardware can't run the OS I want. Sure it's possible to run Linux on it, but why? I did pay 30EUR for complete 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird PC with 512MB ram + Radeon etc. It runs Debian just fine. I wont buy 600USD Pegasos just to run Linux on it. If it would run OS4 too then I might.

Pretty much why I don't buy a A1 or a Peg. But for the love of what's right, I can buy this for about as much as the upper end PPC card.  And I can do a hell of alot more useful thing with it then I can with PPC.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline tomazkid

• Show only replies by tomazkid
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 05:37:15 AM »
As allready said, this is good, although expensive news  ;-)

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 12:03:09 PM »
Just out of interest...
what performance boost would I get over my current 800(133)MHz 750Fx ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 25, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »
@Piru : yes I did a bit  :lol:

For those who don't know :
You can :
change the MOS start picture to the OS4 one (or whatever you like)
install OS3.9 to give a AOS style look,
install OS4Emu to run some OS4 programms and demos.
Warp3D emultation is already include in MOS.

You'll just have to install E-UAE+roms to enjoy old non WB friendly programms... exactly like you'll do with an AONE...  :roll:

MOS and AOS4 are just some names, you can change them easily if you wish  :-D

I know lot of people who really need these speeddy modules to perform 3D animations and games.

About the CPU connectors, the fact is that its exist some copyrights about pîns assignement, this explain why AONE, PEG, MACS.... have a different wired connector.

@Agafaster : around 1x more up to 10x for the 1.0GHz CPU module depending of what you're doing with it ...
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga