Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Support  (Read 2614 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: AROS Support
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 10, 2003, 11:54:35 AM »

Jaruzel wrote:
@bloodline

It's a...

2GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
400MHz Bus Speed
256Mb RAM
40Gb Hard Drive
Integrated AC-97 Sound
Integrated Intel Pro/100 Network Card
nVidia Vanta 16Mb Graphics Card

... if that helps, I'm surrounded by them here at work.

-Jar.

Bah... :-(  I can't test any Intel P4 machines, I don't know any one who has one... we all have Athlons here, and one mate has a P3.

Offline Gaidheal

• Show only replies by Gaidheal
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 12:09:52 PM »
@Rodney:

AROS is C not C++ and staying that way for now at least :¬)  I know because I asked on the dev list myself, wrt my emulation project.

@thread:

Yes, I downloaded it.  Burnt it.  Tried it.  Read the AROS site and signed up as a developer to do their emulation.  In that order, all within the week.  I hope that gives a sufficient measure of how impressed I was.  Oh, yes, I shall be switching to AROS as my desktop OS at the earliest opportunity and hope to do all my future development work, as far as possible, even that targetted at Windows, from AROS.  Obviously it is not ready for that yet.. but then that would be why we need developers, right? :¬)

My machine specs (for the curious):

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024Mb DDR400 RAM
40Gb ATA133 7200rpm HDD
16x DVD-ROM
52x24x52 CD-R/W
GeForce FX 5600
GA-7NNXP m/b
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline Gaidheal

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 12:13:56 PM »
@Matt:

Deceased laptop (well video on it) is a P4.. claim is apparently going through.. with luck I'll get a P4 replacement, so yeah, we'll be able to test on P4s and laptops :¬)
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 12:29:17 PM »
@DethKnight

Yep removing the usb mouse worked, thanks for your help on that one :-)
Ni72ous

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 12:31:32 PM »
Just a Quick note for those who have down loaded the AROS CD-ISO:

Look in the Contrib directory to find all the software :-)

MY CD-ISO also contains DOOM and Quake. Have fun

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 12:35:30 PM »
Ran damn good on my Dual AMD system. The latest ISO was the first I actually got to work, and I loved it, though I would have liked to see how Quake would run on it, but it was installed bad (no biggy).

Unfortunatly I am one of those people involved in too many hobbys which I require a ton of different sofrtware for. I Record and edit videos, Compose Music with Tracker and Virtual Analog Synth programs, edit for DOOM Legacy, dis-assemble and re-assemble Dreamcast and XBOX ISO's, run a Streaming media server to my XBOX, dable in Lightwave and Maya ect. In short I can not say that I will be leaving Winblows any time soon, as I am always going to have a need for the software that runs on it, I could always dream that most of these needs will one day be taken care of by another OS, but I have my doubts, as BeOS was dubbed the Media OS, and as much as I LOVE it, it hardly takes care of any of my Media needs at all. :/

I will no doubt have a machine set up for using AROS though none the less, but until some serious software is written for it, I'll pretty much just be using it for fun, or for those times when I need a break, and am so sick and tired of Winblows' crap, that I am ready to vomit and burn Microsloth head quarters.

DAMN YOU Microsoft for taking the market, and turning it rotten! :(
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 02:10:31 PM »
I think that a 68k integrated EMU would be quite important for AROS because it would allow you to use compilers, a tcpip stack, browsers... until we have more native AROS apps... I would put the IMHO most important things that need to be implemented in this order:
1.-68k EMU
2.-Native Dev Kit
3.-OpenPCI support or compatibility...
4.-CGX & P96 Emulation if it doesn't include it
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Gaidheal

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 02:37:39 PM »
@Xdelusion:

Which Dual CPU board you using?  Quake indeed does seem to be not properly installed on Matt's ISO.  Either that or both you and are inept with it in the same way :¬)

As for lots of hobbies requiring Windows.... well I have targetted Windows itself using software that was not running on Windows.  So it is not as necessary as you might imagine, but actually XP is one of the better desktop OSes around.. despite it being MS.  Sadly it does of course have "Microsoftitis" - i.e. loaded with pointless 'features' and "legacy" quirks.  I fully expect to be able to switch to AROS for just about everything, though.  Here is a thought... Windows emulator for AROS  :-o

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 02:47:55 PM »

Crumb wrote:
I think that a 68k integrated EMU would be quite important for AROS because it would allow you to use compilers, a tcpip stack, browsers... until we have more native AROS apps... I would put the IMHO most important things that need to be implemented in this order:
1.-68k EMU
2.-Native Dev Kit
3.-OpenPCI support or compatibility...
4.-CGX & P96 Emulation if it doesn't include it

1. We shall see what the "Emulator Guy" comes up with :-)

2. On it's way. :-)

3. On it's way, PPC port first :-)

4. As standard.

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 02:59:50 PM »
So does AROS go on an A1 ?

I'd like to have a butchers' while waiting for OS4...

ps: what are the PalmOS requirements for the Palm version ? will my OS3.1Handspring Visor Deluxe be ok ? (presuming i can get the s0dding batteries to last more than 5 seconds !!  :-x )
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 03:08:06 PM »

Agafaster wrote:
So does AROS go on an A1 ?

I'd like to have a butchers' while waiting for OS4...

ps: what are the PalmOS requirements for the Palm version ? will my OS3.1Handspring Visor Deluxe be ok ? (presuming i can get the s0dding batteries to last more than 5 seconds !!  :-x )

the PPC version of AROS only boots OpenFirmware based  PPC machines at the moment, which means some macs and the Peg. Also it is still in the early stages as Michal Shultz is doing this by himself.

AOne (UBoot firmware based machines) is planned for after the OF version is at a beta level.
That may or may not be before the relase of AOS4... who knows?

I suggest you send an email to the AROS-user mailing list, as thats the best place for finding out info about using different versions of AROS. They shoudl be able to explain how to load and boot AROS on a PalmDevice.

Offline Gaidheal

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 03:30:09 PM »
My Palm is knackered... tempted to get a new one just try AROS on it :¬)

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2003, 04:15:42 PM »

Jaruzel wrote:
Hmm, I tried AROS native on i386 on a Compaq Evo 2Ghz machine, and it was um, unusable to say the least.

Perhaps Wanderer was unusable? ;-)

Now, I KNOW it's not finished, and i KNOW theres huge chunks missing, but, the workbench kept freezing on me, and the windows stopped drawing icons, and sometimes it just went-away for about 5 mins, before actually responding to a mouse click.

This made even exploring the contents of the AROS cd a major hassle, so I didn't even try any other Amiga software.

There are issues with Wanderer and also the ide.device, some known and some unknown yet. That, however, doesn't make the whole AROS unstable, of course. I agree that it's not nice to have the filemanager lock on you, but there's always the CLI :-)

I'm not against AROS, it's just too Alpha for me at the moment.

Don't use Wanderer (it can't do anything useful but launch apps, at the moment, anyway), and be happy :-D