Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)  (Read 22892 times)

Description:

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 26, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
@bernd

Would you at least consider to support 15-bit screens? For BVision users like me, it saves memory and speed as I'm on 1600x900 desktop. Furthermore, about the 8-bit mode, I do open screens of 1920x1080x8bit (wordworth, dopus4 etc) that need no more than 256 colors, but look plain ugly without afaos, while the rest of the system looks great. Please give it some thought before rulling it out.

Also, are you aware that AFA-OS has some sort of conflict with Powerwindows iconify function? Placing windows out of sight works fine, but the iconify function (which iconifies ANY window, whether it has an iconify gadget or not) won't work if afaos is loaded. Would it be possible to check it out plz?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:22:28 PM by Vulture »

Offline bernd_afa

• Show only replies by bernd_afa
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
>Would you at least consider to support 15-bit screens? For BVision users like me, it saves >memory and speed as

15 bit screens do not save memory.when you choose a 15 bit mode 1 bit is always unused.all date need in real 2 bytes and thats 16 bit.

So use of 15 bit screen is not need and give slightly worser quality.

>I do open screens of 1920x1080x8bit (wordworth, dopus4 etc) that need no more than >256 colors, but look plain ugly without afaos

You mean look plain ugly with AFA OS ?

Here wawa is working to make nicer window buttons, so the white box for window gadgets is gone.with AFA skin system windows in 8 bit look same as standard AOS, you can switch off AFA skin system and use Visual prefs then.

Best is always use same resolution as workbench desktop, because a screen switch is then lots faster.and as soon you get a TFT, you cant use diffrent resolutions, because picture get unsharp when you use a resolution diffrent to TFT native resolution.

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »
>Also, are you aware that AFA-OS has some sort of conflict with Powerwindows iconify >function? Placing windows out of sight works fine, but the iconify function (which iconifies >ANY window, whether it has an iconify gadget or not) won't work if afaos is loaded. >Would it be possible to check it out plz?

The problem with powerwindows is same as with kingcon or other programs that create a own icon when no Icon is find for that action.

You need look with snoopdos(the filename) or in the powerwindow doc how can change the Icon for the iconifired window view.

then you need copy a Icon to the place and with correct name so powerwindow use this Icon.In the AFA doku it is explain more detailed what to do

Offline CountRaven

• Show only replies by CountRaven
    • http://www.amigaplanet.gr
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
Well...

Interesting topic. But...

1. Is there anyone that had installed and used ALL this updates so far? Is there any kind of screen shot of a final workbench under all those add ons in order to take an idea if all those modifications are worth the try?

2. Having installed Amikit and AmigaSYS on a real Amiga -actually on my 4000 PPC on different partitions and yes AmigaSYS is faster- is it worth the try to go through all those updates installing em upon a new 3.9 on a clean partition? Will I get something much different?

3. If I will decide to go through this I will make all the install on a 1200T with PPC and Bvision.
Peg2, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200D-030, Amiga 1200PPC, Amiga 4000PPC, CD32, 2xCDTV, Sam 440EP, Efika, AmigaOne XE.

http://www.amigaplanet.gr

Offline GulliverTopic starter

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Yes, you will get something different! You will get the most AmigaOS 4.1 like experience one could ever get with a 68k!

I have used updates mentioned, unluckily, i didnt make a screenshot in time, and i got a harddisk failure on my 2GB 2.5" ide drive (It was too old!). Now i am in the process of rebuilding that setup on a flash disk solution.

Anyway, it depends on what you want to do:

AmigaOS 3.9 + lots of nice & cool stuff: AmiKit, AmigaSYS and ClassicWB
AmigaOS 3.9 with OS4.1 functionality: BoingBag4

Besides, on BoingBag4 there are several alternatives, for each component, so you may choose the one that suits you most!

Offline Vulture

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
@gulliver
 ah, sorry for going off-topic.... What I've tried so far is the contextmenus, which do not work on my system. To be exact, they do run and they do appear as commodity in exchange and as I r-click on an icon it's highlighted, but no menu. Maybe my WB is overpatched and something prevents it from openning the menu. I have popupmenu.library 10.10 with Piru's fix applied. PlayCD opens its window, but crashes soon after.

@bernd_afa

Man, thx for all the explaining :) Now, you mean next afa_os version will have gadgets in <16bit screens instead of white boxes? That sounds just about right. About Powerwindows...well, even if I disable the iconify gadget from the powerwindows prefs and just try with the hotkey I've defined, the iconify function won't work. I'll take a look at what you said, but I think it's kinda different as PW's method does not require a gadget to be drawn. And it's a great function to have really....

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2009, 04:35:01 AM »
@Vulture
ContextMenus works great, see attached screenshots. I am using popupmenu.library 10.8.6. Where did you find that version, could you share that file?, perhaps that particular version triggers some bug.

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:54 AM »
And... PlayCD from OS4 also works, see attached screenshot, playing audio

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 07:01:30 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;531277
In general people using classic amiga hardware has no gfx card, i bet for it.

I'll accept that bet!  I think many people still using Classic Amiga computers have graphics cards for them.  I have a graphic card in all my A2000's, A3000's and A4000's.  I even tried to get a graphic card working with my A500 with a Sling-Shot Pro, but it would not work with my GVP A530, so I gave up on that idea.  Although not strictly a graphics card in the sense that it will provide 16bit, or 24bit screens, the IndivisionECS and IndivisionAGA have greatly improved the screen displays of many more old classic Amiga computers.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;530992
Read about my personal pipe-dream:

http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/TechDetails2.htm

...and feel free to comment

Great timing!  I just replaced the hdd in my A1200 w/1260&SCSI-2 256mb Fast RAM with a 4gb drive and can use this info to maximize the performance of it.  I have never had a Classic Amiga with this much Fast RAM before and would like to get as up to date as possible with wireless networking and it already has an IndivisionAGA installed and a Subway USB controller.  Very powerful for such a compact Amiga.  With WHDLoad key I should be able to enjoy lots of old games too.

Thanks again and keep updating it please.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2009, 10:14:07 AM »
>take a look at what you said, but I think it's kinda different as PW's method does not >require a gadget to be drawn. And it's a great function to have really....

what does PW do, when you iconify a window ?

I think it draw a Gadget on workbench desktop.and i think this Gadget thats draw on worlbench can customize so you can use a own Gadget.and when you use a own Gadget it should work.

>Now, you mean next afa_os version will have gadgets in <16bit screens instead of white >boxes?

Here is a screenshot how AFA currently look on < 16 bit screens with the work of wawa.there need 2 Gadgets to do

http://www.daten-transport.de/ansicht.php?id=ZH35f56kFb4n

On default borders the buttons are correct center, the center problem is because i use larger borders.

to get chaos pro working well its important that the window borders do not use other colors than amiga default first 8 colors.

when its possible to use AFA or birdie skins on 8 bits, then there need 16 or more color Pens for this or the skin must remap and look more ugly as amiga default look
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:20:47 AM by bernd_afa »

Offline Vulture

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
@gulliver

Man, that means I need some serious "debugging" to do on my system to see what causes these problems. It's great that it works though, that means that I will eventually make it work here too! Did you create any menus before using the contextmenu as described in the command manual? I'll PM you about the popupmenu library.

@bernd_afa
what PW does is by hitting a hotkey (in my case ralt + i) to iconify a window, but the term "iconify" is kinda misleading here. It actually creates a small piece of workbench window titlebar with a close gadget (that's optional) which can be moved around the desktop as if it were a workbench window, thus eating as much space as an icon, while having the flexibility of a window. It even has an option to lock its position and to uniconify all iconified windows. I hope I explained it well, if not, I'll make an image and upload it somewhere. It's good to see that we'll get gadgets on <16bit screens with afaos!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
@bernd: you ve posted a screenshot where most of the gadgets are still the messy ones. actually only the close gadget is in place and the resize gadget looks more like it should allthough it is still misplaced. best working and closest to what i want to achieve are scroll gadgets for now and thex do not schow up.
the problem is it is still a lot of trial and error to get a desirable look just drawing the lines. especially 3d look is sometimes little complicated in detail. i hope i will able to finish soon when back in berlin.

@vulture: do you need powerwindows inconify gadget if you have this option in afa? you can disable this feature in pw prefs.

Offline Vulture

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
@wawrzon

I've disabled the iconify gadget in PW already, but the hotkey won't work either, that's the problem. What stops PW iconify function from working, I don't have, as I said, the gadget enabled.

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2009, 01:28:27 PM »
>what PW does is by hitting a hotkey (in my case ralt + i) to iconify a window, but the >term "iconify" is kinda misleading here. It actually creates a small piece of workbench >window titlebar with a close gadget (that's optional) which can be moved around the >desktop as if it were a workbench window

now i understand what you mean, i know this feature too, but when i boot without AFA (press left mousebutton during boot) all is same as with AFA

when i press on the iconify button powerwindows add in window after start, i get a line with the windows title and the window jump to the right side.

only diffrence is, when use AFA the Gadget powerwindow add is not see in titlebar.there is a Gap if you use a skin with mid tile. and when you click on the Gap, it do exactly same as without AFA.

Maybe you start powerwindows before AFA ?
thats wrong, AFA is no patch because it replace functions, you need start powerwindows or other patches always after AFA start.

>actually only the close gadget is in place and the resize gadget looks more like it should >allthough it is still misplaced. best working and closest to what i want to achieve are >scroll gadgets for now and thex do not schow up.

but it show that there is some enhancents.the center depend on border size, I have written, change all to default that it look nicer.

the arrow gadgets you too have change, but i have no real world example that use scrollers.normaly workbench use arrow gadgets.but workbench is not need run in 8 bit.

Offline Vulture

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
@bernd_afa

What can I say? Here it works if I disable Afa and stops working after booting with Afa. Puzzling, isn't it? I actually run PW long after Afa, a few lines after LoadWB, whereas Afa is long before LoadWB is executed.