Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has no software ???  (Read 6635 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Aros has no software ???
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
Well if it's OctaMED you want, just use the PC version. I have it here (though not used it for years :( there are simply better trackers out there now, not that I use trackers anymore)... But it does work in Wine so it will run on your OSX/*nix boxes too.

@Tension, that is a somewhat limited view of an Operating System... The SuSE linux install on my Athlon64 can't run the same software that the uC Linux I have installed on my ARM Dev board runs (without a recompile), but they are the same operating system no?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;592189
Better is a subjective term. OctaMED SS is more than capable of controlling my kit and after so many years of using it, I just know where everything is.

I have so little outbord hardware now (mostly just midi/USB controllers) I don't need controllers... You have to love Arturia's softsynths :)

I tried the PC version and frankly was not very impressed. There seemed to be an awful lot of lag from keypress to note playback when editing with it. Unfortunately, I tend to notice the same issue when running it in both WinUAE and E-UAE and adjusting the sound buffers for lower latency tends to produce some stuttering effects.

ok, I can see your problem. I don't have any latency issues with UAE (what there is isn't noticeable and if I want any output I'll mix down to disk anyway).

Conversely, OS3.x/4.x run it just fine on both my A1200 and A1 without these issues.

Fair enough, but Tension might want to invest a little time learning a few more modern Trackers... It's both fun, and rewarding :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592231
Yeah but i'm trying to put it off as long as possible because OSS is the only "killer app" I have on the Amiga.  All my mates have been trying to convert me to Ableton/Reason/Logic for years now, and I must admit it does look very tempting.

Logic and Reason are damn near perfect production and composition tools, though they overlap quite a bit in functionality... I find Reason good for getting stuff going and Logic for cleaning it all up and putting that Pro edge on it.

Ableton is singular for live work. I never used Logic's Mainstage (live performance) software live but it did seem quite good... but at the end of the day on Stage you want something reliable and most importantly RELIABLE (I know technically that is only one thing... but it's so important). Ableton has been 100% reliable for me for live work and that has covered something near 500 gigs!

I fear that once I stop using OSS, that will be the end of my Amiga journey forever. :(

Nah, even up to 2008 I was still sampling and tracking on my A1200. I like grungy audio and the Octamed interface... So I use it... :)