Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros has no software ???  (Read 6669 times)

Description:

Offline saimon69

• Show all replies
Re: Aros has no software ???
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
The thing that annoys me about AROS users:

1) Whenever you say "AmigaOS should go x86" they say "AmigaOS has gone x86 and it's called AROS"

2) Then you say "Can I run OctaMED SoundStudio on it then?" and they say "Yes but you need to run UAE"

That just does not compute for me.

An Amiga has to be able to run Amiga software or else it is not an Amiga.

Am I missing something here??

Well, what are you missing is that AROS is on the x86 source code compatible but not binary compatible as instead will be on amiga68k - mean you will be able to run octamed on AROS on the Amiga; for a different architecture like x86 a compatibility layer such as J-UAE or (still in development) Emumiga is required;The latter one is pretty interesting since will be like a JIT interpreter for the Amiga OS system calls to AROS for all those programs that does not bang the hardware directly.

IIRC Octamed uses system gadgets and so should run under emumiga on x86 once the project will be perfectioned enough; otherwise we can hope for a x86 port :)

P.S. i was a protracker user and did my jump on milky, never was able to like octamed interface and commands :P

Saimon69
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:09:13 AM by saimon69 »

Offline saimon69

• Show all replies
Re: Aros has no software ???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »
Quote from: Templario;592323
For me AROS has software and good, but not one USB reader systems, why? very easy to explain, I programming things in Amiga OS4 but with Hollywood and I tryed to port my programs tested in AROS from a VMWare but never I got that from USB drive or a CDRW tested my projects, currently is possible AROS from VMWare read the contend inside of a pendrive USB?
@templario

that is not AROS fault, especially since Poseidon, more from the settings of the Virtual Machine created; i generated through easywmx a wmdk file disk with USB enabled (can be changed editing the .vmx file) and once started the machine was able to access the stick from vmware (being unmounted from win in the meanwhile though).

Saimon69