Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying aros on my laptop...  (Read 4272 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

Re: Trying aros on my laptop...
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 22, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;592318
In that case, I used PartitionMagic to resize my Windows drive and install grub. :)

Last version I used didn't support NTFS...
Got a link?

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 05:05:35 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;592411
Perhaps a Copy2RAM option could be added to the grub menu like on some Linux distros?

Yeah, I like this idea. I've been working quite a bit with this with rather large WinXP disk images (i.e. > 2GB) . Loading the images into ram with Grub is pretty painfully slow, but once the image has been loaded into RAM, the boot up time is only a fraction of what it takes to boot a hard disk based WinXP system. I'm talking like 20 seconds vs. 2.5 minutes.

I've just started playing with Icaros in Virtualbox and it was easy to get it going. (Tried Broadway, but couldn't seem to get networking working. I'll have to look into that some more.) I bet the Icaros light package would load pretty nicely into RAM and run. Maybe I'll take a crack at it.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
Hello my friend,
in Broadway you have to go to the Network Prefs and choose PCNet32.device in order to get it working in VB. That is all. Please use DHCP and press save. Than it will work. Broadway uses the drivers for iMica and AresOne as standard.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
Quote from: Lando;592354
I no longer have any PC with an optical drive.  Can I copy the Live CD files to a USB Flash Drive and boot from it?

Is there any reason not to run AROS in a Virtual Machine? Virtual Box is free and I've played with Icaros Desktop VE before and it ran really well. I was using VMWare workstation but it's the same idea. Then you don't have to really worry about hardware compatibility either.

As long as you have enough RAM and processor it seems like a great way to run it.

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....