Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 First Contact buyers  (Read 4445 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
X1000 First Contact buyers
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
If you received a message from AmigaKit with a link to the "First Contact" X1000 ordering page and followed through with your ordering of an X1000, you might want to join the new group I just created here at Amiga.org for "First Contact" buyers.

I sent in my order 18 minutes after I received my email from AmigaKit, so I hope that was quick enough to make it into this group of buyers that will be able to get the "First Contact" systems.

I opted for a Black case, 1tb hard drive, 2gb RAM options.  I will also get one of AmigaKit's AmigaOne keyboards, but already have 2 or 3 of their Boing Ball mice, so I did not choose the option to get both the keyboard and mouse together with my X1000 order.  

It would be great to get it by Christmas, but I won't expect it until sometime before March.  That way I won't be disappointed and if it shows up sooner, I will be happier.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: X1000 First Contact buyers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »
I hope these offers and this "amiga" do not succeed, if it succeeds not want to wait out whats the next, sincerely.
a1200 060

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:31 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;669837
I hope these offers and this "amiga" do not succeed, if it succeeds not want to wait out whats the next, sincerely.

You want the x1000 to fail? Fine. But why are you posting it here? You should be congratulating Dave not insulting him. Show some respect. Also work on you grammer - it's appalling.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:30:28 AM »
I just want things at reasonable price and of course im no insulting... show respect.
a1200 060

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:16:29 AM »
Hope you enjoy the product!  Could sit here all day and shoot back and forth how it's pricey in this day and age compared to commodity hardware, but we'd all end up on the same page on that issue, heh.  My SAM was expensive by computer marketplace standards too and I enjoy it, but I have a lot of fun with it and how you enjoy your new X1000 when it arrives.

A step by step "my impressions on the new X1000" type review of it when you get it would be a very interesting read, so please consider that.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 06:42:41 AM »
@kickstart,

I understand that you don't want, or can't afford an X1000 and you would like to see cheaper options to run OS4.x, but wishing A-Eon to fail will not get you your cheaper hardware any faster.  Hyperion are the only people that decide what hardware OS4.x will be ported to, be it cheaper, or more expensive hardware.  Aim your complaints toward them, not at Trevor and A-Eon's X1000, as Trevor has nothing against OS4.x being ported to cheaper hardware.

Soon you will be able to buy a Netbook to run OS4.x on at a much lower price and you should be happy, but please don't wish for the X1000, or A-Eon to fail, as Trevor has plans for more OS4.x compatible hardware in the future and it might be something that you want to have.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »
where do I join this group?

Ordered mine, a day after I got the email. Hope I'm in, I had to check my money and just really have a good think if it the right thing to buy with all this money.

I've ordered, a white X1000 case with keyboard and mouse, 2gb ram, amigaos & linux pre-installed. :)

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
Custom hardware for a small market is always going to cost a lot. At least this computer will be pretty fast for a PowerPC Amiga.

Of course AmigaOS needs to move to ARM* ASAP - cheap hardware, soon over 2GHz, great support, etc. If Hyperion set themselves a target of ARMv8** in a couple of years then they can use the opportunity to bring AmigaOS to 64-bit and add in the missing features (memory protection, etc) at the same time. A clean break for the future.

* Being the mass-market powerful but cheap CPU of today, much like the 68000 was in 1985. By cheap I mean a system-on-a-chip costing under $30.
** Besides 64-bit support, this brings some nice architectural enhancements - 32 registers like PowerPC for example.

Offline kurkosdr

• Show only replies by kurkosdr
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;669868

Of course AmigaOS needs to move to ARM* ASAP - cheap hardware, soon over 2GHz, great support, etc. If Hyperion set themselves a target of ARMv8** in a couple of years then they can use the opportunity to bring AmigaOS to 64-bit and add in the missing features (memory protection, etc) at the same time. A clean break for the future.

Without being an Amiga expert, a port to ARMv8 without extensive rewritting might be impossible if AmigaOS is written in assembly.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;669879
Without being an Amiga expert, a port to ARMv8 without extensive rewritting might be impossible if AmigaOS is written in assembly.
IIRC, wasn't OS4 re-written entirely in C?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:00:18 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;669883
IIRC, wasn't OS4 re-written entirely in C?

Regardless of what it is written in, the number of programmers working on any Amiga is a tiny fraction of what it needed.

Porting anything to ARM or x86 is going to take years.  Enjoy what we have now while you wait.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
Can't wait to hear about it.

About to re-flash ATI FireGL X3 (yet again).
I have enlisted Thomas Perrier to help figure out how to mod the X800XT BIOS myself (instead of using existing files).

I now these things work on G4 Macs because I've used them (dammit).

God I love hacking.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;669837

rumour has it Amigakit sold out in one day so i guess you should start hoping for world peace instead:laugh1:..honestly why you would not want any venture Amiga related to succeed is just absurd.

@ amigadave

joined group ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:15:22 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline imigger

• Show only replies by imigger
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
i agree is should fail as the amiga used to be for the masses not the elite, specially in this economic climate , cheap hardware all the way and put it in a box with built in keyboard and cdrom ohh yes amiga 1200 looking would be nice , why ohh why wont they put it in a home computer box like the 1200 , and sell it for around 300 squid id buy 1 but i wouldnt pay no more as its basicly useless and nobody is developing real decent software or games so hay ho.