Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Alan Redhouse  (Read 8007 times)

Description:

Offline Frodon

• Show all replies
    • http://www.asum.asso.fr/
Re: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Ala
« on: February 10, 2003, 06:50:45 AM »
Hello,

"No OF, wasn't a good BootROM solution at all. I already stated this at a time when there was no alternative in sight for the AmigaOne. Sure they could have patched it, to make it function more properly, but there were simply too many design flaws and bugs."

The OpenFirmware solutions are used by many industrials around the world including SUN, IBM and of course Apple. If you have a Mac, just try one day to do: Apple + O + F   at the start of your Mac.
And if you know the Pegasos OF, you'll see that the Apple OF works a lot similarly.
Why? Because they both respect the standard for OpenFirmwares.

If this is a so bad solution, why so many industrials use it?

Regards
Frodo Baggins

Fleecy Moss, Aug 1999: \\"You may have bought the name Amiga, but the community is something you have to earn. AInc have never understood that, and now there is another company\\"

Offline Frodon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 01:41:32 PM »
Hello,

If Windows and IE are such bad solutions, why so many industrials use them?

Just because many companies or people use something, doesn't per se mean there aren't any better possible solutions thinkable. Why do you guys even bother working on MorphOS anyway then?

Haven't you find anything better to answer??? In that case your argument is stupid and not valid.

To take a quote of what you answered to Jedi (a bit adapted: "You can't come up with proper arguments, so you resort non valid comparisons?". What you said is just like comparing cars to fruits.

Apple and SUN are not M$, particularly Apple is well known to make good choices.
And don't be silly, the OpenFirmware is maybe one of the most flexible solution for a boot ROM/BIOS. Far more flexible than the BIOS used on the PCs and of course more flexible than proprietary ROMs like what you have in the OldWorld Macs and classic Amigas.

I'm also a Mac user and know lot of Mac users aout there. Personally I love the OpenFirmware model used on the Macs (and on the Pegasos also of course) and this is also the case of the Mac users I know. As well as people involved in alternative OS development (Linux, NetBSD...) for Macs.
This particularly helped a lot for multiple OS booting.

Regards
Frodo Baggins

Fleecy Moss, Aug 1999: \\"You may have bought the name Amiga, but the community is something you have to earn. AInc have never understood that, and now there is another company\\"

Offline Frodon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 01:51:58 PM »
Hello,

"Umm... Would that be "New World Macs"? ;)"

Yes of course these are the NewWorld Macs

Regards
Frodo Baggins

Offline Frodon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 04:09:16 PM »
Hello,

Anyway, yet again some MorphOS trolls transform a Amiga thread into a childish personal mud-slinging contest.

And for what? First and foremost the BIOS ROM is just for initializing hardware. IMO you guys are pulling this way out of perspective, how will you guys react when AmigaOS4 finally hits the market, with such out of proportion reactions even about a different BIOS ROM?

I don't know what you exactly mean but just for your information, I never criticized the AmigaOne BIOS/Firmware.
You were just saying that the OF is not a good solution, I was just explained why I think it's a good one.

I've been using OF based computers for 2 years now (Macs mainly and now the Pegasos) and never complained about the OF. In fact I love it in all my OF based computers. And I know nobody complaining about OF (I know mainly Mac users about that).

For now I didn't see you giving valid arguments. You just answered that the fact that it's used by lot of companies doesn't imply it's a good solution.
But this is very vague and general (and so doesn't always apply) and it is not a constructive argument as it didn't give any additional elements to help understanding better why you think it's not a good solution.

What I know is thanks to the OF I can multi-boot my OF computers easily, change configuration easily using a quite well extended command line interface. (It's also possible to use graphical interface to boot for example. On Macs you get a GUI pressing the Alt key at startup).

On all my previous posts here I was just answered to you about the OF boot solution, disregarding the AmigaOne solution. PPCBoot is also a good solution. But OF is not a bad one. This is the only thing I mean.
Don't interprete I'm against PPCBoot (AmigaOne choice) as in fact I'm not. I was just arguing about OF, nothing else.

Regards
Frodo Baggins