Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Business Machines live again !  (Read 7814 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Comoodore Business Machines live again !
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »
@number6

so then the notion that these guys had permission to use the commodore marks is now finally refuted?

edit: never mind. from a press release:

Recently, various computer magazines and other news agencies announced  that Commodore Business Machines Limited in the United Kingdom  is planning to market one or more mobile telephones under the COMMODORE  trademark.

C=Holdings B.V. hereby announces that it has not granted any rights to  CBM for making use of the COMMODORE trademark, nor that C=Holdings B.V.  has any involvement in the development and marketing of its products.  C=Holdings B.V. will vigorously defend its rights in this matter.
quelle surprise.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:05:47 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Commodore Business Machines live again !
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
@thread

looks like the tech 'press' is starting to pick up the story. via number6 at AWN:

It seems that the Italian bloke who wanted to release a Commodore phone might be in a little hot water with people who own the trademark.

Italian Massimo Canigiani declared himself as the new owner of the  Commodore trademark. His newly established British based "Commodore  Business Machines Ltd" was going to sell Commodore Smartphones to retro  enthusiasts.

It now appears that Canigiani didn't actually acquire the existing  trademark, he simply tried to have a new one registered. The application  is available publicly in the European trademark database but now it is  listed as "application opposed."
http://www.techeye.net/mobiles-2/commodore-phone-in-trademark-war

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
@OlafS3

it sure seems that way. at first i figured something wasn't quite right since i couldn't imagine paolo being involved with something that wasn't on the 'up and up,' but then we have his statement on AWN, cloanto's sudden insertion into the whole thing, and... i don't know what to think.

if nothing else it shows that there are folks who feel the AROS kickstart replacement ROMs are solid enough for commercial purposes. that's a good sign, at least. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;794142
on amigaworld someone speculates about that Cloanto tries to hinder the commercial use of Aros rom replacements

my answer:
Reverse engineering is permitted, there is even a windows clone reverse engineering windows and Microsoft certainly has good attorneys. They will never come through with it if they try to go against use of aros rom replacements. But it can be that they want to stay exclusive resource for commercial amiga emulation and are not happy. Perhaps others will become aware of Aros rom replacements then too and noone needing Amiga forever anymore.
i seriously doubt michael would object to the use of the AROS ROMs. more likely the issue is that cloanto don't know what will be included in the software image of the phone and they wanted to clarify that any purported emulation capability of either the amiga or C64 would have to be done without their intellectual property (unless licensed). it's probably just down to a lack of communication... at least i hope.

-- eliyahu