Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Remote Procedure Call terminated" problem  (Read 5526 times)

Description:

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
Re: "Remote Procedure Call terminated" problem
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 13, 2003, 11:23:18 PM »

Vincent wrote:
.... Firewall and set it up to block port 135.

All is done, all is good :-D

until the next time :-x

Cheers for the help :-)
Did you check ports 3330-3332 and 3362?

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2003, 01:08:20 AM »
Phew..I think I managed to lock down my parents XP box just in time today.
 Luckily I came equipped with an upto date virus checker and firewall on a flash disk, so I didn`t have to risk connecting to the net!

The thing that really bugs me (no pun intended) is how insecure a standard XP Home edition machine is.
 My parents are your average PC newies, they can just about manage to send an email and browse Ebay..how the hell do MS expect people like this to know howto lock down a system?
 Why should these services allow incoming connections with no easy way to disable them?

To make my day even better, I thought I`d better check windows update..
 Yup, they hadn`t even run that in the 2 months they`ve had the PC. And in that 2 months..32Mb of updates waiting for them to download..over a poxy 56k dialup line !!
 I started downloading, Windows Update said something in the region of 6 1/2 hours to download..so I left it running. I came back later to check, and the bloody ISP had cut the connection because of a 2 hour dial up limit..  :-x
 Tried again, and Windows Update said it needed to start from the beginning again !!! ...I gave up, and gonna get a mate to burn them to CD for me!

..Nope, didn`t work..still mad as hell as MS and their usual crappy standards.
 I told my parents to buy a Mac, but did they listen...?
 Anyway, just checked the firewall logs again, and it`s about 99% now of port 135 probes at a rate of about 2 attempts a minute ( of which about 50% are coming from my ISP`s netblock.)
On schedule, and suing

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2003, 01:22:12 AM »
@Blom

I checked as many ports as I could - all came back Stealthed :-D

@Doobrey

That sucks.  Good job they've got someone who know a thing or two ;-)

A 32Meg download on dial-up should take only 3 hours, mind you, this is the official "Windows Update" bollocks running so you've to expect some lagging, but double the time?  That's really bad.

That two hour limit - they aren't on BTOpenworld are they?  If so, tell them to check out Telewest.  Line rental is £10 a month and unlimited dial-up is an extra £13 on that (less a quid or two if paying by direct debit).  I've only been unable to connect 4 times at most in about 18 months.  Each time the problems have been solved in a few hours.

EDIT: just remembered that the Windows "Time Remaining" crap is *never* right so that 6 1/2 hours is total balls :-D

EDIT2: Blom, installed the Win2kSP4 on my machine (after the IE6SP1) a few hours ago and everything seems to be fine so far *knocks wood* :-D
Guess I'll really find out when I wake up tomorrow :-P
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2003, 09:13:16 AM »

Calen wrote:
I`ve just checked my firewall logs, and in the last 12 hrs, 75% of attempted connections are for the RPC port 135...Times like this makes me glad that I refuse to upgrade from Win98...

Seems to be a very common thing of late, you can directly test if your at risk with this by clicking
here  (port 135 on your comp will be probed)

This link will instantly and easily test anyone's Internet-connected PC. "Open" is BAD, "Closed" or "Stealth" is safe.

Lots of other security tests can be performed at the main Shields Up page which we all had fun time? on IRC doing last night :-)

Welcome to probe central ;-)

Using MS's built-in firewall (WinXP-SP1), my port 135 is rated "Stealth"(by GRC).

Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2003, 09:17:22 AM »
That two hour limit - they aren't on BTOpenworld are they? If so, tell them to check out Telewest. Line rental is £10 a month and unlimited dial-up is an extra £13 on that

150k broadband + Digital TV Box + Telephone Line Rental with free local calls from NTL is £26 a month.

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2003, 11:00:52 AM »

mdma wrote:

150k broadband + Digital TV Box + Telephone Line Rental with free local calls from NTL is £26 a month.

:-o

Pity I can't get NTL here :-(
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2003, 11:05:34 AM »

Vincent wrote:

mdma wrote:

:-o

Pity I can't get NTL here :-(

Pity we can't get Teleswest here.  I want that 2MB line for £50 a month that they offer!