Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 69572 times)

Description:

Offline sean_sk

• Show all replies
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:15:12 AM »
Quote from: kolla;830020
Yeah, Gunnar did not exactly take it kindly that I pointed out how a 5 dollar Raspberry Pi Zero outperforms the Vampire cards on his own benchmark tests.

Yeah and? Who of us would react any differently if we put in a lot of time and energy into a project only to have someone sledge our work. Sure Gunnar goes on a bit about his core, but you know what? I would to if I worked on something that I was proud of. OK so the Apollo core doesn't have an FPU or MMU. So what! It's highly unlikely that it will continue to be this way indefinitely.

Offline sean_sk

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;830047
So what? lol. The whole point of running a classic amiga, at least to me, is legacy classic compatibility and MMU and FPU is important for this..

If Commodore were still around I  can tell you now their current line up would not be beholden to your  idea of legacy compatibility. In fact, far from it. And I certainly  can't see why the Vampire project should be either.

Offline sean_sk

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;830053
If CBM would still be around, there would  also be new products around, and updates of old products to new  interfaces. However, they are not, so the situation is a completely  different one. The entire platform lives from its legacy, and ignoring  that is not exactly helpful.

Not necessarily saying that legacy compatibility should be ignored but holding back development and progression of the platform for the sake of compatibility purposes is not helpful either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:28:53 AM by sean_skroht »

Offline sean_sk

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
Quote from: kolla;830055
I am really sorry that you don't have anything that you are proud of, maybe time to step up the game somehow? :)

No need to make insulting assumptions mate. No one insulted you.