Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A cure for yellowing ?  (Read 4648 times)

Description:

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
Re: A cure for yellowing ?
« on: September 11, 2003, 11:44:35 AM »

tintin wrote:
Just out of interest (as my amiga 4000 is being sold as we speak), is there any explanation why some parts of the front cover might yellow more than others, isn't it all supposed to be the same plastic ?
On my (ex) amiga the front cover is still sparkly white (well, as white as it ever was, more like a light creamy colour) only the cover plate of the floppy is more yellowish, same is true for the keyboard.  All parts of the amiga have always been in the same spot.
Contact with compounds that can oxidize the plastic and/or oxidize themselves (skin oils, etc)... Airflow from the fan pulling crap in through the floppy drive... Differences in heat at various portions of the unit...

Dunno about the Amiga plastic, but yellowing in general can be caused by all sorts of things.  On this era of stuff, I imagine we can also count outgassing of PCB/component resins (and solder rosin/flux) as part of the problem; that, with the electrostatic effects, probably accounts for the 'monitor-shaped-footprint.'

Smoking is another great culprit, of course - somewhat oily particulate in the air, loves to condense on plastic.  I had a monitor I thought was just nasty and old, until I realized I'd been parking my ashtray half-beneath it; a bit of regular Windex, and I realized I was just getting a view of what I've been doing to my lungs.

My favorite technique involves good ol' Borax, though I haven't tried it on an Amiga.  Obviously, you want to do this on only the plastic - don't try it while there're components inside.  Take a small amount (tablespoon or two?) of borax, and a sponge soaked in hot water.  Dump the borax on the dripping sponge, so enough of it dissolves, but some remains as a particulate for scrubbing (probably still gentler than sandpaper!).  Give the plastic a good going-over, being careful not to pick up anything in the sponge that'll gouge it (use judgement), and if you're lucky, the dinge will just disappear before your eyes.  (Particulates will scrape off, and otherwise, the borax has a bleaching action that, hopefully, shouldn't yellow or degrade the plastic too much.)

Rinse the whole thing with plenty of hot water when you're done.

After that.. I'm not sure what you can use to protect it.  A long time back, someone discovered the same PABA used in sunblock could be added to deck stain and the like, and that's where cheap UV-protective wood finishes came from.  But sunblock is going to be, well, gooey, and plastic-protectants may or may not be what you want.  (*Maybe* something like Armor All works; I've noticed it seems to dry out automotive vinyl *faster* once it wears off.  Other things contain urethanes and other weird stuff that might turn out to yellow on their own anyway, no matter how 'UV-protecting' they claim.)

I've tried a little UV-protective furniture polish (in other words, light mineral oil, hint of lemon, PABA) on the fax machine here; can't tell if it's an improvement or not.  The sunblock should help, but the oil seems likely to yellow anyway.  I think the best you can hope for is 'trying whatever you think will work' as a protectant, and using the borax technique again if/when that fails.

Assuming the borax technique works on whatever's happened here, anyway.  Someone mind trying it on the Amiga plastic and providing some evidence one way or the other?

(Oh, and I wouldn't use it on the Transformer - or, at best, I'd go with a Q-Tip on the white portions - because I'd fear it'd degrade the red/painted bits.)

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 11:54:18 AM »

billt wrote:
I've had good luck with some abrasive cleaning stuff, such as SoftScrub. Some brands have bleach included to help with getting the yellow color out, but is harder on the skin.

On a related note... I prefer the borax to bleach, because bleach itself seems to have a yellowing effect on certain compounds.  (I've noticed this with my socks.)  Borax doesn't seem to have that problem.

For keycaps... I'd be afraid to scrub - the labeling might come off - but I'd risk an hour's soak in laundry-grade dilution.  (Hot water, something like... quarter of a cup of borax to the gallon?)  Maybe leave one cap out of solution, as a 'control' group.

Again, just theory.  I've used it in practice on a Dell, and some other crud lying around, but never an Amiga.

There are also some abrasive polishes out there specifically meant for plastics, though I've never had much luck with them.  (Got a can of surplus military stuff... Always seemed to dull things, even if it was supposedly meant for polishing scratches out of LCD faceplates.)

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 03:11:30 PM »
If you're going to paint, I'd follow this guy's lead, and use a 'clear' enamel (or perhaps spray lacquer -- that usually goes on real thin and transparent, and could be topped with clearcoat, see below.)

http://applefritter.com/hacks/mercury/index.html

The 'below:' IIRC, I had some neon orange and green Krylon lacquer that went on like that, which I was intending to use on a computer - didn't, in the end, but I can say that it went on very 'flat' and would've needed some clearcoat on top.