Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"  (Read 37250 times)

Description:

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
Re: Hyperion: "Halloween special double-treat for the Classic AmigaOS"
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
Quote from: olsen;815287

Things change, and the change is not a indication of poor performance or lack of confidence on the side of any party involved.

Wearing my decoder ring I am choosing to interpret this as "We see there may be a decent market for OS 3.1 updates after all."

Could you elaborate on any future plans for this new 3.1 distribution? Is this a one-shot release? Is there any sort of roadmap? Are you testing the waters for demand before making that decision?

I also don't see the issue with any "conflict of interests" with Hyperion maintaining both OS3.1 and OS4.x distributions. The OS 4.x camp (which is basically A-EON) is creating OS3 software so surely they would be happy to see OS 3.1 updates.

Myself I have feet in both camps, owning both classic and PPC systems. Very happy to see updates on both.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
Quote from: olsen;815287

Things change, and the change is not a indication of poor performance or lack of confidence on the side of any party involved.

Wearing my decoder ring I am choosing to interpret this as "We see there may be a decent market for OS 3.1 updates after all."

Could you elaborate on any future plans for this new 3.1 distribution? Is this a one-shot release? Is there any sort of roadmap? Are you testing the waters for demand before making that decision?

I also don't see the issue with any "conflict of interests" with Hyperion maintaining both OS3.1 and OS4.x distributions. Myself I have feet in both camps, owning both classic and PPC systems. Very happy to see updates on both. After all, Hyperion is in the business of selling software, so go where the demand is. :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 11:35:33 AM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;815290

I also don't see the issue with any "conflict of interests" with Hyperion maintaining both OS3.1 and OS4.x distributions. Myself I have feet in both camps, owning both classic and PPC systems. Very happy to see updates on both. After all, Hyperion is in the business of selling software, so go where the demand is. :)

if that is true why do they not make "AmigaOS for Classic" more useful to their existing users (mostly use it on UAE i would guess). They even have the patch to do that.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
Well done, supplying new 68k software is great.
Maybe this is just the first step in a series of 68k software updates.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
What the deuce? :huh:
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline spudje

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
So this is Hyperion's Halloween trick, rather than treat, right? :lol:

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;815290

shouldnt we wait till after the roadmap dor os4 is actually delivered, which subject is open since a decade at least? do you really need to think there is some master plan, a strategy, behind this release, other than just a tactical opportunity? follow the occams instead to create theories beyond necessity, and your life will be easier. in this case buy the rom if it offers functionality you currently need, but dont buy it upon assumption about what you imagine your purchase might led to eventually one day.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;815263
At this point, I really don't care.

If they want to sell 68k software, I'll give anyone a second chance.

Maybe they will do something with it, if not, I'm no worse off than I was yesterday.

Edit: That said, that's a really weak list of version numbers.

+1
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

guest11527

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;815286
From what gunnar said in public he negotiated with Hyperion and the answer was very honest that they are not interested in 68k. So either they changed mind since that or they just want to make some easy money without investing to much efforts in it. Before I do not see anything different I would bet on the second.

This was a long phone conference, and it's not that simple to summarize it in a single sentence. I was not participating, but I also talked to Hyperion later on to see what was the issue.

Part of the problem on the Hyperion side was also that Gunnar wanted to get control on the Kickstart and wanted to include there custom modules or patches for his particular hardware. You should also know that a vendor does not easily give away control over his assets, and that this request was also quite unnecessary as the Kickstart has enough options to address custom hardware such as autoconfig that is known since ever. Gunnar's approach is not a wise decision from a software engineering approach, and while I do not agree with much Hyperion does, I at least agree with that keeping the Kickstart sources free of custom patches for third-party hardware.

So every story has to sides, and at that point of time, the two parties did not come together, not due to the fault of a single party alone. Partially because Hyperion did not yet fully understand what they were really seeing and which market chances they were missing, partially because Gunnar was also expecting too much from such a deal. The story is a bit longer than simply "they had no interest in 68K".

This does not mean that the story ended there. We're just observing that it is going on. There are still, as said, a couple of improvements in the drawer, and I really hope I find the time to put a couple of my contributions back to where they belong. It's just that JPEG keeps me very busy these days - just being at another meeting in Chengdu, China, BTW.

Offline olsen

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;815288
I am not sure what you are wanting to say without saying it (almost politician like)

Ouch - I was trying for "diplomat".

In the past 25 years we all saw great plans and eagerly awaited announcements which came to nothing. At times I resented the grandstanding, later I learned that this is how business is conducted in a high risk market. The Amiga certainly qualified for that term.

We tend to view the ambitions and the failure to deliver on them as dishonest, as display of incompetence, if not outright malicious intent. It's the easiest explanation, I suppose. The more uncomfortable explanation is that the ambition and dedication is real, it's just that in the Amiga market it takes very little to make a big impact, and also very little to derail even modest efforts. This is the nature of this business: it's very volatile.

Big changes happened in the 68k hardware field very recently which could help to boost operating system development work, beause there is now a genuine foundation to build upon: somebody might actually pay for that work to be done, and the requirements of the hardware could drive operating system development.

I believe we may have crossed an important threshold.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;815271
Nevertheless, we have to see whether there will be a follow-up update. I still have a couple of fixes in the drawer, along with the newer shell and the newer layers.

Updates confirmed by SSolie here " http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=41399&forum=27&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=0 "

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;815263
Edit: That said, that's a really weak list of version numbers.

+2

Without really digging into it, I don't really see how this would be of any use to someone already running a fully patched 3.9. But  I suspect I'm not their target market.  Thoughts?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline matt3k

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:33 PM »
The big advantage for a 3000 user will be the scsi device update (assuming it is on the rom).  

Getting a new drive working in a 3000 with the stock controller is a challenge.

I can see this saving time and energy, you can start a new install of 3.9 without using another system to configure the drive ahead of time.

That would be my thought.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;815309
+2

Without really digging into it, I don't really see how this would be of any use to someone already running a fully patched 3.9. But  I suspect I'm not their target market.  Thoughts?

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;815310
The big advantage for a 3000 user will be the scsi device update (assuming it is on the rom).  

Getting a new drive working in a 3000 with the stock controller is a challenge.

I can see this saving time and energy, you can start a new install of 3.9 without using another system to configure the drive ahead of time.

That would be my thought.

I don't see any indication that this is the case, although I could be wrong.

It seems to be 99% copyright notice and availability.

I'm still holding out hope that this is just getting the process started and not just fulfilling some legal requirement to hold onto the license or something of that nature.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 12:49:56 AM »
Matt: i have installed 3.1 on amiga 3000s no problem... also 2.04. default install disks work fine no need for another computer.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline kamelito

« Reply #44 from previous page: October 15, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
@Olsen
IFAIK 6.58 was the last 68k sas/c is there a 6.59? What are the difference between the two?
https://www.warped.com/amiga/
Kamelito