Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 31689 times)

Description:

Offline Bennymee

• Show all replies
Re: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
Quote from: Aegis;806230
Not sure what to think about this announcement really - nice for x1000 and x5000 users I guess (assuming that software is developed that takes advantage of it) but along with the Enhancer package, this feels like A-Eon trying to take the future direction of AmigaOS 4.x into its own hands.

Which is understandable I guess since they're heavily invested in PPC hardware but A-Eon's boards aren't the only game in town - there's Classic, Pegasos, Sam and of course UAE and others - and developments like this are just further fragmenting the user base. There's already a handful of applications and games that won't run on some of these platforms due to them requiring hardware 3D and/or compositing - bringing Nova to the mix just means a smaller audience for software reliant on it.

Until there's PPC hardware that offers a sane price/performance ratio (and Tabor isn't it) there's never going to be a 'standard' AmigaOS platform. I love the drive to do *something* to move AmigaOS forward but the money and effort being expended on stuff like this is of benefit to a tiny fraction of the Amiga community. Such a shame.

Well, if one could find a *working* PCI->PCI Express converter you could use newer cards on most Amiga with PCI slots or PCI boards...
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x