Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One small step for Natami. One large step for Amigaland!  (Read 17466 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: One small step for Natami. One large step for Amigaland!
« Reply #89 from previous page: May 02, 2011, 02:53:18 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;634769
I think its awesome that you can read and write amiga disks on this.

I'm excited too, but I'll be more excited when they have a final price the board will cost and a release date.

I'm pretty sure I will be buying one of them when available. My 1200 died 6 months ago and I really don't feel like rebuilding another one with old aging hardware. For the price of a 1200 with accellerator,tower conversion, rtg, network, and so on....This is much better.

Steven

yeah, even if this does end up rather expensive.. compared to the stuff we use otherwise, not so bad. I've probably sunk about a grand into my 1200, once you count all the different peripherals and whatnot.

I know plenty of people who've spent far far more

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2011, 02:59:07 AM »
Quote from: smerf;634774
Hi,

@Franko,

You are probably one of the few individuals who would probably pay $1800 for one of the new  900 Mhz Z80 computers with a FPGA VGA/EGA/BCB board.

smerf

Hi Smerf... :)

Who you calling an individual... you, you, you collective you... :furious:

Nah... not for a Z80, 68K yes, Z80 Noooo... :)

Cheers

Franko

PS:I think all that royal claptrap had made me feel I'll today (I was exposed to 15 seconds of it accidentally) and have been feeling very I'll all day... :(

Methinks the royal family should be shipped of to the US as they seem quite popular over there and let us tax payers over here have a wee break for about 100 years or so (it would also mean I would feel less guilty about fiddling me tax each year...) :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »
Quote from: runequester;634741
Maybe this is just me, but I am rather excited that you'll be able to use floppies. Gotta find a cheap PC floppy drive or two online when the time comes.

Hi,

@runequester,

I just read in the newspaper last week were Sony the last company to make floppy drives was throwing in the towel and was going to quit making floppy drives. So if you are going to get one you better look and buy now while they are still in stock.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »
Quote from: smerf;634784
Hi,

@runequester,

I just read in the newspaper last week were Sony the last company to make floppy drives was throwing in the towel and was going to quit making floppy drives. So if you are going to get one you better look and buy now while they are still in stock.

smerf

Yeah, I might grab one ahead of time.
Worse case, there's a "used computer parts" place in town that has buckets of old garbage I can rummage through :)

Offline smerf

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:36 AM »
Quote from: Franko;634782

Who you calling an individual... you, you, you collective you... :furious:

Nah... not for a Z80, 68K yes, Z80 Noooo... :)

Cheers

Franko

PS:I think all that royal claptrap had made me feel I'll today (I was exposed to 15 seconds of it accidentally) and have been feeling very I'll all day... :(

Methinks the royal family should be shipped of to the US as they seem quite popular over there and let us tax payers over here have a wee break for about 100 years or so (it would also mean I would feel less guilty about fiddling me tax each year...) :)

Hi,

Sorry about the individual slip,

but why do you want to send them to America, we have enough problems with our politicians giving our money away to the poor little rich people who don't know how to handle their money or run daddies handed over business. Heck they gave the rich rastards more money than they will collect in taxes for the next 10 years. All the companies have moved to other countries and yet they still claim they are American, the only thing I can say is Buy American and help support a Mexican, China man, Taiwan etc.
The last time I looked even America's proudest pair of pants levies where made in the Philippines. The only places we can get jobs now is either at burger flipping, or Stall-mart (the only place in the world guaranteed to make you wait for 2 hours in a check out line).

and now you slug you want to send them over here,  FOR WHAT?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2011, 03:21:58 AM »
Quote from: lou_dias;634143
http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=37264

Hi,

Looks good, but the price, we need to come down some. Think about it you have something going good here. (Darn, that is awful hard for me to say because I hate everything these developers are trying to do, except for Cloanto's Amiga Forever.

But give me a chance I am sure after I get done looking into it, I will find something to complain about, so lets start with the PRICE.

smerf

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2011, 03:25:40 AM »

I'll let you off with the individual thingy if you take half the royals then as a forfeit for spelling lots of words wrong (colour etc...) and for all those years of daddy & son Bush making our useless prime ministers look like lap dogs... :)

Oh yeah and for those fat American tourists that descend on the place each year in bermuda shorts, loud shirts and more cameras round their necks than they can ever use but mostly for the buggers saying "gee... we love you Scots and coming over to ENGLAND each year to see you tiny castles".... :furious:

Need to get back to the telly now, watching the WWE Live Pay Per View "Extreme Rules" it's live from Tampa Florida, odd crowd tonight though they all look like geriatric overweight tubs o lard (not sure if they're the locals or holdaymakers)... :)

Cheers

Franko

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2011, 03:25:49 AM »
Quote from: smerf;634789
Hi,

Looks good, but the price, we need to come down some. Think about it you have something going good here. (Darn, that is awful hard for me to say because I hate everything these developers are trying to do, except for Cloanto's Amiga Forever.

But give me a chance I am sure after I get done looking into it, I will find something to complain about, so lets start with the PRICE.

smerf

It is pricey, but compare to what you'd cough up for a "real" amiga.

My 1200 ran me a bit over a hundred dollars (and half again to ship it from the UK)
Scan doubler about a hundred.
030/56 card was about two hundred. Thats half the price of a natami already.
I dont have USB, but if I wanted it, its another 150. Throw in 50some for networking.

Throw in the 060's and RTG capabilities and we're well over a grand already.

Im not sweating the price :)

As far as the developers, these guys are about the last guys I really put faith in. They have categorically refused to take anyones money until they have a product to show for it, and they aren't spending time talking trash about the "competition". I can respect that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:32:31 AM by runequester »

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
All Right! We got floppies and serial cable internet! BAM!

I'm gone fire up some Star Trek NG or maybe some Saved by the Bell and go full on 90s retro!

Oh no, what am I saying. :(:lol:

Really, I tease - it's gonna be great.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline DCAmiga

• Show only replies by DCAmiga
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
Natami MX gets a First True Enhancement :D
Posted by Thomas Hirsh:

First true enhancement

For the first time on the MX board it is getting exciting, even for me. Till now I was "only" adapting the LX design to the new board. OK, by doing that I made quite huge progress in stability and usability. The board can now even be operated stand-alone. But this were just all the many mandatory things needed for the completeness of the system itself. But now... I was able (and had the time) to improve, or rather extend ECS. As you (hopefully) know, OCS had a hard wired frame generator. Because of that there were two different Agnus chips, one for NTSC and one for PAL. With ECS this issue was resolved in a quite superior manner. They did not only implement a NTSC/PAL switch but also added a complete set set of frame generation registers. From that on there was no limitation to the screen size anymore. Even the A2024 resolutions (1024x1024) were possible. This was a lot more than a common PC could offer that time (in 1988).

With the ECS frame generator it was even possible to display some VGA screen modes as 640x480. But there was still one limitation. The pixel clock was limited to fixed 28MHz. For the A2024 this was no problem, the refresh rate was set to 10Hz and the monitor itself had a built in frame buffer to display the image content at a much higher frequency. VGA and Multisync monitors had no internal memory. So this technique could not be used and resolutions that high as the A2024 were not possible to display on them. And even the 800x600 resolution needed to be in interlace because of the in comparison low pixel frequency. AGA did increase the color depth and the overall number of colors available, but left the pixel clock unchangeable.

The pixel clock on the Natami is not generated by an external oscillator. It is synthesized by a programmable PLL (Phase Locked Loop). Its frequency can be changed at run time. I now implemented an interface which allows the PLL being accessed through DFF registers. With that I am able to set up a basic screen resolution of 1280x1024 in 60Hz for a functionality test. Not system friendly, just a part of a memory field and mouse pointer. But it actually works. I have known it from the beginning that it is possible and will work, but seeing that the Natami can now match the native resolution of my test TFT is something different! I`ll send a design update to Annika as soon as I can.

And the second good news is that with the new resolution I was able to confirm that the digital portion of DVI is also working.

Chipset Features
  (new) Frame generation .......... ECS and variable pixel clock -> UCS
        SyncZorro Interface ....... preliminary version
        Copper .................... fully implemented, with buffered data fetch
        Video DMA ................. fully implemented
        256 color registers ....... fully implemented
        AGA HAM8 .................. fully implemented
        Sprites ................... 16bit linebuffer
        blitter ................... basic implementation. Block and fill mode only, line to come
        Video priority ............ half implemented
        Scandoubler ............... fully implemented
        Interrupts ................ fully implemented
        Paula DMA control ......... fully implemented
        Audio out ................. fully implemented
        Disk DMA .................. 880k and 1760k, read only
        Serial Port Paula UART .... fully implemented
        Slow peripheral I/O ....... fully implemented
         (Joy/Mouse/Keyb/PRT/DSK/SER)
        PC mouse and kbd support .. o
        CIAs ...................... fully implemented

Board Features
        VGA out (DVI-A) ........... working
  (new) DVI out (DVI-D) ........... working
        PCI ....................... transfer only, arbiter and config missing
        IDE ....................... PIO mode 0 working
        Compact Flash connector ... o
        NEC USB PCI ............... o
        RTL 8110 LAN .............. o
        Battery-backed up clock.... working
        15k Video out (module) .... o
        15k Video in (module) ..... o
        Audio in .................. ohttp://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=33366&x=14WTG Thomas!!
Amiga 500, 1/2 Meg Trap Door, RocTec HD, Slim External Floppy (DF1), KS Switcher: KS 1.3 & KS 2.04 (1987-1995)
PeeCee Box, W7 - WinUAE
Dell Inspiron 14R - laptop
Sony PS3
Sony PSP
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo 3DS

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
It seems to all be going well. I know Natami had some naysayers at the beginning but I think now it has a lot of people getting excited. Great stuff. I think it will sell very well.
Falling into a dark and red rage.