Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side  (Read 4420 times)

Description:

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side
« on: February 12, 2003, 12:17:14 AM »
You miss the point. For the CEO of a company to talk to a potential customer in public forums this way is in my opinion completely unacceptable.
Absolutely.  I made some negative comments towards Mr. Buck on ann a few days ago and he actually emailed me asking me why I reacted the way I did.  I tried to explain to him pretty much what you said above, but I got the feeling that it didn't really sink in.

The funny thing is, if he really had an issue with a particular person he should have dealt with him/her in private email instead of making an ass of himself in public.  Why he chose to email me in private is beyond me...  perhaps he's a slow learner?!?

Although it's kinda neat to see big names in the community participating on public forums, I think people who have entire companies on the line should know better and are expected to act responsibly.  Although I welcome their presence in the forums I think they should put more effort into releasing company and product info in a more professional manner then just getting knee deep in some flamefest on some random forum.  Issue press releases, FAQs, photos and hold interviews with respected journalists.  Do NOT go onto public forums and confront, insult or threaten individuals as it strips away all credibility.  I don't think I could make it any clearer then this.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 02:05:11 AM »
It sounds to me, like you don't want CEO's to talk with you,
huh?!?  What was it that I said that made you come to that conclusion?!?  I'm just saying that if they decide to talk with us they must remember that they are not just anyone and have a higher level of responsibility with the things that they post on an open forum.  Sure, Bill and any other Bill may and should participate at some level in the community as it's important to stay in touch.  However staying in touch doesn't mean to figurativly reach out and punch someone, especially if that someone is a potential customer in a community full of potential customers.

So yes, someone like Buck should participate in the forums but if he feels a need to make a statement about his company or products then he should consider a more formal avenue.  If he feels there's a gross misunderstanding in the community then address it in a more formal PR release or offer an interview with some tech-journalist and not waste time attacking individual members.

You do realize that companies hire PR people to handle the public's concerns and to avoid situations like the one Buck got himself into.  Buck might want to consider being more careful in what he says and how he says it if he intends to post on public forums, and that's all I'm really saying.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE