Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New games for the AMIGAAAAAAAAAAA  (Read 4838 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: New games for the AMIGAAAAAAAAAAA
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »
Pretty much any of the above would be cool, really. I've been enjoying some quality classic shooters on my MSX and it'd be nice to see one tailored more for the Amiga's capabilities. It'd also be fun to see an RPG in the style of one of the really good, game-focused console RPGs (and maybe in something other than a fantasy setting at that.) But I think what I'd most like to see is a platformer in the "Metroidvania" vein - solid action with an emphasis on exploration and discovery. That'd be quite a lot of fun.

Of course, I'd like to do a few of these myself, but that'll be at some undetermined future date...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;612749
It's not like I don't have an epic RPG planned out in notebooks that has never been coded since I have no artist for it, etc. :D
I think any aspiring game programmer has half a dozen of these projects; I know I do ;)

Now, what about Japanese style ones like Dragon Quest?  Or does this crowd generally only like the Ultima/D&D style adventures?

Amiga does have a definite lack of Japanese style games.
I'm good with either, but I do have a preference for the JRPG style. The problem is that most homebrew JRPG-style projects tend to copy the "the gameplay is something to keep you busy in between massive cutscenes" trend of recent Squeenix titles :( I'd like to see something more along the lines of Final Fantasy V and various Nippon Ichi titles like the Disgaea series, where there's a lot of in-depth game content that's not just an afterthough while the developer shoves their sprite movie at you.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;612772
Didn't you say you were working on an MSX1 game? :D
I will be when MSXdev 2011 starts up - I've just been doing a little brainstorming beforehand. Not going to be a JRPG epic, though - I only have 128KB to work with!

I do have an RPG project I've been toying with for some years now, doing music and character designs and plot scribblings, but I haven't yet made a serious effort at making it. I think it'd be a NES/Famicom title, with an upgraded Amiga port. Kind of a mix of Shadowrun, H.P. Lovecraft, and That Hideous Strength...god, I'm such a nerd ;)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm going with MSX1 more because screen mode 2 (the tiles with two colors per line) is a major part of the MSX "look" to me - besides, I can still use some MSX2 improvements like a tweaked palette and nicer sprites, as long as I keep it backwards-compatible.

Maybe I'll finally take a stab at the RPG project once MSXdev is over...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
Well, I have a real MSX2 for testing - I doubt there should be much that the game I'm planning would run afoul of on MSX1, but I'll definitely be testing it on blueMSX's MSX1 models...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
I've got the flash cart and real MSX2 hardware, but I'm not sure I want to go buying an MSX1 system - think I'll just see if I can enlist some testers with real MSX1s...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Yeah, they're a lot easier to come by than MSX2 systems, really. It's not so much the price as the shipping that's putting me off (well, that and the fact that I don't really have a need for one, as I've yet to encounter an MSX1 game that won't run on my MSX2.)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:36:30 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;612828
128kb?? lol. Ultima 6 ran on the 64.... 128kb is massive in comparison :)
What Arkhan said. Running in 64KB+ of transient space is no problem, but MSXdev limits the cartridge size to 128KB - even if I use compression that's probably less than 192KB of game data that I could fit. The Legend of Zelda is 128KB (I think) uncompressed, for purposes of comparison.