Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PowerPC 970 News Letter  (Read 3392 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaMacTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
PowerPC 970 News Letter
« on: December 13, 2002, 02:40:27 AM »
"Earlier this year, at the Microprocessor Forum, IBM showcased the first details of the PowerPC® 970, the first in a series of 64-bit processors built for performance and bandwidth-intensive applications.

With the introduction of the PowerPC 970, IBM has taken PowerPC performance to new heights. At up to 1.8 GHz, the PowerPC 970 is the fastest PowerPC yet introduced. But the 970 employs much more than frequency to answer the demands of high-performance computing customers. The 970's multiple execution units including an AltiVec compatible vector processor are fed by an up to 900-MHz processor interface bus, which can deliver data at a rate of up to 6.4 GBps.
"

Read More...

Offline CyberViking2000

• Show only replies by CyberViking2000
Re: PowerPC 970 News Letter
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 04:40:55 AM »
Now that's excellent news, seeing that the PPC is going to carry on for the foreseeable future. Hopefully AmigaOne sales will warrant a 3rd generation Amiga that will support this chip.  :-D

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 06:34:59 AM »
The IBM's web link is just a repeat from Microprocessor Forum announcement.

Refer to http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43448
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Ayashoka

• Show only replies by Ayashoka
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 08:42:26 AM »
At up to 1.8 GHz

About time :-D

Now it's hoping that they keep developing at a  good speed, and that the performance ratio stay higher in comparison to Pentium&co.

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 11:42:35 AM »
Hmmm... didnt intel just announce a 3.x ghz? Bah... :-(
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 11:42:55 AM »
There's also a nice presentation slideset/brochure at the IBM site.

After we have learned to walk (we have modernized OS+SW on PPC) we most likely will have appealing HW to upgrade to...

(most likely PPS970 wil require a new DDR/QDR motherboard to perform well)

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 12:10:11 PM »
After we have learned to walk (we have modernized OS+SW on PPC) we most likely will have appealing HW to upgrade to...

(most likely PPS970 wil require a new DDR/QDR motherboard to perform well)

Right.  Plus, the PPC 970 is a 64-bit chip, so even though the 32-bit code should work on it, AmigaOS would have to be redone (or updated) for 64-bit to fully utilise the features of the 970.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 03:58:57 PM »
"Hmmm... didnt intel just announce a 3.x ghz? Bah..."

Oh please.  Does anyone need to point out to you that there are 1 GHz CPUs that RIGHT NOW outperform the fastest Pentium 4s?  

Though it sounds lame when Mac advocates say it (only because the G4 is just a souped-up embedded CPU, not a real desktop CPU), MHz is not everything.  

An 800 MHz old revision of the AMD Opteron performing in the speed range between a 1.6 GHz P4 and a 2.4 GHz P4, depending on the test?  Or are you going to cry that Intel's at 3.06 GHz now so bah bah bah?  (btw, I believe the Opteron is slated to debut at at least 1.6 GHz)

Please.  MHz is NOT everything.  The G4 is NOT a full-fledged desktop CPU.  The 970 IS and is in a different class entirely.  

As always, don't cry until you either 1) know more about the issues involved or 2) get hard performance numbers that you can duplicate.

Sorry, the perception of MHz being the most important part of a CPU just annoys the crap out of me.  I think the next revision of the Pentium line (P8?  I forget the codename) is actually going to start at lower speeds than the current Pentium 4 line so are you going to say that the Pentium 4 is faster because it has a higher MHz?  Or will you recant when the next generation chip brings higher performance to the table?

MHz isn't everything.  The whole point of the P4 was to design it so it could scale to high speeds to sell chips--because the consumer buys on MHz ratings, not actual performance.

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 05:28:17 PM »
MHZ for Masses!

eehehheeh

:-D  :-P
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline Helgis75

• Show only replies by Helgis75
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 05:37:00 PM »
The PPC 970 is quite an interesting chip and i guess this will start to be supported when AmigaOS 5 is ready, cause OS5 is going to be a full 64-bit, CPU/Platform-independent SMS OS etc.

Combined with next-generation PPC-controllers from Mai, especially the Magicia-family being under development, it should support DDR-2 and 8x AGP among other things! Having such an AmigaOne-XE system, with PPC 970 and OS5, the perfomance should be mindblowing! It's true that PPC has a very bright future! Much brigher than ever, and with AmigaOne going to use PowerPC-technology! I am not satified with the x86 thing. Even that it's getting faster and better, PPC is still the real thing! I am glad to see Amiga is back and ready for a great comeback! The Amiga really deserves that!

Now we should expect great applications for it! :-)

Helgis75 from Norway :-)
Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 06:05:36 PM »
Combined with next-generation PPC-controllers from Mai, especially the Magicia-family being under development, it should support DDR-2 and 8x AGP among other things

Really?  Where did you get this info (I would like to read it too)  I could'nt find much more than the generic statement about the Magicia on Mai's site, but one would assume that they are working on such things as AGP 8X
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Helgis75

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2002, 06:29:04 PM »
I have personal contact to Pam Ham, the man behind Mai Logic. He gave me an upshot about futher information about the Articia MP and Magicia-family. We know that Articia P will support DDR and 4x AGP. They have very close relationship to Amiga, Eyetech and Hyperion, so don't worry my friend. Take a look at www.mai.com.

DON'T believe any word you have seen from Bill Buck! He was just throwing ####s, and Alan Redhouse from Eyetech has addressed this issue, so don't trust the Genetic story! This only affects Pegasos, NOT AmigaOne! Believe me, i know! I have asked both Ben Herman and Fleecy Moss, and i have been reading about Alan Redhouse's comment to his. Mai has made it clear that the fixed Articia S-chip in AmigaOne now works completely, and there is NO more problems with it! Genetic was NEVER part of this solved fix!

So just relax my friend ;-)

Your faithfull

Helge Kvalheim (Helgis75) :-)

Offline Helgis75

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 06:35:38 PM »
This is exactly what Amiga Inc plan to do. They have the AmigaDE-technology based on Tao Group's Intent technology (yes, the Elate OS). OS4 is ported to PPC to become its' host, then with OS5 it will be 64-bit and independent. It should also be able to run on x86, for people who want to have it on their x86-systems. The OS5 is top secret-stuffs, but i can tell you that it should be ready sometime at the end of 2003, accorded to what Fleecy has told me :-)

Helge Kvalheim (Helgis75)

Offline Helgis75

About the 750FX G3 CPU
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 07:11:15 PM »
Many people say that the 750FX G3 from IBM is really fast, even being without the Altivec? Do anyone think a 700Mhz G3 of this type is a very powerful debut? I would like to could be able to pick up a 1Ghz G3, too :-)  Just want to know...

Helgis75

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2002, 02:19:54 AM »
Helgis75 wrote:

The PPC 970 is quite an interesting chip and i guess this will start to be supported when AmigaOS 5 is ready, cause OS5 is going to be a full 64-bit, CPU/Platform-independent SMS OS etc.

Heh. :)
Next time you'd better add a smiley, or some people might think you're not joking.

To set things straight, no, none of Mai's chipsets support the kind of bus speeds that the PPC970 needs to be useful, and nothing is known about the "Magicia" project name besides the planned packaging type. PPC970 support? :D

The preliminary specs for the forthcoming Articia P states AGP4x and DDR333, which isn't particularly impressive, even today, not to mention when it finally will be released. One can always hope that this will be revised in time...

Pam Han the man behind Mai? I'm not sure of how she'd take your joke; if she'd be insulted to be called a man, or be flattered by being promoted from handling marketing and sales to being the founder and/or CEO of the company. :)

Believe me, i know! I have asked both Ben Herman and Fleecy Moss, and i have been reading about Alan Redhouse's comment to his.

LOL! Good one, Helge! :) An excellent summary of the way some people unfortunately seem to "reason".

Mai has made it clear that the fixed Articia S-chip in AmigaOne now works completely, and there is NO more problems with it! Genetic was NEVER part of this solved fix!

Heh! Keep 'em coming! :D

(If someone was confused by the joke, Mai has said nothing in public about the bugs in the Articia S, but phase5 (Gerald Carda to be specific) allegedly made the bugfixes in close cooperation with Mai, which hardly would be surprising. The TeronCX (a.k.a. "AmigaOne SE") will be sold with another workaround (probably in January), and possibly later with either the April "surfboard" mounted or an upgraded revision of the Articia S).

The OS5 is top secret-stuffs, but i can tell you that it should be ready sometime at the end of 2003, accorded to what Fleecy has told me :-)

ROTFL! :D
Thanks! There really should be a Humour forum category on amiga.org.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......