Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PowerPC 970 News Letter  (Read 3438 times)

Description:

Offline BlackMonk

• Show all replies
Re: PowerPC 970 News Letter
« on: December 13, 2002, 03:58:57 PM »
"Hmmm... didnt intel just announce a 3.x ghz? Bah..."

Oh please.  Does anyone need to point out to you that there are 1 GHz CPUs that RIGHT NOW outperform the fastest Pentium 4s?  

Though it sounds lame when Mac advocates say it (only because the G4 is just a souped-up embedded CPU, not a real desktop CPU), MHz is not everything.  

An 800 MHz old revision of the AMD Opteron performing in the speed range between a 1.6 GHz P4 and a 2.4 GHz P4, depending on the test?  Or are you going to cry that Intel's at 3.06 GHz now so bah bah bah?  (btw, I believe the Opteron is slated to debut at at least 1.6 GHz)

Please.  MHz is NOT everything.  The G4 is NOT a full-fledged desktop CPU.  The 970 IS and is in a different class entirely.  

As always, don't cry until you either 1) know more about the issues involved or 2) get hard performance numbers that you can duplicate.

Sorry, the perception of MHz being the most important part of a CPU just annoys the crap out of me.  I think the next revision of the Pentium line (P8?  I forget the codename) is actually going to start at lower speeds than the current Pentium 4 line so are you going to say that the Pentium 4 is faster because it has a higher MHz?  Or will you recant when the next generation chip brings higher performance to the table?

MHz isn't everything.  The whole point of the P4 was to design it so it could scale to high speeds to sell chips--because the consumer buys on MHz ratings, not actual performance.