Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 26151 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682213
My highschool dropped C++ in favor of VB6 for classes because they found that all the students couldn't comprehend anything and would rather draw forms and buttons and click things to make happy faces appear.

Older people I know had similar things happen.  Some schools drop programming altogether.  

My highschool is rated one of the top ones in the area, so, that aint a good sign

Well, that is too bad...whoa!:

If you can't be bothered to read anything, don't bother replying.  You flail  your penis around pissing and moaning about not providing facts or  whatever it is you're doing, whining about berating people, all the  while flinging insults, but this is the second time now that you've been  all tl;dr.

learn how to internet.  What the hell are they putting in the water in Dundee?

You're the worst troll target ever.  The troll-targets even troll you.

You are obsessed with penis!  And just when I thought you had calmed down and taken your ritalin...

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682218
Well, that is too bad...whoa!:
You are obsessed with penis!

I know man, I can't quit you!

And just when I thought you had calmed down and taken your ritalin...

I took ritalout, dude.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682216
aw look the Oregon Trail brigade is playing together! ;3

I wonder how long it will take for Bulgey to realize I've been , uh how is it the Brits put it?

taking the piss?

Did you not fully read the tl/dr response?

I admit it took a few posts.  Cut me some slack, I multitask like a rhino ****ing a volkswagen.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682220
Did you not fully read the tl/dr response?

I admit it took a few posts.  Cut me some slack, I multitask like a rhino ****ing a volkswagen.

no, it was tl;dr.

Do asians say tr;dl?
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682221
no, it was tl;dr.

Do asians say tr;dl?

Only ones that can't afford good speech therapists.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682208
Trying to teach programming to kids is a waste of time. The geek kids don't need incompetent teachers to show them the ropes and the non geek kids don't give a damn and won't get anything out of it any way. The raspberry pi doesn't change anything, and kids aren't hurting for computers anyway, they're surrounded by them.

Yeah, well, maybe. TBH I think geek kids are better served by the XGameStation. UK industry has stated that it's more hardware understanding that is required rather than a lack of programmers. With cash in hand I think I would rather buy an XGS for myself too. I just don't need the Raspberry Pi. Having said that, as an XBMC unit, it would go nicely with my HD projector. But then what would I do with my hacked XBox?

Oh yeah, linky for the sake of completeness: http://www.xgamestation.com/
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;682217
Bull. Programming is a great skill to have whether or not you use it on a daily basis or in a professional context; it's an excellent key to a real understanding of computers and how they work, and the more ubiquitous computers become in every aspect of life, the more useful that understanding will be.

I agree that it's a great skill to have, but the list of great skills to have is exceedingly long and there is a limited amount of time and resources available  for instruction of k-12 kids. What makes learning how to do a few tricks in BASIC or python more important than other things such as focusing on reading proficiency, mathematics and other important things that are of much more benefit to most people in society? Programming is a very specialized skill and the vast majority of people not only have little use for it, they also loathe it with fervor. I wish I had a dollar for every friend I've had who told me they were interested in learning how to code, tried it for a while and subsequently dropped that mess on the floor.

One does not need to learn a few lame programming tricks in Python to understand how to make use of a computer. Most of the people on this forum couldn't code something as simple as Lemonaid Stand to save their life, but they surely know a lot about computers.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682226
What makes learning how to do a few tricks in BASIC or python more important than other things such as focusing on reading proficiency, mathematics and other important things that are of much more benefit to most people in society?

I agree wholeheartedly. Sadly the UK education system is becoming very workplace orientated. Too much so IMHO.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682226
I agree that it's a great skill to have, but the list of great skills to have is exceedingly long and there is a limited amount of time and resources available  for instruction of k-12 kids.

True, but what I always liked about the very early computer experiences I had (BASIC/ LOGO type languages) was that I felt they were great at teaching logic.

And that's something that I think is equally as important as math and reading...

Whether or not you ever work in the computer industry..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
Quote from: desiv;682230
True, but what I always liked about the very early computer experiences I had (BASIC/ LOGO type languages) was that I felt they were great at teaching logic.

And that's something that I think is equally as important as math and reading...

Whether or not you ever work in the computer industry..

desiv

In in the 80's and early 90's, they were shoveling LOGO and BASIC down kids throats. Educators don't bother with it anymore because it turned out that it wasn't very useful. The teachers had no idea what they were doing and the kids didn't get anything out of it.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;682229
I agree wholeheartedly. Sadly the UK education system is becoming very workplace orientated. Too much so IMHO.

Here in the US, we have a serious problem with kids having trouble reading or doing basic math after graduating high school (if they graduate at all). Every year a higher percentage of kids find themselves rejected from the colleges because they can't meet the entrance exams. They wind up in the community colleges and spend a year or more taking prerequisite classes which yield no credits before they can even start taking college level classes.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682232
Educators don't bother with it anymore because it turned out that it wasn't very useful.

I don't agree...
I think the lessons in "logic" were much more important than they realized..

Just because they all didn't go on to work with computers, doesn't mean the education wasn't important..

But who knows..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682232
In in the 80's and early 90's, they were shoveling LOGO and BASIC down kids throats. Educators don't bother with it anymore because it turned out that it wasn't very useful. The teachers had no idea what they were doing and the kids didn't get anything out of it.

I got a lifelong enjoyment of computers.  To be fair, I only did LOGO and BASIC in the early 80s.  By the time middle and high school rolled around (late 80's) we had moved onto DOS and pascal and cobol.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
Quote from: desiv;682235
I don't agree...
I think the lessons in "logic" were much more important than they realized..

Just because they all didn't go on to work with computers, doesn't mean the education wasn't important..

But who knows..

desiv

I'm 31, and the most I ever did in k-12 was stuff like:

10 let a = 12
20 let b = 7
30 print a + b

or punch in LOGO programs from a sheet

I saw more interesting stuff in BASIC from Mr. Wizzard on TV and Compute! magazines. In the 6th grade we had to do some LOGO stuff and the teacher didn't like messing with the computers so she just took us out on the playground and made every kid a turtle and had us walk the programs out in the sand. Don't even need a computer for that kind of stuff. Anybody who ever played a board game or knitted a scarf has done more logic than what a school child will ever see in a classroom. Kids will learn more about logic in a math class than they'll ever get in a few stupid programming tricks lessons in computer lab.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682234
Here in the US, we have a serious problem with kids having trouble reading or doing basic math after graduating high school (if they graduate at all). Every year a higher percentage of kids find themselves rejected from the colleges because they can't meet the entrance exams. They wind up in the community colleges and spend a year or more taking prerequisite classes which yield no credits before they can even start taking college level classes.

I'm not surprised by this. Another NWO control system, that's why you had the right to bear arms in the first place. Not that I would encourage US citizens to rebel against the psychos running the place but...

In the UK kids are just being taught their future assigned slave positions, no need to be a reasoning human being just as long as you can do a job. It's all so f 'ed up.

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #119 from previous page: March 02, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
I was contacted by Newark/element14 to process a pre-order for the R-Pi to be shipped appx April 4th.  Well, I did not get in during the initial sales frenzy but at least I did not have to wait long to order.  For me the size of the device will lend it self to many small embedded projects.  The price certainly makes owning one a no brainer.  Time will tell how successful the device will be based on how developers embrace it and make it useful for learning.  But, for the rest of us hacks just another tool to make something happen. :biglaugh:
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered