Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is emulation based x86 machines in Amiga cases really a no no? or......  (Read 7965 times)

Description:

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Is emulation based x86 machines in Amiga cases really a no no? or......
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;672155
If someone takes the case from a busted A600 and puts a mini PC board in it and installs UAE on it, I have no problem with that. What I object to is the idea of selling PCs in Amiga-ish cases as "Amiga," when they're nothing of the sort.

+1 for treating PC's in Amiga cases as false advertisement.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;672225
+1 for treating PC's in Amiga cases as false advertisement.

Same can be said for PPC mobo in a Amiga Case.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
To each his own, but half the fun of that type of retro thing is doing it yourself. If I was to ever use a uae based "amiga" Id either use a shell from a dead amiga or make the casing myself.
Although I really dont think I would anyway. My amithlon box is much better suited to a tower and my a1200 (in original casing) covers the rest.

The one exception here is that it still appeals to me to use a sff pc inside a cd32 (or cdtv) case to make a more powerful version of the console.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »
Quote from: SaMiga;672171

I'm also using it for feeding my ZX Spectrum, with fastloading games.

You may be interested in the ZX Spectrum laptop then :)

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
Quote from: dammy;672229

I am in agreement for once in my life *shock*. For me personally PPC stuff like x1000 and and SAM460 running UAE for Amiga OS4.2 are no more Amiga than a DELL PC running Windows and WinUAE for me either. Other people have their reasons for needing 1ghz OS4 compatible machines sure but I don't see it as Amiga if it can't load my original Cinemaware 3.5 floppy disks directly. For me that is the definition of an Amiga.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
Interesting responses to poll and in thread comments. It's not that I want C-USA to do this at all and this is not what I would consider related to the Amiga (ie Commodore machines built from 1985-1994) but merely a custom PC for retro fans out there who can't do this for themselves. Essentially what you would be paying for would be the service of doing the construction/design/engineering work. I am sure many of us here could do this ourselves tomorrow if we really wanted to, but there are people out there who wouldn't know where to start with such a project.

Let me just be clear that what I was trying to gage is if there are any people in the world who would buy a reasonably priced (ie no more than your semi budget average PC in PC World) computer that looks like an Amiga to get a bit more of the enjoyment of the nostalgia trip of playing all those old games on UAE/WinUAE.

Approx 200-300 people obviously bought a C64x to do just that, and that's without any kind of interface to use real 9 pin classic joysticks :)

If people wanted it, and at a very reasonable price, this can happen. It's like anything in the business world, if there is a demand......

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;672243
Approx 200-300 people obviously bought a C64x to do just that, and that's without any kind of interface to use real 9 pin classic joysticks :)
Oh, were there finally some figures released?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 01:50:07 AM »
I'd rather stick a beagleboard or similar in an old Amiga case and hang around for the ARM native AROS port to be honest. If a cutting edge ARM machine running AmigaOS would magically appear I'd snap it up, but people throw away x86 machines that are perfectly capable of running an Amiga emulator so I'm hardly going to fork out for one because it has a nice case.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »
Quote from: gunni;672320
I'd rather stick a beagleboard or similar in an old Amiga case and hang around for the ARM native AROS port to be honest. If a cutting edge ARM machine running AmigaOS would magically appear I'd snap it up, but people throw away x86 machines that are perfectly capable of running an Amiga emulator so I'm hardly going to fork out for one because it has a nice case.

So a lower power more expensive ARM board compared to AMD £99 MiniITX/CPU setup to run a less stable/more complicated version of UAE emulation on via a non existent release of AROS for playing old Amiga games via ADFs? nice :)

(If it can't physically load actual Amiga floppy disks and doesn't have a Paula chip on the motherboard it isn't actually an Amiga)

I would like to direct you all to the following site to post your feelings on the subject of a new Amiga :)

http://www.the-amiga.blogspot.com

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
we're kind of philosiphising (however you spell that) about what makes an amiga an amiga. is it not what we do with it that counts? or is it all about the environment in which we do what we do?
for me i'd like to slap in a floppy disk of lotus2, and run a link up game.
and if a catweasel card in an x86 pc lets me do that...?

apparently, these OS4.x machines allow you to run your old 680x0 software at speeds unheard of in the "good ol' days". would you not like to run your cinema3D stuff at the kind of speeds undreamed of years ago?

i dunno. i'm all for progress, so long as i don't loose the amiga "feeling" along the way.
what that is, is different for everyone.

i've also thought about running a mini PC, and somehow butcher a PCI slot to hook up to a miggies cpu slot and run x86 (with a 68k emu) as an accelerator...

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
Quote from: dammy;672229

Wrong!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;672347
Wrong!
Actually Dammy is bang on! Would you care to explain your conclusion?

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »
My Amiga case with a PPC board is NOT false advertising.
It's an Amiga in an Amiga case (what makes an Amiga case is highly debatable anyway) running a real, proper Amiga Operating system.
Not some wannabe Linux based OS.
A LADA with a BMW body is still a LADA.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:03:09 AM by TheDaddy »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;672353
My Amiga case with a PPC board is NOT false advertising.
It's an Amiga in an Amiga case (what makes an Amiga case is highly debatable anyway) running a real, proper Amiga Operating system.
Not some wannabe Linux based OS.
A LADA with a BMW body is still a LADA.
I also have a PPC board in my Amiga... But that is an Amiga... What we are talking about here are new machines, is there any difference between a x86 based motherboard and a PPC one in an "Amiga" case?

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;672242
I am in agreement for once in my life *shock*. For me personally PPC stuff like x1000 and and SAM460 running UAE for Amiga OS4.2 are no more Amiga than a DELL PC running Windows and WinUAE for me either.

Some people like to run the OS natively on their computers, which is their reason for owning these machines. If WinUAE works for you then fine, and chances are you don't need to buy a CUSA machine to use it. I'm well aware that the X1000 and SAM machines aren't classic Amigas, but they're an evolution of it, hence the tag "next generation." They run the OS, and for me that's what's important. I'm not that interested in running 25 year old games that bang the hardware, so I only use UAE when I need a mobile solution, and for the odd time I do want to play games, I've a customised A1200 as part of my home entertainment system which does everything I want in that respect.

Other people have their reasons for needing 1ghz OS4 compatible machines sure but I don't see it as Amiga if it can't load my original Cinemaware 3.5 floppy disks directly. For me that is the definition of an Amiga.

I have bunches of PC software on 3.5" floppy disk I can't put on my PC either. Does that make my PC not a PC? Running Cinemaware 3.5 is a pretty esoteric definition of an Amiga, although as your opinion it's fine. But it's not something I've ever tried on any of my Amigas. Does that mean my Amigas aren't Amigas, just because they've never run Cinemaware?
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 22, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;672354
What we are talking about here are new machines, is there any difference between a x86 based motherboard and a PPC one in an "Amiga" case?

Very little, if the x86 box was running AmigaOS or, say, a mature AROS with more seamless 68k integration... Then they're pretty similar indeed.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com