Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is emulation based x86 machines in Amiga cases really a no no? or......  (Read 7972 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
Is the proposed price point of the ones Commodore USA were planning to build the actual problem, which was effectively maybe 4x the cost of the x86 components.

Put it this way, would you buy a reasonably priced A1200 look alike computer running on an i7 or an i5/Llano based A600 look alike computer?

And if this is something some people would consider what is a reasonable price point do you think for this sort of thing

I'm not saying it's good or bad I am asking if you took away the excessive price tags for the proposed Amiga/c64x i7 machines would they then become something you would consider, even as a novelty, to get your WinUAE kicks on for example?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:58:26 AM by Amiga_Nut »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Is emulation based x86 machines in Amiga cases really a no no? or......
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »
If someone takes the case from a busted A600 and puts a mini PC board in it and installs UAE on it, I have no problem with that. What I object to is the idea of selling PCs in Amiga-ish cases as "Amiga," when they're nothing of the sort.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:48:12 AM »
If this is really cheapo chinawares, and AROS boots, and a side dish 'Borek' to go please. :drink:
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:02:52 AM »
I'd love it if my PC came in an A1000 or A3000 replica case, just for $%%'s and giggles. Would be much more interesting to look at than what I have to look at now. No, I wouldn't expect it be an Amiga or act like an Amiga. And no I wouldn't pay very much for this.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 05:45:05 AM »
For retro and sentimental value, there would be a lot of interested parties I suspect.  At 4x the price of any comparable machine just via the fact it's a "custom case", not up my alley in the least but such offerings have appealed to some people I suppose.

I always hated the Amiga wedge boxes, but if I had the option to purchase an A4000 style or other Amiga retro case that took commodity form PC motherboards, I would gladly if it was from a reputable company.  If and only if the price on said cases is comparable to the otherwise already available "generic" PC cases by guys like Thermaltake and etc. AIO/wedge PC's have always turned my stomach, even going back to the A500, heh - again, just preference.  I do understand why people likethem from a space saving aspect, though - but I've been using a KVM for 10 years, so space isn't much of a concern.

I have never been a fan of buying prebuilt pc's, regardless of what case they come in, mainly due to the fact putting together a custom PC via components is dead simple even for a first timer these days.  Same reason I had no interest in the X1000 since you cannot just buy the motherboard/OS package sans case, but building my own rigs is mainly preference and it's infinitely cheaper than buying prebuilt more enthusiast grade pc's.  If you can operate a TV remote, you can assemble a PC from parts.

Last prebuilt desktop PC I bought was in the late 90's, tbh - and I'd never buy one again for personal use, so the prebuilt fully built system ideal doesn't appeal to me.

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »
Off the shelf hardware is the only way forward if that means X86 so be it. As for the retro case that's up to the purchaser, personally MEH.

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »
Without even reading the thread fully, let me say:

As LONG as I have a single real live working Amiga, THAT'S what I use...
Look, I applaud the skills of hardware hackers, etc... but... the miggy means too much to me, to be anything BUT a real miggy....

(see Sig. for details! :) )

---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline SaMiga

• Show only replies by SaMiga
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:11:05 AM »
Well, im still having great fun with my x86 PicoITX in a old A600 case,

It's now running a fast linux distro (CrunchBang Linux), and boots with E-UAE With Green Alien Edition, to give it a 'Real Retro Like Look' , it's also Running AmiKit, AmigaSYS 4, ScummVM, DosBox, Zsnes, Mupen64, some ZX Spectrum EMU, and CPCAmstrad emulation, but since the CPU is limited to 1ghz, it's quite slow for PSx emulation.

I'm also using it for feeding my ZX Spectrum, with fastloading games.

But The Real Deal is my Amigas,, nothing compares to it.

PS: i got some old pictures in my gallery about the thing.
----------------------------
1* Amiga 500
1* Amiga 600 in A500 Case
2* Amiga 600
1* Amiga 2000
1* Amstrad CPC6128
1* ZX Spectrum 48k.
1* Amiga Emubox i A600 Case
-----------------------------

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »
I think that while the Amiga 1000 had a wonderfully slim case and a keyboard garage, none of the Amiga cases was as iconic as the original C64. So I think there is not as much value in giving us "just the case".

Amiga was not about the name or the case. Any case that is friendly, compact, sturdy and elegant can be an Amiga case. DonĀ“t make it black or siver, please!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
I already use Emulation (on a Notebook with Windows 7) so I do not need a new "emulated" system. There is nothing innovative in the concepts that justify to buy it. And they are (up to now) not investing in the community and even spoke bad in public. We have to wait and see if their new offer is serious, perhaps they have changed their minds because their concept with the new "C64" failed.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;672187
I already use Emulation (on a Notebook with Windows 7) so I do not need a new "emulated" system. There is nothing innovative in the concepts that justify to buy it.

QFT

I have an x86 laptop which I use to do some coding / tinkering when I'm away from home. It's running UAE and OS3.9, and it would be very easy to make it "boot" directly into UAE. That's old hat at this stage though, and there are pleny of options there already. While a new machine sold with that configuration might be nice, it's hardly new or exciting, or anything more than vaguely interesting.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Quote from: Daedalus;672189
QFT

I have an x86 laptop which I use to do some coding / tinkering when I'm away from home. It's running UAE and OS3.9, and it would be very easy to make it "boot" directly into UAE. That's old hat at this stage though, and there are pleny of options there already. While a new machine sold with that configuration might be nice, it's hardly new or exciting, or anything more than vaguely interesting.

"old hat" is old hat you know.  :)

Why would you pay all that money for something you can basically set up for free.  Most people throw out x86 PCs that will run Linux/XP and Win UAE fine.

Ive got a pentium 4 2.2 Ghz with a Nvidia 5500 sitting idle on the floor beside me.  Hmmmmm  :)

As for the case. Well if you wanna pay the $ then enjoy...

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;672194
"old hat" is old hat you know.  :)

Why would you pay all that money for something you can basically set up for free.  Most people throw out x86 PCs that will run Linux/XP and Win UAE fine.

Umm, I think you slightly missed my point there. I'm basically saying the same as you, that it's all been done before, years ago, and isn't anything to get even remotely excited about.

Ive got a pentium 4 2.2 Ghz with a Nvidia 5500 sitting idle on the floor beside me.  Hmmmmm  :)

As for the case. Well if you wanna pay the $ then enjoy...

Indeed. The laptop I use for UAE on the move is an early Core2 Duo which performed miserably under Vista. I was given it *for free* when the owner bought a Macbook to replace it. It runs UAE just fine - I couldn't bring myself to pay good money for a machine like that when, as you say, you can do it all for free.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
To me, the wedge just seems like an outdated form factor.... So Borek, it is.  If CUSA or whoever can sell a few units based on a retro look, good luck, and more power to 'em.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;672155
If someone takes the case from a busted A600 and puts a mini PC board in it and installs UAE on it, I have no problem with that. What I object to is the idea of selling PCs in Amiga-ish cases as "Amiga," when they're nothing of the sort.

+1 for treating PC's in Amiga cases as false advertisement.