Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: creating a text adventure, but with what programming language?  (Read 7976 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: creating a text adventure, but with what programming language?
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 01:08:19 AM »
Quote from: runequester;603652
I appreciate all the suggestions guys :)

I am keen on using something that can later be used to develop other applications or games too, rather than a tool that purely does text adventure, as I want this to be a starting point.

But its a brave new world out there, and I'll have to get my feet wet anyways :)

My Amiga resolution is to master 68k assembly, perhaps you could code your game in assembly and we could help each other with the learning process?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;603663
My Amiga resolution is to master 68k assembly, perhaps you could code your game in assembly and we could help each other with the learning process?

I've thought about going hardcore and learning assembly but I am a little intimidated I must admit.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:20 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;603637
Well, I'm more of a C/C++ guy

So you prefer sissy's do you... :lol:

(Sorry couldn't resist that one... think me antibiotics and me normal meds are making me brain go a wee bit wibble like... :))

@ nicholas

Nice to see someone taking an interest in 68K assembly, its my preferred langauge (other than Scottish), if you want some examples of 68K source code just let me know and I'll send you some of my own stuff (DevPac 68k format) for you to look at and hopefully learn from... :)

It's all stuff I've written myself over the years, just don't ask me to explain all there is to know about 68K though as I can easily code in it but explaining to someone how to actually do it is not my strong point... :)

You can also download some examples of my source code from here for now if you wish (it ranges from the useful to the downright obscure)... :)

http://www.commodorescotland.com/#/downloads/4544143499
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:28:41 AM by Franko »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:16 AM »
Quote from: runequester;603668
I've thought about going hardcore and learning assembly but I am a little intimidated I must admit.

I keep trying to convince myself of NO PAIN NO GAIN! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:26 AM »
Quote from: Franko;603671
@ nicholas

Nice to see someone taking an interest in 68K assembly, its my preferred langauge (other than Scottish), if you want some examples of 68K source code just let me know and I'll send you some of my own stuff (DevPac 68k format) for you to look at and hopefully learn from... :)

It's all stuff I've written myself over the years, just don't ask me to explain all there is to know about 68K though as I can easily code in it but explaining to someone how to actually do it is not my strong point... :)

You can also download some examples of my source code from here for now if you wish (it ranges from the useful to the downright obscure)... :)

http://www.commodorescotland.com/#/downloads/4544143499

Thanks Franko that's very kind of you.

I actually taught myself a bit in the early 90's but gave it up for x86 assembly when I got my first PC circa 1994.  Then came work and years of high level stuff to pay the bills.

This time next year I want to be comfortably able to write some intros/demos in the oldskool style.

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 02:40:47 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;603627
@ yakumo9275

Actually, Inform7 is out. I've been playing with it a little bit. It's an interesting approach for an (effectively) dead art form. :)

inform7 sucks ass. Dont know if the gui/front end is ported to amiga classic, but since it outputs inform6... but without the frontend inform7 is useless

and the inform6 compiler is pretty basic ansi c it should build just fine on the miggy if one cant find any ports of the i6 compiler.
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »
About Perl
Quote from: Karlos;603637
http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/substr.html

That is 200x better than Asm.
That is 100x better than C.
That is about exactly the same as any random halfway decent version of BASIC.
That is not as good as True BASIC.  Its just not even trying.
Fail.

I am not saying the language is a failure because I have not studied it enough to know.  I am saying that your claim of Perl string handling superiority is a failure. :)

Trying to compare Perl to a language that was actually designed to handle strings efficiently is just not going to work out that well. :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
So in saying something molests a donkey does that make that something good or bad?  I'm not real good with contemporary Americanisms...

Quote from: yakumo9275;603687
inform7 sucks ass. Dont know if the gui/front end is ported to amiga classic, but since it outputs inform6... but without the frontend inform7 is useless

and the inform6 compiler is pretty basic ansi c it should build just fine on the miggy if one cant find any ports of the i6 compiler.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
Quote from: persia;603693
So in saying something molests a donkey does that make that something good or bad?  I'm not real good with contemporary Americanisms...

since I'm Australian, I wouldnt know.
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
How about making one in AmigaGuide?  Instead of typing, you can use buttons as options.  No need to install anything in case you don't have it, just click and play.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;603691
Trying to compare Perl to a language that was actually designed to handle strings efficiently is just not going to work out that well. :)

I'm sorry but you simply have no idea what you are talking about if you think that Perl is surpassed for string manipulation by BASIC.

Perl has been text processing for the masses for over 20 years. The language was created to process text efficiently, which necessitates efficient string handling at every level, from basic search/replace down to how strings are allocated. There is not a string-manipulation task you can think of that it can't already do in half a dozen different ways, most of which do not require anything beyond the language syntax itself (ie, you don't even need to invoke a function).

You need look no further than the fact that regular expressions are actually built into the language and Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE) have become the yardstick by which most other regular expression processors are measured against. You can't have a bigger lust for string manipulation in a language than that.

Your cited example of reading substrings and inserting them elsewhere is laughably insignificant compared to the power and flexibility of PCRE alone. Without even using their most powerful constructs (I was using PHP's PCRE implementation), I got this site working in classic browsers with all the necessary rewriting of HTML, stripping of CSS etc. on the fly that this entailed. Not just a bit of search and replace, entire transformations where a CSS popup menu matched in one part of the document becomes an option select with javascript trigger in another just so that you can have some of the functionality of the main site in IBrowse. The entire proxy would simply have been incomprehensibly difficult to do without PCRE.

How easy would that be to do in BASIC with substr() calls, do you think?
int p; // A

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;603691

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is a comment made out of pure ignorance.

Nice of you to give the TrueBasic code to compare, too. Even though the task given is ridiculously simple (and pointless, it would break with internationalisation for a start - how does TrueBasic handle that?). How is TrueBasic's regular expression engine?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:24:40 PM by Hattig »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 12:24:35 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;603742
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is a comment made out of pure ignorance.

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow here. Perl is a hideous language syntactically (though it is possible to write clean code, it's just that nobody ever does) but you have to give it it's dues; is there anything it can't do with text strings?
int p; // A

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
Ahh I used to love writing adventure games with graphics (coloured character ROM graphics!) on my C64 with Commodore BASIC lol. Good memories :)

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;603744
Yeah, that raised an eyebrow here. Perl is a hideous language syntactically (though it is possible to write clean code, it's just that nobody ever does) but you have to give it it's dues; is there anything it can't do with text strings?

Perl is a text processing monster.  I've known Perl for about 13 years now, and it is all I ever use when I need to do more complex text parsing than what's sane in a UNIX shell.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 04, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;603755
Ahh I used to love writing adventure games with graphics (coloured character ROM graphics!) on my C64 with Commodore BASIC lol. Good memories :)

When I was about 7 or 8 and the c64 pretty near to a new machine, me and a friend decided to write some adventure games. We used to call ourselves Zentih software (which I believe is actully in use today for a real business rather than 2 primrary school kids having fun) and our slogan was, "Not bad for 99 cents". We had delusions of selling our software, and due to its humble nature decided 99 cents was the way to go.  :)
Mostly off topic, but good memories nonetheless.
What is semi interesting however was an original way we came up with to control our text adventures. Rather than soley text based, we made up some gfx for the commands and a sprite based cursor, with which a person could select thier command. Additionally inventory would also be shown as graphics rather than text. I guess why I remember this is because some years later games like The Labyrinth (awesome under-rated game in my opinion, the true precursor to point n click adventure games) were released, and later on games like Maniac Mansion and Zakk Mkracken started appearing, all featuring some of the elements of "Zenith Software" adventure games.
Im sure it's nothing more than a coincidence, but boy, would I have liked to have patented it :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:57:38 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.