Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga Is A Toy - By Local Government Official...  (Read 8268 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
Re: The Amiga Is A Toy - By Local Government Official...
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
Quote from: Franko;588831
@ Vidarh
(PS:It's always winter here in Scotland, my granda once told me about this thing called the SUN but I think he was making it up...) :)

Yeah, yeah.. I'm Norwegian. You guys don't know what winter is :P

(though apparently I probably have a Scottish slave amongst my viking-age ancestors, according to DNA testing one of my cousins had done, so I guess that explains why I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to the weather)

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
All this nationalistic talk got me thinking back to the good old days of the Four Nations Tournament. Those were the days, when we would we Scots, Irish & welsh would descend on Wembley for the annual nicking of the the hallowed turf and the borrowing of the English goalposts. :)

That was until the English F.A. chickened out and banned us celts then took the ball and went home saying we're not playing anymore... :(

But as you know by now I'm a bit of dreamer when it comes to the Amiga and most things in life, never give up hope I say. Well looks like one of my remaining dreams may be coming true again, cos it looks like the Four Nations Tournament is coming back in 2011, albeit without the English (Boo... Chickens... Buck, Buck, Buck) :roflmao:

Four Nations Tournament To Return In 2011

It's amazing but I'm actually in this picture from 1977, when we gubbed ra English 2-1 at Wembley... :biglaugh:

Looks like 2011 will be the time to dig out the old Tartan Bunnet, the Ginger Curly wig and the flared jeans with tartan bottoms... :banana:

@ Cammy
Naw, I just made sure I took a double dose of me medication before he arrived, otherwise I might be up on a murder charge right now... :)

Offline Sandman

• Show only replies by Sandman
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
Reminds me of the early 1990's when I went into a local computer shop and asked 'do you guys deal in Amiga computers' just to have the nerdy salesguy say "No, we only deal with professional computers in this store" in a snotty tone.  I replied 'oh, you mean like windows computers' in a sarcastic tone and then I was literally asked to leave the store.   I should have contacted the local Better Business Bureau on that but they went out of business in about 6 months.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;588767
I suspect he bought one for his kids as a games machine hence the association as a 'toy'.

For the vast majority of the public this is exactly how Amiga was seen.  The marketing Commodore did at the time didn't exactly push it as a serious computer either!

sadly its true and only ibm pc at the time was looked on as a computer, something you used at work...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;588839
...(though apparently I probably have a Scottish slave amongst my viking-age ancestors, according to DNA testing one of my cousins had done....

dude..I'm not even gonna ask:huh:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;588839
Yeah, yeah.. I'm Norwegian. You guys don't know what winter is :P

(though apparently I probably have a Scottish slave amongst my viking-age ancestors, according to DNA testing one of my cousins had done, so I guess that explains why I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to the weather)

Eye but you softy Norwegiks dinnae wer a kilt dae ye, try dain rat an see whit happens tae yer dangly bits in winter... :eek:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »
Quote from: hardlink;588780
Not sure what that means,

He called the limey git a Saxon. Read up on your Scotts English history. The Brits have never treated the Scotts well. Not that they every really got along in the first place.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Quote from: A1260;588844
sadly its true and only ibm pc at the time was looked on as a computer, something you used at work...

Oddly, they rarely did work...

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
All ya gotta do is towerize that A1200 and it suddenly becomes a "computer" to just about everyone -- even to stupid people.

Offline tone007

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;588849
Eye but you softy Norwegiks dinnae wer a kilt dae ye, try dain rat an see whit happens tae yer dangly bits in winter... :eek:

All this talk of Norway and Scotland reminds me of Orkney!

Look out for Skullsplitter!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
He then had the cheek to say 'but yes, in this day and age no-one would seriously use one of those let alone call it a computer', at this point I promptly told him to shut his ruddy cakehole do his inspection job and bugger off..

Which is no doubt why he's doing such a technically demanding job as working out how much money needs to be screwed out of you based on the size of your house. I would have told him he was paid to tick the relevant boxes and if I wanted technical advice from someone totally unqualified to give it, I'd ring my ISP's helpline.
int p; // A

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
Quote from: hardlink;588780
Not sure what that means, but I offer better-
Let's see, you are required to let in a person you pay with your taxes, who then proceeds to insult you and raise your taxes more. Idea! We have many extra, so how about we export a shipload of 'Tea Party' activists to Scotland? They will follow them around with bullhorns ranting about the taxes, gov'mnt overstepping, and hitler!
You say that as if it were a bad thing. ;-)
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Quote from: coldfish;588791
"The Amiga Is A Toy."
This is a pretty good guage of what the average (non amigan) person thinks of the Amiga in 2010.

Most hobbies involve some sort of "toy".

If they do they are idiots, Amiga was a revolutionary state of the art machine (A1000) to a genuine alternative (A4000 on launch day) and now they are all vintage computers. Amiga was never a toy, it was a creative machine or an awesome [when programmed properly] games computer that did some things better than a Megadrive (shit twangy music) pfff (Lotus II is impossible on the SNES) or PC (shit OS that broke at the mere though of multimedia in 1985-1993) and Mac (overpriced single tasking bollox)

This is my potted history of the computing past, feel free to print this out and superglue it to the eyeballs of non-believing Macwankers/Doswankers/Nintendopes :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »
I think the "toy" part is possibly a reflection of the times the Amiga was commercially succesful and to a degree Commodore wanting the Amiga to be Commodore64-The Sequel. Back in those days computers were regarded as toys geeks/nerds played with (the fact that videogames were thier main home use probably contributed to this a bit) by the general population. The Amiga500 was by far and away the most popular Amiga sold, and although it could be used for a lot of other stuff, it was considered a games machine. Most of Joe Public with no real interest probably do vaguely remember the Amiga as "oh, they had good games back in the 80's".
  The irony here is that a big, clunky, heavy pc with either monochrome or cga display + beeps was considered a "serious" machine. Also perphaps a touch ironic is that the Amiga's real charms didnt really surface until after it's era of dominance. (sure, for it's time an ocs/ecs amiga had some impressive software, but for me at least the Amiga experience didnt really start maturing until ks2.x/wb2.x and a harddrive were involved, and only really starts shining with '030+fast ram+Ks3.x/OS3.x).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;588808
When I grow up, I want to be able to put in this much snark into my posts :lol:

Man that is epic, cheers for the chuckle :D
yeah, that was quite brilliant.

and to that tax idiot, I would add: this "toy" also generated Emmy Awards so he can just go suck it.

so to speak  :)
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 02, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;588865
If they do they are idiots, Amiga was a revolutionary state of the art machine (A1000) to a genuine alternative (A4000 on launch day) and now they are all vintage computers. Amiga was never a toy, it was a creative machine or an awesome [when programmed properly] games computer that did some things better than a Megadrive (shit twangy music) pfff (Lotus II is impossible on the SNES) or PC (shit OS that broke at the mere though of multimedia in 1985-1993) and Mac (overpriced single tasking bollox)

This is my potted history of the computing past, feel free to print this out and superglue it to the eyeballs of non-believing Macwankers/Doswankers/Nintendopes :)

Oh wow, you sure did tell off 21 years ago.  Man I bet 1989 is feelin' the burn from that one.

HEAR THAT, PAST?  YOU SUCK!
Back away from the EU-SSR!