Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Timberwolf screenshots!  (Read 8211 times)

Description:

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
Re: New Timberwolf screenshots!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »
Quote from: efrenmgp;535597
They can on the Pegasos II, although a little expensive and hard to find, I admit :(

Regards,
Efren

Yep, unfortunately Amiga stuff has never been cheap... so you gotta get used to it :D

Cheers,

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 12:36:29 AM »
We look forward to see more information.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:14 AM »
I can't seem to get those funky compiz-esque dropshadows on my OS4.1 windows. I have the compositing feature enabled but don't seem to have any options for such effects.
int p; // A

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »
Still has that unnecessary bar along the side, still has very un-Amiga-like horrible looking drop down menus attached to the top of the window, and yes, it's still just crappy, bloated Firefox, the browser that runs like a snail on a 1.6Ghz Linux PC. I can't imagine how slow it'll be on a 600Mhz Sam. They do claim to want to fix these things for Timbrewolf... yet with each new screenshot they leak, it still looks the same.

But look, the screenshots weren't to show off their progress on porting this Linux software to their OS, it's to show off their overhyped new project, or at least tease people about it and get their hopes up that it's actually something impressive.
Amiga user forever.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:09:29 AM »
It's just a browser, if they can't get the plug-ins to work it's a pointless exercise....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 04:18:21 AM »
Exactly, and as far as plain browsers go, OWB is and has been fine for some time. Tiberwolf seems pointless to me when there are other applications we need more than a second or third browser.
Amiga user forever.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 04:47:41 AM »
Quote from: Dragster;535629
Yep, unfortunately Amiga stuff has never been cheap... so you gotta get used to it :D

Actually when Commodore was still around the Amiga was the most cost effective computer ever conceived.

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;535637
Still has that unnecessary bar along the side, still has very un-Amiga-like horrible looking drop down menus attached to the top of the window, and yes, it's still just crappy, bloated Firefox, the browser that runs like a snail on a 1.6Ghz Linux PC. I can't imagine how slow it'll be on a 600Mhz Sam. They do claim to want to fix these things for Timbrewolf... yet with each new screenshot they leak, it still looks the same.

But look, the screenshots weren't to show off their progress on porting this Linux software to their OS, it's to show off their overhyped new project, or at least tease people about it and get their hopes up that it's actually something impressive.

The bar down the side is just an intuition thing. You either specify the resize window gadget to be on the side or underneath. This can be changed, and from what I've gathered, it will be changed.. but its not a high priority..

The un amiga like menus are there because they're porting the browser first (using the built in GUI?) and then making it Amiga like as soon as they can afterwards..

I'm with you in assuming it will be slower than IBrowse and AWeb due to being more than a text editor with inline images, but I seriously doubt it will be unusable in terms of speed.

You complain that a screenshot doesnt show anything new.. how can a picture show a gethostbyname() race condition bugfix?? or whatever it was they were doing.. how can a picture show newly added hardware accelerated scrolling??

How can you call it Linux software? it runs on Windows and Mac too. Programming languages, dependencies, source code, blah blah, its getting harder to say something belongs to one platform. if it builds and runs on another system with a native GUI, then...??

But yes, I agree.. it WAS an advertising gimmick for their "most ambitious project". and I love it. :) I mean, each Amiga platform has its strengths, and thats why we're all splintered and using something different to chat with WookieChat on (cough), but I wish people would stop sneering at the "other sides". I'm sorry people have a go at you on IRC for not wanting or being able to afford an expensive Sam though.. I dont want to come across as being one of those guys.

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »
Quote from: persia;535645
It's just a browser, if they can't get the plug-ins to work it's a pointless exercise....

Isnt a Firefox plugin just a javascript script?

If so, would that be hard to implement?

Even so, after porting the whole browser, dont you think it's plugin system would be a little easier?

Offline Tension

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
pfft

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
Quote from: jahc;535657
Isnt a Firefox plugin just a javascript script?

If so, would that be hard to implement?

Even so, after porting the whole browser, dont you think it's plugin system would be a little easier?

A plugin can be as simple as a javascript file and some XUL interface stuff, or it can be as complex as a set of binaries.

Heck, google are working on something called Native Client (NaCl) which is an x86 native environment that allows plugins to be written directly for x86 but without caring about the specific platform's OS or even the browser, provided it supports the currently accepted norms for binary plugins.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
It's nice to be finally getting a firefox port but I have to admit, I've grown quite fond of OWB as a basic browser.
int p; // A

Offline tone007

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
the browser that runs like a snail on a 1.6Ghz Linux PC. I can't imagine how slow it'll be on a 600Mhz Sam.

No idea what the issue might be with your Linux PC, but I was just running Firefox usably on an old 233mhz subnotebook (albeit version 2.0) for the past few days, and the newest runs like a dream on my 1.6GHz Atom netbooks.  600mhz is more than enough for everything but heavy Flash junk like Youtube.

or at least tease people about it and get their hopes up that it's actually something impressive.

Porting something as big as Firefox to AmigaOS sounds pretty impressive to me.  I'll agree OWB does work fine on 4.1, but on a next to abandoned platform like Amiga, better to let the developers do what makes them happy/attracts attention/whatever, who knows, maybe they'll pick up a few new tricks along the way and decide to port OpenOffice or something.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »
Quote from: Dragster;535628
@Fab

Can't Agree more.

@Boudicca

Both OSes are running happily here on my Pegasos II... definately your best option, it's not new hardware though.

Cheers,
Dragster

Yep and thats a dead end as far as I can see. What infuriates me is where are those philanthropic software houses who cashed in when the amiga was the biz and now shun their long lost family. All it would take was a 10million of loose change to get the amiga to be at least worthy of note. I would pay good money for a box that was an Amiga at heart and not an Faux Amiga in waiting.

It drives like an Amiga, Sounds like an Amiga, Looks like an Amiga, why not buy an Amiga.! Dam if VW can work the magic, I'm sure someone can make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:04:56 PM by Boudicca »
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »
Amiga users have been moaning for years about the lack of a decent browser. Now somebody is attempting to port Firefox, and people are whinging about that. Some people will never be satisfied :rolleyes:

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 02, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

*sighs* I pop in once in a lifetime and see that things are the same here as they are everywhere. Of course you are entitled to your opinion (although it could have been presented a lot less offensive than you did). However, don't you think that work-in-progress screenshots do not necessarily represent the final product? Maybe that "unnecessary" bar is still there because we are currently reworking the way that AmigaOS sizes windows.

About the look, yes the default theme looks pretty horrible, we didn't bother to think about an AmigaOS default theme yet. These screenshots are there to present progress, nothing else. If you are building a house, you won't complain about the color of walls until they are actually painted, will you?

As for the speed, it will most likely be too slow for the classic. I think it will run alright on the SAM, depending on your definition of "alright" - I personally don't think Firefox is slow, although it seems to be a lot faster on Windows than it is on Linux.

Actually, they were intended to show off our progress on porting this Linux software to our OS that has been asked for since the source code of this Linux software was released, like, 8 years ago, a project that you are free to use or ignore as you like since we don't ask money for it (the donations are freely given, the project would probably be finished even if nobody had donated). It's the typical case of "take it or leave it", so I do not see any reason for you to put down the effort like this.

As for our overhyped new project, maybe you should again wait and see whether it is impressive or not. Your definition of "impressive" will certainly be adapted by you to proof your point here, but others will find it impressive, I am quite sure of that.

~~~ Rogue
Look out, I\'ve got a gun