Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did Producer Timbaland Steal From the Demoscene?  (Read 7273 times)

Description:

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: Did Producer Timbaland Steal From the Demoscene?
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:34:01 PM »
I hope they do something with it

Yeah, lots of publicity is as good as cash, which helps out the guy that has to go up against Timbalands lawyer zoo.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »
a still from Timbaland and Busta Rhymes in Studio

Now check this out: http://www.sidstation.com/

Kudos to "old64scener" for spotting this... :-)

Small explanation: The ripped version of the song is actually the C64 version by GRG (this is a fully legit cover, as explained here). Some people wondered how the C64 track was recorded, well here is the answer.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 11:58:11 PM »
Neat.  $1050, eh?  Back in high school I designed a 16 SID sound card.  It was decoded into stereo channels, eight SIDs each, by dividing up the I/O space in $DE00 for left and $DF00 for right.  Later I figured out that the 128 had better I/O space decoding and set it up to work in other ranges, including SID's mirror space using raw decoding of the address bus.

I wish I had built it.  At least I'd have 16 extra SIDs laying around now :-)

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 12:32:26 AM »
@Wilse: maybe get Bush and his gestapo to bomb the "world famous" rippers? :-D

Offline da9000

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »

weirdami wrote:
those lame still pictures fading in and out videos promoting childhood cancer. It's somehow worse than the Timbaland thing. :-(

"promoting childhood cancer" ??? I think that's a first one! The world IS going to hell! :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 12:36:24 AM »

Ask Tigger.
int p; // A

Offline da9000

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 12:39:11 AM »
@piru:

heh, so instead of just doing some research and using the MOD with a normal comptuer they went the long-winded road and bought a SidStation just to rip this :)

Awesome!

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 03:22:52 AM »
Not for nothing, but because I still own C64 hardware, I happily play SIDs on my laptop's crappy speaker using DeliPlayer or SIDplayer.  There's a SID player for the Amiga that I like as well.  But Stereo SID Player on a real C64 is tops.  mmmmmmmm of course there's the 8580 in the 128D, not exact, but I won't rehash any debates on the differences in sound and quality.

ANYWAY, the possibility of them having paid $1050 to steal this makes me feel a little better that there was a bit of a sting.  Although, it's not enough.

I sent an email to UMG (Universal Music Group, parent group of Geffen Records) pointing to the massive discussions about this.  Being MLK day, I doubt they'll see it until tomorrow, if they "see" it at all.  I also found Timbaland's MySpace profile and left a comment there, as well as an email.  I doubt the comment will make it past moderation, though.

Offline da9000

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 04:34:13 AM »
Hahaha, LoadWB,

I thought the same: glad they paid for it, and at least some cool guys (makers of the SIDStation) got something! But yeah, not enough of a "sting" :)

Offline Piru

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:55 PM »

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »
thats typical. Black rapper americans are about as musically talented as my a s shole.

Offline da9000

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 04:56:46 AM »
WOW! That page does NOT render even 50% right under Opera!
But good to hear that that it's getting some attention finally!

@mikrucio:
Nice blanket statement pal... I don't know this guy, Timbaland, although he doesn't strike me much like a talented guy, but like I said, I don't know much about him, and granted I don't really like or want to listen to rap (with DMX being the only exception), but a lot of these guys do have talent, maybe not in classical piano, but musical talent. I think it's the attitude they have that ruins true credibility/respectibility a lot of times. Which sucks, especially for them.

At the same time its partially understandable... I mean if I lived in a ghetto and life around me seemed biased, predetermined to be unsuccessful, and hopeless (no way to become a success as in the typical interpretation of success of a modern society), then I can see myself acting as if nothing matters and I don't care about anything and anybody, my life included. Then I can see myself having such an attitude. Then I can see myself resorting to grasping anything that gives me power, like guns and drug trade and blood money.

Of course, fortunately (or actually unfortunately because primarily it's not done out of pity, but for exploitational reasons) for these kids, there's MTV and various other recording/publishing companies and their money-hungry execs and suits, and they see plenty of $$$$ to be made when  these kids are turned into "stars". So the vicious cycle continues: poor black kids exploited by rich white guys, the only difference being that nowadays they have to give'em a "cut" of the riches (which many call it "giving them opportunities", which it's not). A small cut to become a slave of a different sort. Perhaps it's so. Perhaps not.

Anyways, feel free to ignore this monologue, I just had to write it

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 05:46:21 AM »
Excellent... "on the cover of the Rolling Stone" hehehehe

THAT will get peoples' attention.  And rightly so.

So my gf and I had a discussion about this tonight.  I am pretty ripped about this situation.  No, I have nothing at stake personally, but I have very deep issues with a person taking credit for someone else's accomplishments, creations, and so forth.  It is simply not right.  Like I posted on the Daily Hook,

And that is where it all falls: the unquestionable talent of those who truly create. Think about Tempest and GRG — lowly, unsigned, talented trackers unknown in mainstream popularity. How many people dream of the “accidental discovery.” I know as a hobbyist actor I kind-of hope that one day someone will see me and say “Hey! I want that guy in my movie!” (I will even settle for a commercial!) So Tempest creates a piece of original track work, and maybe one day someone like Timbaland comes along as says “Yo, dawg, yo $h1+ is tight! I wanna take this to the top with some phat beats and vocals. What you say?”

Instead, he just flat-out steals it. He did not even bother to kiss them or leave a couple of bucks on the dresser.

My statement does not address the intricacies of the situation, GRG cover of the Tempest original, but the principle remains.

Anyway, she does not get it, and I am sure a lot of people do not get it either.  Damn shame.

Offline da9000

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 05:51:35 AM »
@LoadWB:

I hear ya man! I agree 100% with you.  It doesn't take that much to be a nice guy, especially when you're in a position of "power" like this Timbaloney guy. And it will "earn" you a hell of a lot more. Like _real_ respect. He would have been trully "the top" if he had only "extended his hand". Heck, he'd even have all of the demo scene, part if not all of the retro scene and the SomethingAwefuls behind him!

But alas, integrity and civility is not something to be found easily in this world. :(

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
lol, from an amazon review of an album with the song in question:

"9.Do it-Another dance song. It's very cool and it kind of reminds me of a 80's song a bit."

Offline Piru

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 23, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
Music Television News

Never realized I'd live to see the day they play chipmusic (or SID music) on MTV... :-P