Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga (the company) dead?  (Read 7849 times)

Description:

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
Re: Is Amiga (the company) dead?
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »
I think we are there in the Amiga Platform as well. Aside from obvious copyright issues, there is no reason development on a modern Amiga OS could not begin exactly the same way. Build your functionality on top of a known solid system. IMO, that would not be Linux. BSD is an excellent choice because it is "rock solid".

That was exactly one of the ideas of the gateway era, get a kernel of other OS an put on top of it the Amiga APIs and ideas.First they thinked in QNX and was abandoned then they thinked in linux that also was abandoned.It´s sarcastic that was Amiga (well gateway) the fist who think on it, before even apple, and Apple later would follow this way with his OSX. this was back in the days  the response of the community about the use of a linux kernel for AmigaOS

Later gateway think in Amiga as only  a sort of a web based applets, also abandoned finally gateway decided do nothing with Amiga then appeared Amino that bought the rights to use the Amiga name and technologies (only has a lisence not are the owners) and born Amiga inc.

DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
@charliestu
Do not post links or requests for warez.
Warez in our definition is illegal software up to and including "abandonware". The exception is if the person is KNOWN to have the legal right to distribute said software. This is not debatable.

From Posting Guidelines

Offline BerndWTopic starter

• Show only replies by BerndW
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »
No VAT in the USA. If they send something internationally, the recipient is responsible for any of that.

That was true before 1. July 2003. But times change, as it was explained in this forum. Today even US companies have to collect VAT on online sales like downloadable games, if the customer is in the European Union:

- http://www.kagi.com/solutions/taxvat.html
- http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/2214671
- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/13/july_1_is_vat_day/

Offline SamOS39

• Show only replies by SamOS39
    • http://amigaknight.tk
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »
in their own sick and twisted way .. they ar still alive  :-)

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2006, 01:59:21 PM »
The fact that they haven't even responded to this thread is a pretty clear indication of how much contempt Amiga Inc has for this community.

It's rather pathetic, but the only signs of life as of late has been Vince Pfeiffer getting Amiga.org's Cafepress store shut down last week without warning for "trademark violations".  This in direct violation of their own licensing agreement which called for 30% of the sales price which I was willing to add into the price if you guys wanted to pay for it.  This, even in violation of my own written permission from Gateway's Amiga (which supercedes their own rights) to use said logo.

They (the zombies) know Cafepress would simply shut down Microsoft's own store if anyone complains, even if they have no evidence.  In Cafepress' eyes the burden of proof is on the store owner to take the complainer to court to settle for the rights.  

Luckily, since the Cafepress store actually cost us money to keep open, it's not worth fighting for, but it's still fairly pathetic that the only thing Amiga Inc has produced in 6 years is legal bullying and paperwork.. And they don't even OWN anything, Gateway does.  Not bad for the 5 million they threw away on it eh?

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »
In my opinion, the only chance that anything Amiga-related will return in a viable and appreciable form is through AROS.  It may take ten years from now, maybe more, but it may happen.  I hope the AROS developers don't lose interest.

It took a fair while for the browser war to re-ignite, and that's just for a web browser.

In my view, Commodore was the cause of the Amiga's death, by not pushing it as a business tool as well as a games machine.  The hardware (even if PPC is factored in) is too many generations behind the competition to catch up now.  Anything that comes from the Amiga's direction will be based what somebody liked about it, and that may appeal to some group of people who want to use it.  I don't think it is important that whatever is created actually appeals to anyone formerly of the Amiga community.

Good luck AROS, or Hyperion.  Hopefully at least one of you will manage to provide something that a decent-size audience will appreciate.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 04:36:44 PM »

BerndW wrote:
That's cos they're now a registered corporation in Delaware after the whole

Me totally confused now... This company is definitely not from Delaware...

They don't have to be based in Delaware, they just need an agent there to register them, file financial reports etc. It's just cos Delaware is more 'corporation friendly'..ie it saves Amiga Inc money.

KMOS, the 'company' set up by Hare was a registered Delaware corporation.
They 'bought' Amiga Inc, then changed their name from KMOS to Amiga Inc in 2003.
 Shortly after, Garry Hare left the all new Amiga Inc ( 20% less fat,40% more meaningless buzzwords) and suprise suprise,Bill McEwen reappeared in charge.

And if McEwen is reading this thread... Don't worry Bill, your job is almost done, only a thousand or so Amigans left to alienate and scare away to other platforms. Not a bad job considering there were 15,000 of us that bought OS3.5  :madashell:
On schedule, and suing

Offline monty

• Show only replies by monty
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2006, 08:10:42 PM »

irishmike wrote:
I use Macintosh because I hate Microsoft ...

I use Amiga because I do NOT like Makintosh, or even worse Ataree.

edit by admin : Watch the language please.

Offline JoePillow

• Show only replies by JoePillow
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2006, 04:22:32 PM »
It's rather pathetic, but the only signs of life as of late has been Vince Pfeiffer getting Amiga.org's Cafepress store shut down last week without warning for "trademark violations". This in direct violation of their own licensing agreement which called for 30% of the sales price which I was willing to add into the price if you guys wanted to pay for it. This, even in violation of my own written permission from Gateway's Amiga (which supercedes their own rights) to use said logo.

Who is Vince/what is his job at Amiga? Was your agreement with the Washington company, or the Delaware one?

Why did you (have to) enter into an agreement in the first place? There are no registered trademarks for those signs you use on your t-shirts, AFAIK.

Offline JoePillow

• Show only replies by JoePillow
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »
suprise suprise,Bill McEwen reappeared in charge.

What is Bill's real (daytime) job nowadays? He was a truck driver who had never seen an Amiga before being hired by Gateway, right?

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
I don't know what Vince Pfeiffer does, other than going around doing random harm to the Amiga community, pretty much like everyone still at Amiga Inc has done.

There are no registered trademarks for those signs you use on your t-shirts, AFAIK.

Again, Cafepress doesn't care.  You could probably write them claiming you're from Amiga and they'd neither care, nor check the facts before yanking your product.  That's not their job.  They just accept whatever anyone tells them and then make the seller prove that the complaintant is wrong.

Wayne

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
At this point in the Amiga's long and drawn out story should we be worrying!

We should be beyond the point of caring.  Sure we all had hopes that KMOS would bring back the Amiga in a big big way but alas it was never to be.  At least - that is how it looks.

KMOS bought Amiga for the name, the brand, the ability to market it again.  Who knows what the future holds.  Atari was Commodores nemesis way back and yet now they produce only software - as do Sega (for now).  Lets not speculate as to what may be.  Just be happy with what we have.

It's the community that makes Amiga these days.  Not the company holding the rights to the name.

Offline gdridi

• Show only replies by gdridi
    • http://cdridi.club.fr
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 08:32:17 PM »
Hello the world,

I'm a French former Amiga Developer (1992-1994).
The icon at the left is the arabics signature for Bourguiba Institute for foreign language "localized" in Tunis/ia. Well, well ...

Now, I use PC/XP at my work.
I see nothing spectaculer with Windows except a lot of professional & visual tools integrated in the GUI for managing the network and user account.

For Amiga, I'm waiting for foreign languages support like arabics and chineese support because all the people who are attending for such an Amiga revolution are now in this countries.

Sincerely, yours.
Gilles DRIDI
French Former Amiga Developer (1992-1994)
Advocacy for Free Exec [AmigaNews february-march 1997 n°98/99]
http://cdridi.club.fr
Exec[/...

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »

Someone with a couple of $ should buy them out and put them out of their misery

A couple of $?  Are you mad?  I know prices for Amiga stuff on eBay are expensive, but they're not worth more than 50p at the most, surely.   :-)

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 03:39:26 AM »
  IF Bill Gates wanted to be sure of keeping yet another would-be competitor OS down, a brilliant strategy would be for another company ,which just happens to be contractually prohibited from releasing a non-Microsoft OS,to acquire the  competing OS.
 Thus the other OS is out of the market,yet Microsoft can claim it was not their doing.

The business of business is a lot dirtier than most people realize. Dallas,the TV show, gave a fairly realistic peek  at the kinds of people who often rise to the top. Cream and scum both float.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 17, 2006, 08:15:28 AM »

recidivist wrote:
  IF Bill Gates wanted to be sure of keeping yet another would-be competitor OS down,

They don't need to... with a 95% markest share and a software legacy that goes back over 10 years... the last thing you need to worry about is another OS... unless the other os is MacOS X :-D  

a brilliant strategy would be for another company ,which just happens to be contractually prohibited from releasing a non-Microsoft OS,to acquire the  competing OS.
 Thus the other OS is out of the market,yet Microsoft can claim it was not their doing.

Does this actually make sense to you?