Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga (the company) dead?  (Read 7850 times)

Description:

Offline BerndWTopic starter

• Show only replies by BerndW
Is Amiga (the company) dead?
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
I was "offline" for a few years, and just visited www.amiga.com. Is this the official site? Because when I go to the shop and try to buy something (add something to cart, then click Checkout) it gives a Security Alert which says that the certificate expired in 2005. Does this mean that they stopped selling in 2005, and are now... dead? Sure nobody buys from such a company today, if they have no SSL and the browser does not even open the page. So what happened?

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
Re: Is Amiga (the company) dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:57:51 AM »
I think they are still selling, either through the shop or their "partners", although I am not sure about the quantities...

It's just a bit strange that the company registration is listed as "inactive" and the license has expired 09/30/2004.

"AMIGA, INC.
UBI Number: 601 983 734
Category: Regular Corporation
Profit/Nonprofit: Profit
Active/Inactive: Inactive
State of Incorporation: WA
Date of Incorporation: 09/30/1999
License Expiration Date: 09/30/2004"

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
Amiga Inc. Alive ?? haha...I cant even access their page, but it worked some days ago...

I read the forum and they still havent managed to send out all the t-shirts, how lame is that?

I dont see any future for the Amiga Inc. bunch, sad :(
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
Amiga Inc. Alive ?? haha...I cant even access their page, but it worked some days ago...

Work's now! Amiga Inc are still much very alive but just not very active. What there doing is anyones guess!
Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
Not to sound like a grouchy butt, but WHY BOTHER??? Why mourn for the death of your enemies? It's obvious that Amiga INC in it's present form does nothing for any of you, has nothing for any of you, nor even really cares about you. Just to even care about thing is wasting time you could be worrying about stuff that really matters. Hell, I myself am not even worrying about the mythical consumer Amiga OS 4, for the time being because I have way too much stuff in the here and now to deal with.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:08 PM »
"Amiga Inc are still much very alive but just not very active."

Not very active, hehe, using several years to send out some t-shirts surely is not being much alive or active IMHO...

Why bother ? Because they own the Amiga :((

MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »

nasty wrote:

Work's now! Amiga Inc are still much very alive but just not very active. What there doing is anyones guess!

Well, they have some exciting new 'sliding block picture puzzle' games coming out soon, according to the website, which will no doubt push back the boundaries of digital entertainment as we know it.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:07:18 PM »
Amiga, Inc. is the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies. For almost two decades its award-winning software has been a mainstay for motion picture studios, multimedia creators, and digital entertainment enthusiasts around the world. Today Amiga builds on this legacy leading the way in multimedia development by providing developers with hardware-independent technologies for writing and porting applications to new platforms and interactive devices.

I still get a chuckle when I read this.  Of course, Ray does live in his own little world.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:24:08 PM »
Having also been out of the loop for many years (since 1995) and having recently started to get back into the classic Amiga groove, I find that I can't really give a dime about "Amiga, Inc". It's a company that happens to have the copyright to the name (and perhaps some other parts of what made up the Amiga, someone will no doubt correct me on this point). IMO it has *nothing* to do with the classic Amiga and its spirit, so I generally ignore anything that has to do with them. You can compare it with the current Commodore company which also has nothing to do with the Commodore from the ol' days. They just happened to stumble across the name and reinstated it in the hopes of cashing in on its retro appeal and slapping the brand on anything from DVD-/+Rs, USB sticks, ugly MP3 players, you name it.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »

BerndW wrote:
Is Amiga (the company) dead?

no. it's in a state of "suspended animation".
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »

nasty wrote:

ROTFL

Alive? You call that alive? They have been dead for quite sometime now, they may be barely breathing, latching on to their mobile stuff. As far as desktop goes they could care less - as far as Legacy and PPC Amiga support they surely don't care. To make matters even worse they won't even license to external investors either. L A M E

magnetic

bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline BerndWTopic starter

• Show only replies by BerndW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 05:25:52 PM »
I think they are still selling, either through the shop

Yes, that's what I meant, the shop could not possibly have been working since last year, because of this expired HTTPS certificate:

Security Alert

The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid.

Valid from:
Thursday, December 09, 2004 18:08:06

Valid to:
Friday, December 09, 2005 18:08:06

Subject:
E = webmaster@amiga.com
CN = www.amiga.com
OU = Operations
O = Amiga Inc
L = Redmond
S = Washington
C = US

Offline Marco

• Show only replies by Marco
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
Someone with a couple of $ should buy them out and put them out of their misery. Seriously if I had the money I'd buy Amiga Inc and kill it once and for all: release the OS (the stuff not owned by Hyperion) and hardware specs under the GPL and just let enthusiasts make clones on their own like what happened to Atari STs and Sinclair QLs.

As it is there's no point in anyone wasting their time with AInc, it'll only end in tears (for you).
[color=6666FF]Iu he nesciti, u dia cun l\\\'urbu azurru, di parinti barbari, \\\'ntre u bunu i virtuusu Cimmiriu[/color][/b]
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
They are dead. Look, one of them died while "developing" OS4!

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
Are you sure that the A.inc team aren't really leeches disguised as humans? That photo would confirm so.

Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.