Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoomMaster's whereabouts  (Read 8269 times)

Description:

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
Re: DoomMaster's whereabouts
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 09:07:59 PM »
Hi Karlos,

Go and buy yourself an Athlon64 based system - it'll "blow the doors off" any P4 system

Actually, my Pentium 4 PC does everything that I want it to do accept run Blood and Shadow Warrior without crashing.  I am going to down-grade my machine back to a Pentium III, 500 MHz.  That was the best processor I every used.  EVERYTHING worked on it and worked really well.  I still use Windows 98 Second Edition because I like it better then Windows XP.  In fact, I do NOT allow people using Windows XP to enter my game rooms at Kali Game Server.  I have placed a NO Win XP sign on my game rooms.

Karlos, Why should I upgrade to a newer processor when the one I have now works just fine?  You guys are never satisfied.  I on the otherhand am perfectly happy with what I have (just as soon as I down-grade to a Pentium III, 500 MHz processor).   :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2004, 09:13:15 PM »

BoingBoss wrote:

Karlos, Why should I upgrade to a newer processor when the one I have now works just fine?

Because the green processor pixie says so? :-D

You guys are never satisfied.  I on the otherhand am perfectly happy with what I have (just as soon as I down-grade to a Pentium III, 500 MHz processor).   :-D

Surely, you, the DoomMaster, you want to play Doom3, don't you? Feck, I know I do! It should be out sometime next month allegedly. It sure as hell won't enjoy a P3 500 from what I've read :-D
int p; // A

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2004, 09:45:21 PM »
Doomy

The point is the Amiga had better coprocessor chips that aided the CPU better, faster, that is why when comparing a Amiga 500 to a Atari 520ST, the Amiga seemed faster, and had better games.  The blitter in the Amiga alone made a hugh difference.  Even comparing it to a Atari 520STE the Amiga 500 is superior.  Don't get mad, this is the harsh truth.  Of course you cannot compare ST ported games, as they both ran exactly the same expect for the sound, it was always better on the Amiga! ;)

Come on man!  Even you admit the Atari ST is the second best computer of the 1980's!  What is the best again? ;)
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:52 PM »
Doomy, funny, if the ST was designed to do Mac emulation, why does it suck so bad at doing it?  Shapeshifter on the Amiga, a software only emulator, along with a 020, 030, 040 or 060 blows the doors off any Atari ST/TT Mac Emulator! ;)

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2004, 10:42:02 PM »
>> The Amiga was mainly designed to do video work.
   The Amiga was supposed to be a games console...

>> The Atari ST was mainly designed to do MIDI work and
>> classic Macintosh emulation.

Midi?  Designed?  Midi = Serial port... don't think so.

>> And both have excellent games to play.  
   So did the C64..

Offline yogisumo

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2004, 10:44:03 PM »

BoingBoss wrote:
Hi Karlos,

Go and buy yourself an Athlon64 based system - it'll "blow the doors off" any P4 system

Actually, my Pentium 4 PC does everything that I want it to do accept run Blood and Shadow Warrior without crashing.  I am going to down-grade my machine back to a Pentium III, 500 MHz.  That was the best processor I every used.  EVERYTHING worked on it and worked really well.  I still use Windows 98 Second Edition because I like it better then Windows XP.  In fact, I do NOT allow people using Windows XP to enter my game rooms at Kali Game Server.  I have placed a NO Win XP sign on my game rooms.

Karlos, Why should I upgrade to a newer processor when the one I have now works just fine?  You guys are never satisfied.  I on the otherhand am perfectly happy with what I have (just as soon as I down-grade to a Pentium III, 500 MHz processor).   :-D

That's it!  I'm upgrading my AthlonXP to a 486 system!!!

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2004, 11:04:42 PM »
The Amiga was supposed to be a games console...
Erm, yeah, I'm sure a A1000 was the world's most expensive games console.  Having good games came as a side effect of having great graphics capabilities ... it was designed as a multimedia computer, it's the same as the way an MPC2 spec PC was ideal for Doom when it was launched.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline yogisumo

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2004, 11:25:32 PM »
I recall reading about Amiga history.  What I remember is that Jay Miner and others were developing a game console and being funded by a group of doctors.  The bottom fell out of the gaming industry so they started writing an OS so they could market Amiga as a computer.  Same difference I guess.  That's about when C= stepped in and bought it.  Think Jack Tramiel ( Atari ) who was running C= at the time was pivotal.  C= had $ trouble and was bailed out by Irving Gould.  Gould ( bean counter ) and Tramiel had a fight and Tramiel left to go to Atari.  That was the beginning of the end.... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... :)

Offline Gibbersan

• Show only replies by Gibbersan
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2004, 11:39:39 PM »
@yogisumo

The Atari ST came with two midi ports built-in, in addition to a standard RS-232 serial port (among other ports). Of course it was designed to do midi. Buy some no name cables and hook straight up to your Roland.
A4000D - A1200 - WinUAE

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 12:27:56 AM »
Before we have an Amiga vs. Atari ST flamewar, I have to know - is everybody on this thread an American?  

See, Atari's slogan (at least here in the USA) back in 1985 was:

America: We built it for you!

I'm not sure if they meant the United States of America, North America, or the Americas in general. But given the popularity of the ST in Europe, I always wondered - what was Atari's slogan overseas?  Did they say:

Europe: We built it for you!
or did they say: We tell the Americans that we built it for them, but hey Europe, just between you and me, we actually built if four you.  Promise not to tell.

All I'm saying is I don't want to get into another gloabal ST vs Amiga flamewar until I know if we are debating "built for America STs" vs Amiga, "built for Europe STs" vs Amiga, or "some other kind of STs" vs Amigas.  

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2004, 12:36:09 AM »

FastRobPlus wrote:
Before we have an Amiga vs. Atari ST flamewar...

Huh?

All I'm saying is I don't want to get into another gloabal ST vs Amiga flamewar until I know if we are debating "built for America STs" vs Amiga, "built for Europe STs" vs Amiga, or "some other kind of STs" vs Amigas.  

What flamewar, where? I thought this site was here to talk about Amigas, not {bleep} about other systems. In any case, I kinda feel more affinity with the average ST etc user these days - After all they cling onto their retro systems like we do. Hardly 'competition'.
I like Amigas

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2004, 01:01:16 AM »
---------------------------------------------------
What flamewar, where?
---------------------------------------------------

I think there might be a law somewhere that Atari ST users and Amiga users have to fight whenever possible.  

They're supposed to be natural enemies, like dogs and cats, Linux and Windows, PS2 and Xbox, 3DO and Jaguar...

I miss the Jaguar.  Atari had a lot of folks absolutely conviced that Jag was a 64-bit system (adding the 68000 CPU and 16-bit co-processors)

and yes... I'm just trying to pad my posting stats.

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2004, 01:17:18 AM »
For whoever,

the reason the AMIGA games were better when the coders started using the hardware was a few reasons.

1) Bit shifter Copper _Led to very smooth gaming, no screen jumping. Also realy realy clever and simple way to make smooth transition and text scrolling. Even today PCs still have a hard time without expensive rendering software that does frame by frame.

2) More colours. It just had more colours able to be displayed all at once.

3) Sound - 4 channel 8 bit sound with extra 6 bit volume control. Later it was found you could actully use those bits to produce 14 bit sound form the channels.

4) multitude of hardware upgrade and expandability. Zorro side slot on 500 and trapdoor expansion led to easy path for upgrade.

5) a MIDI interface cost you $5 in parts to build and plug in and use on your AMIGA. And before some of you start complaining, I built mine in 1983 for $12

Do I think AMIGA is better than ATARI, in an over all opinion, yes. I think it was a better PC for what it had. ATARI is still a wonderful PC too. I think it's a shame neither one of them survived. One of them should have stood a chance. Now, hopefully, one WILL!!!

GO A1  :))wooot wooot!!
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2004, 01:34:53 AM »
Hi FastRobPlus,

I think there might be a law somewhere that Atari ST users and Amiga users have to fight whenever possible.

I was never part of that silly little war.  Both sides hated me because I had both the Atari ST and the Amiga.  I thought that both were great machines.   :-)
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2004, 02:48:15 AM »
Even though I love Atari's, I always agreed that the Amiga blew the doors off the Atari. ;)

Offline yogisumo

« Reply #44 from previous page: August 04, 2004, 05:32:52 AM »
Any computer with a serial port is "designed" to do midi.  Serial communciations at 115,200 bps are not exactly demanding on a modern computer.  That's the max rate of standard serial.  A big 115200bps/8/1024=@14k/s(not taking into account modulation/compression speeds of modems).  A midi interface is a couple of wires and connectors.  How is an entire computer deemed to be "designed for midi" because it has a couple of extra wires in it.  Doesn't even compare to custom chip development (aka Amiga).  A midi interface.....
http://home.concepts-ict.nl/~nctnico/midi/am_midi.txt
Midi isn't exactly demanding on a computer.  The one thing that Atari had was software development.  And that's more chicken and egg than anything else.  Weren't the Atari midi interfaces added *after* the Atari started to have a decent midi software base.  The Amiga's design, conversely, did give it an inherent advantage in certain areas (ie multimedia/games/video).