Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Processor confirmed as PA Semi  (Read 4986 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: X1000 Processor confirmed as PA Semi
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 21, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »
Damn best press release I've ever seen!!!Bloody Hilarious & Class act move Trev:roflmao::laughing::drink:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:41 AM »
Well I wouldn't get to excited to be honest since it's a really poor processor choice .. a quick cut n paste from the email sent out :

"Apple agreed to continue supplying chips to pre-existing PA Semi customers for a limited time period. Fortunately Varisys, our hardware partner, had a long-standing relationship with PA-Semi and we were able to secure a supply of PA6T CPUs for the AmigaOne X1000 project, making it the first and most probably the last desktop computer based on the unique PA-Semi CPU technology as Apple have now closed down the PA-Semi product line"

So basically they've deliberately chosen to continue development using a CPU that is no longer manufactured/developed  ... way to go for upgrades and future support!  

Hands up who is buying one now ?

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 06:53:02 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;600619
So basically they've deliberately chosen to continue development using a CPU that is no longer manufactured/developed  ... way to go for upgrades and future support!

The PA6T paves the way for SMP support under AmigaOS4.x  Also check out the new multi-core CPUs being developed by Freescale, in  particular the 64-bit dual core, 2.2 GHz P5020 and the 8-core, 1.5GHz  P4080.

TrevorD
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
Quote from: Sparky;600619
Well I wouldn't get to excited to be honest since it's a really poor processor choice .. a quick cut n paste from the email sent out :

"Apple agreed to continue supplying chips to pre-existing PA Semi customers for a limited time period. Fortunately Varisys, our hardware partner, had a long-standing relationship with PA-Semi and we were able to secure a supply of PA6T CPUs for the AmigaOne X1000 project, making it the first and most probably the last desktop computer based on the unique PA-Semi CPU technology as Apple have now closed down the PA-Semi product line"

I guess the NDA was with the warehouse owner!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »
What really needs to happen (in my not so humble opinion) is that someone needs to make some new accelerators with these new Freescale processors for the classic Amigas, so that at least there might be some semi-affordable PPC boards so that OS4.x could actually have a larger install base.

Right now with most Amiga owners who hadn't been fortunate enough to get a PPC accelerator, they are stuck at 3.9 as the latest, or possibly Aros 68k once that gets up to scratch.

I would love to get a PPC for my A4000D, but the prices (when you can find them) are simple extortion, especially when you consider it will only really allow OS4.x and a small amount of PPC only software (well maybe there is more software that requires a PPC than I know of, but still for the price of the used ones out there, it can make an Amiga fan cry...)

So bring on some new accelerators for the Classics to make OS4.1 Classic worth making and if it is more on par with the X1000 all the better.

Really, I already have a Mediator, Radeon 9250, etc for my A4000, I just don't have any accelerator in it!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
In the end it really doesn't make a difference, either you want aOS 4.x and you are willing to pay the premium or you are not.  A few dollars one way or the other doesn't make a difference to the target audience.  We're not talking about a mass market device after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
Sorry just read this update now:

"..AmigaOne X1000 project, making it the first and most probably the last desktop computer based on the unique PA-Semi CPU technology as Apple have now closed down the PA-Semi product line"

Hmmm.  It would seem the x1000 and beyond is not a longer term objective for a-eon.

Ohh well.  Roll on Q2 2011.  I'm sure it will be a quick and painless beta test.