Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"  (Read 51214 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #179 from previous page: October 20, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;797741
i see. you know better. i guess that clears that up, then. :lol:

Anybody without a vested interest knows better. I would let Trevor off because it will have been over sold to him.

They don't know anything about how well it will work, because it's not actually working. Making everything they say a guess, their guess is financially influenced and therefore should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Hyperion have never been very good with guesses anyway.

Quote from: aperez;797740
Regardless, this is a thread about Tabor, not about what you think Tabor should have been. If you want to discuss other Freescale parts, start a thread about it, or better yet, don't :)

What I said is relevant to Tabor as it is showing how much of a bad idea it is, but enjoy the car crash.... *grabs popcorn*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:26:40 PM by psxphill »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
Quote from: aperez;797744
Listen, trollmaster...statements such as this do not contribute anything of value to this discussion. Give it a rest. Don't you have something more constructive you could be doing?

I'd like to steer this conversation back towards reality for a moment... If someone buys a dual-core PPC32 machine and expects to be running Blender on it, well, that's just crazy. This isn't a machine for that. The recommended hardware for Blender at the moment is a 64-bit, quad-core CPU with 8GB RAM. This is not the type of hardware you would EVER seriously consider running Blender on.

Yet many masochists *do* choose to run it on AmigaONE branded hardware. ;-)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797749

Nicholas, I am a PPC fanatic, but even if I get a chance to buy an X5000/040 next year, I won't be running something like Blender on it (even if it is quad core, that feature isn't supported by NG OS' yet).

I have X64 hardware that is cheaper and more powerful set up specifically for that.
Frankly, I wasn't even aware that there was a PPC NG port.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797752
Nicholas, I am a PPC fanatic, but even if I get a chance to buy an X5000/040 next year, I won't be running something like Blender on it (even if it is quad core, that feature isn't supported by NG OS' yet).

I have X64 hardware that is cheaper and more powerful set up specifically for that.
Frankly, I wasn't even aware that there was a PPC NG port.

It might run under Linux ok on an x5000, though lack of SIMD might cripple it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Quote from: itix;797705
It doesnt really matter when my PPC is still much faster at executing code (68k or PPC) than a real 68060.

Even an affordable FPGA 68k CPU core can be faster at executing integer code than a 68060. It just shows how old the 68060 design and fab process is. The most modern PPC processors blow away the original Pentium processor but we know the PPC vs x86 situation today.

With 68k code you dont save tens of MBs. You could port the latest OWB to 68k and it still would not run well with 128 MB. 68060 is still too slow to run the latest webkit engine, 128 MB is still too little to run the latest webkit engine.

With smaller memory then less memory is saved. I would add 1GB-2GB to a 68k standalone board as it is relatively cheap. The AmigaOS (mostly code) overhead must be counted in determining free memory for applications and this is substantially higher for the PPC as I have shown.

But the small footprint is just due to lack of features. Lack of Unicode support, no built-in USB stack, rudimentary GUI toolkit (unless you install MUI but then it is not small footprint anymore), lack of text antialiasing and truetype font support, simple 4 colour icons (versus true color PNG icons) i.e. it is stuck in 90s.

The AmigaOS uses shared libraries which can be dynamically loaded and flushed as needed. The AmigaOS allows many settings (preferences) which can reduce memory use. I use a 800x600x16 RTG Workbench with AmigaOS 3.9, use PFS with lots of partitions and buffers, use Peter K's icon.library which allows planar, Glow, PNG and AmigaOS 4 style icons, have a system friendly truetype engine, use MUI and ReAction GUIs, etc. but only a few MB of memory are taken at boot and I can use most of the features above together in 16-32MB of memory.

I dont see point in new super 68k but I get your idea. The PPC is obviously stuck in year 2005 forever.

A new clean 64 bit 68k like big endian CISC ISA could allow easier Amiga 68k and PPC migration while improving processor efficiency. The x86_64 ISA and processors would probably be close enough for migrating to if big endian was supported. ARMv8 is similar to PPC and bi-endian but the hardware is usually customized for customers which license and control their synthesizable FPGA code in a similar way as I have proposed for the Amiga but with a processor team developing CPU cores (instead of paying license fees to ARM). There are many advantages to this route as I have pointed out but it requires investment and quantity production.

Quote from: broadblues;797711
Not sure where you get your 60 MB number from but:

3.1 plain backdrop 4 colour icons. 24 pixels square icons, really small HD at most with few disk buffers and no caching

4.1 full colour backdrop 32bit icons 64 bit square, potentially teratbytes of HD space, many more disk buffers per partition, other caching (SFS has write through caching I think FFS2 has cache hooks that may be enabled) etc etc.

For the AmigaOS 4.0 "at least 64 MB RAM" requirement, my reference was:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigaos4.htm

Most later versions of AmigaOS 4.x are for specific hardware and do not list a minimum memory requirement. Your comparison compares a minimal AmigaOS 3.1 setup to a well equipped AmigaOS 4.1 setup. The minimum requirement mentions "200MB free hard disk space" so disk buffers aren't going to be outrageous. Can AmigaOS 4.x use 8 bit gfx without a backdrop at least? What happened to the advantages of a scalable AmigaOS with a small footprint?

Quote from: Yasu;797739
According to the AmigaOS 4 developer "Cyborg", lack of FPU is a problem, they will fix it with emulation, it will be slow but they have a plan to eventually speed it up a lot with a JIT emulation. Sounds sensible. Maybe we can stop arguing now?

Emulation (and especially JIT) of FPU instructions instead of trapping should substantially improve floating point performance but it is a complex solution prone to errors. How much development time is going to be wasted by using a non-standard FPU? How much processing power and memory usage will JIT take for a low end motherboard? Limited Amiga software development would benefit from standardized and reduced hardware options but we seem to be headed in the other direction.

Listen, trollmaster...statements such as this do not contribute anything of value to this discussion. Give it a rest. Don't you have something more constructive you could be doing?

I could do some constructive Amiga work but the Amiga situation takes away my motivation.

I'd like to steer this conversation back towards reality for a moment... If someone buys a dual-core PPC32 machine and expects to be running Blender on it, well, that's just crazy. This isn't a machine for that. The recommended hardware for Blender at the moment is a 64-bit, quad-core CPU with 8GB RAM. This is not the type of hardware you would EVER seriously consider running Blender on.

Let's get back to reality then and remember that AmigaOS 4 only supports one CPU core and can't take advantage of 64 bit addressing without breaking Amiga compatibility. I guess you should tell Andy to forget his AmigaOS port of Blender then.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:34:57 PM by matthey »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
Quote from: itix;797692
In modern computing code density and code size have very little to do with memory requirements. PPC code requires 50% more space (versus 68k code) but we are still talking few hundred kilobytes.

It is the data that counts.

True, for instance we take 16 , 24, and 32 bit color for granted, but the amount of storage needed to support these modes is vastly larger than a 4, 16, or even 256 color mode.

As we support greater features, the size of the data needed to be handled has also grown, but in some areas its almost a geometric growth.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
Quote from: matthey;797760
I could do some constructive Amiga work but the Amiga situation takes away my motivation.

If you are not up to challenges presented by hardware or software limitations, then you probably shouldn't code at all.

There have always been difficulties to overcome in writing code.

And advocating an FPGA 68K while dismissing a PPC (in comparison to an X64 cpu) is silly.
No FPGA project available or in development comes close to a PPC's level of performance.

And at comparable clock speeds, X64 does not have that great an advantage over PPCs.

Then again, I am off enough to wish that MIPS had continued to receive as much support as the PPC (or better yet, ARM).

RISC still offers advantages over CISC, and at their core many CISC cpus use RISC architecture.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Pretty sure there is a morphos port of blender and has been for some time. I did I dream that
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
@JJ

nope. i've used it as well as andy's port for AOS4. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;797769
@JJ

nope. i've used it as well as andy's port for AOS4. :)

-- eliyahu

Wow, and I built X64 hardware just to run that.

Then again, a single core PPC system, compared to the recommended hardware specs?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797773
Wow, and I built X64 hardware just to run that.

Then again, a single core PPC system, compared to the recommended hardware specs?
i didn't say either of them were terribly fast.

:laughing:

seriously though -- the whole point of running blender for me was to do some video editing, actually. i had a bunch of clips on my peg2 and i wanted to throw something together. this way i could do it on an amiga. not the smartest way certainly, but very geeky. sort of one of those 'because i can' things. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline Iggy

« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;797774
...this way i could do it on an amiga. not the smartest way certainly, but very geeky. sort of one of those 'because i can' things. :)

-- eliyahu

I DO get that.
And even on an X64, Blender still has a few issues.
I wish it supported video cards that are common to CAD design.
Quadro cards, if they were fully supported, would be a nice option.

Even a low end K600 does some amazing things when its fully supported, and a K2000 is outstanding in CAD software.

BTW - Where can I find the MorphOS port of Blender?
It makes sense to install it, after all I already have it on a couple (but not all) of my X64 computers.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797776
BTW - Where can I find the MorphOS port of Blender?
It makes sense to install it, after all I already have it on a couple (but not all) of my X64 computers.
you can grab it here. you'll also want to grab the latest release of python for MOS while you're at it.

-- eliyahu

Offline Iggy

« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;797777
you can grab it here. you'll also want to grab the latest release of python for MOS while you're at it.

-- eliyahu

That link appears broken as it only takes you to Yomgui's primary web page.
Any idea how to find the actual software?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »
@Iggy

whoops. try morph-files instead. :o

-- eliyahu

Offline broadblues

« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797749

I run it on a SAM-Flex 440 733MHz, works okay. I mean it's not going to knock out the likes of Sintel or Tears of Steel, but it's okay for small projects and editing music videos.

I admit if I'm in a hurry I use my loonix laptop with a more recent version of blender, but I like using it on the SAM.  But my loonix laptop stil falls far short of those specs posted above!

It also works on the x1k but I don;t have a Warp3D capable gfx card and so WaZp3D is a bit sloe and glitchy.