Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCI... What, no SCSI??  (Read 5468 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: PCI... What, no SCSI??
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 22, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
Quote from: pVC;41734
Jupp3: yeah, I forgot to mention that. You can get big and new harddisks to scsi with that adapter at not much extra cost compared to ide. With all the advantages of the scsi of course.

Actually, if anyone wants one, I'll send you an 18gb SCSI 2 wide drive for the cost of shipping.

I replaced them with Ultra320 drives (which will also work on an SCSI 2 controller).
I think I paid $15 for the 75gb ones I've got (and they're 15K drives - really quick).

BTW - I thought the SCSI drivers were available already. They list specific cards.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »
Quote from: adonay;722226
Bump this old thread..

Has anyone used a pci SCSI card like the Adaptec AHA2940UW on a mediator board . I would like to build a amiga 1200 tower "again" and want to be able to connect to my external scsi box for backup etc "or more for the fun of it".

If anyone has used it how fast is it?

I have one stashed, but I had to put off investing in an A4000 to finish up some other projects.

I'd really like to see how well this would work (compared to the relatively slow PATA transfers supported by the Amiga).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
Well, I'm attempting to get my SCSI drive working with the mediator.

I thought I had a 2940UW laying around, and I DID!  Found it today, grabbed my 73GB 10k Cheetah Ultra160 drive out of my old ex-server box, and hooked it up.  

Initially I couldn't get anything but HDToolbox to say "There's an unknown device" Then I found a page that suggested changing the HDToolbox icon info for using the uaehf.device, so I changed that to aic78xx.device and it found the drive, and I partitioned it.  Now the question is... how do I actually get AmigaOS to see it?  Not only that, but how would I go about making it so that I could use it as my only drive?

I'm guessing because it goes through the mediator that I'd need to do some LoadModule trickery?  Anyone have any ideas?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline Thomas

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »
Now the question is... how do I actually get AmigaOS to see it?

Actually the driver should mount the partition once it is loaded. If it doesn't you have to use a program like Mounter which comes with OS 3.9.

Not only that, but how would I go about making it so that I could use it as my only drive?

You can't. A driver for a bootable controller needs to be in a ROM. The Mediator does not have such a ROM, so it's not bootable. You have to boot from a floppy disk or another harddrive on a bootable controller, then you can load the SCSI driver and mount partitions.

You are right in thinking that LoadModule could make the driver resident. If the driver supports that (and mounts partitions), that is. This works after the Amiga has booted once. But after power-on you have to boot from a controller with ROM, otherwise LoadModule cannot be loaded.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Yeah, I thought that's what the case was going to be.  I also tend to think there are other driver bits that initialize the Mediator (since things like the network card and the Radeon aren't detected until after installing the Mediator software).

Oh well, it's probably for the best, the 10k RPM drive is hurting my ears, and I don't have the room in the case at the moment anyhow!

Thanks for the input.  I've spent too much money in the past few months on this anyhow, eventually I'll be trying out one of these bad boys;

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Connectivity-44-pin-Compact-Adapter/dp/B0036DDXUM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371282964&sr=8-3&keywords=compact+flash+to+ide

I'll have to find out if it shows up as two different drives or one big one, not sure.  Anyone else try this out?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:21 AM »
Well, I'm attempting to get my SCSI drive working with the mediator.

I thought I had a 2940UW laying around, and I DID!  Found it today, grabbed my 73GB 10k Cheetah Ultra160 drive out of my old ex-server box, and hooked it up. 

Initially I couldn't get anything but HDToolbox to say "There's an unknown device" Then I found a page that suggested changing the HDToolbox icon info for using the uaehf.device, so I changed that to aic78xx.device and it found the drive, and I partitioned it.  Now the question is... how do I actually get AmigaOS to see it?  Not only that, but how would I go about making it so that I could use it as my only drive?

I'm guessing because it goes through the mediator that I'd need to do some LoadModule trickery?  Anyone have any ideas?

slaapliedje

hehe I love bringing old helpfull threads back to life!....thanks for ther reminder about changing the HDToolBox icon info to aic78xx.device  ;D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Acill

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:24 AM »
I have a working SCSI PCI card for my mediator in my 4000T. They are specific few cards and the drivers are listed on the mediator 3rd party drivers on the Elbox site. You cant use it to boot though, it only works after the system comes up and loads the PCI driver.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics