Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windoze multi-tasking?  (Read 1436 times)

Description:

Offline wa9yozTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by wa9yoz
    • http://www.qrz.com/db/wa9yoz
Windoze multi-tasking?
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
Sometimes I'll play with my IBM ThinkPad, 700Mhz CPU which has multi-tasking. While I wait for it to load, I can fix me breakfast and have a couple of cups of coffee...then sometimes while surfing to another website I can go and wash the dishes while waiting for it load up...Hee-haw!...what a computer...then once in a while a requester comes on the screen telling me it is ok to remove the floppy from the floppy drive, even tho no floppy is in the drive...Wow!...sometimes it don't do nothing and I have to click the MS Internet Explorer off and then on again to get it to work....Multi-tasking at it's best?..Yowza!
But I still love my A-1200 with Blizzard Turbo 1260 and six external scsi attachments...plus the several Video Toaster A-2000's and one A-4000 towerized!
I am: 90% pure Amiga enthusiast since 1989 and until me end!
Amiga...THE computer!
Hope y'all enjoyed my satyre?
Tony

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
Re: Windoze multi-tasking?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:59:52 PM »
Get a new laptop...

Offline brianb

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
yes, but you can browse the web with your 700mhz clunker! That is an exercise in patience on a 1200.   And what's a floppy?

:-P

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »
Get Linux. It'll leave your Windohs and Amiga in the dust wondering what just flew past them. Most Linux people I know began their computer lives on Amiga or Commodore 64, it's a much more comfortable switch than Windohs or Mac.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
Install AROS on it and it's gonna rock.

Offline Faerytale

• Show only replies by Faerytale
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
Install win 3.11 and it will fly!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
It never fails to tickle me pink to read reports of how BAWWWWWWWWFUL windows is from users who have machines that are slow, give no background information on how they're maintained, don't give any system specs beyond CPU (including desktop configuration, etc. etc.) and then tout Amiga (or mac or linux) systems as being so, so much better.

Now tell me about browsing the web on your 030 A1200, as someone else asked.  I'm sure that's a scintillating experience.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline brianb

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
Install PC/GEOS (GeoWorks) and it will fly!

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:
It never fails to tickle me pink to read reports of how BAWWWWWWWWFUL windows is from users who have machines that are slow, give no background information on how they're maintained, don't give any system specs beyond CPU (including desktop configuration, etc. etc.) and then tout Amiga (or mac or linux) systems as being so, so much better.

Now tell me about browsing the web on your 030 A1200, as someone else asked.  I'm sure that's a scintillating experience.

I've got a windows box. It's got Windows Vista 64 SP1 and it runs quite flawlessly. It's quite quick too and I like using it.

I've also got a macbook Pro, running MAC OS X Leopard and it's quite good.

I've also got a Linux box, running on a decent PC setup. It's quite amazing how slick Ubuntu can be.

I've also got an Amiga 4000 with CyberstormPPC, running Amiga OS 4.0 classic. It runs like crap. Going from 3.9 - 4.0 was the worst thing I ever did.
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
I think noone got your humor and satyre...
as it seems, amiga.org are full of people catching with "conventional" technology, and are too "sensitive" about it.
I know what you mean, I'm a computer technician and electronic engineer and I'm fed up with all systems be it osx/windows/linux
I miss PERSONAL computer operating systems like amiga .
and to all people praising windows... we all deserve what we choose, cheap people with cheap machines that do everything and nothing.

let the flames begin!
:D

Offline brianb

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »

StormLord wrote:
I think noone got your humor and satyre...

I think people got the satire, and it was funny.  But that doesn't mean people won't pile on more satire about something satirizing two computers made decades apart.  Not to mention complaining of slowness on the newer system, while  essentially hopeless on the other.  (web browsing)

That's a lot of satire!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
So, will be Jay Miner, Bill Gates, the Steves, et al be playing poker in heaven or hell?

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »
Hi,

I also got a 1.1 ghz laptop running windows xp, it is slower than an Amiga with a fried 68000 chip, but I also have a Q6600, quad core, this thing flies, WinUAE is really slick, and Windows VISTA flies when it ain't crashed. This computer also has Ubuntu Linux on it and hasn't crashed or even burped, I use it for anything I want to keep, I use VISTA for games only and I use WinUAE for both games and record keeping, the only thing wrong with WinUAE is when VISTA crashes so does it, but lets get real a 700 mhz PC went out of style 10 years ago, even the new baby laps are faster. I also installed Windows 7 on my quad, so far I like it, it boots up faster than my A4000 and seems pretty stable, I do have a slight problem with Internet Explorer on Windows 7 but I am sure this bug will be fixed when they bring out the edition that they are going to sell.

Yes I still like the Amiga, it was a great computer and still is a great computer, but it is starting to show its age. What I liked most about the Amiga were the people who wrote programs for it, the music, the challenge video movies and the attitude of the Amiga people, no other computer will ever have this type of following except for the Commodore 64.

Hot Rodding an Amiga is just like hot rodding an old car, it never dies, just gets better with age and than one day the old parts crash and you have to junk it, but you will always remember that joy that it brought you

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Hi,

@Stormlord

HAHA!!!

Hey engineer, my choo choo is broken can you fix it.

No one will ever know, they are still calculating it.

If engineers actually worked on everything they designed they would quit

How can you tell an engineer from a technician?
The Tech. knows what he is doing.

I once asked an engineer a question, it has been 5 years know and he is still working on the answer. Maybe one of these days we will actually eat dinner.

smerf

I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
700 MHz?  That's a good Mobile Phone....

Rip that floppy our of the box and smash it to bits, you'll feel better and it'll be the best thing for both you and the floppy drive.  A storage mechanism that can't even hold a single MP3 isn't a storage mechanism, it's an instrument of torture!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.