Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMIX copy on a brand new QIC-150 tape  (Read 28935 times)

Description:

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Show only replies by pascal_sweden
AMIX copy on a brand new QIC-150 tape
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:16:13 AM »
I am the owner of the original AMIX tape, however the tape got broken due to aging.

I was wondering if there is someone out here on this forum, who has a working version of the AMIX tape, and access to two tape streamers.

This way, one could make a copy of AMIX on a brand new QIC-150 tape.

Since I do have access to the original AMIX tape, there should be no issues with Copyright.

Anybody out here with the original AMIX tape and two tape streamers?

Preferably I would like to have the latest AMIX version with UNLIMITED users, as I believe these tapes came into different versions of AMIX and different restrictions on max. amount of users.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:18:21 AM by pascal_sweden »

Offline Matt_H

Re: AMIX copy on a brand new QIC-150 tape
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:55:49 AM »
Images of the tape are out there - look for the Amix wiki (currently writing from mobile, can’t look up url at the moment). With one of those and your own tape drive you should be able to make a new tape.

Offline AllocVec

• Show only replies by AllocVec
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »
I am the owner of the original AMIX tape, however the tape got broken due to aging.

I was wondering if there is someone out here on this forum, who has a working version of the AMIX tape, and access to two tape streamers.

This way, one could make a copy of AMIX on a brand new QIC-150 tape.

If you have tape and streamer you can do it yourself. Here you will find the image: http://www.amigaunix.com/doku.php/downloads

Offline olsen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
Careful, this may be easier said than done.

Each file in the "amix_2.1_tape_part1.tar.bz2" and "amix_2.1_tape_part2.tar.bz2" archives must be copied to the new tape in exactly the order given by the respective file names (00..28; ignore the "seglist" file).

If I remember correctly (I last set up my A3000UX back in 1996, using an Archive Viper tape drive and a hacked installation disk), the new tape has to be tensioned and rewound first before you begin (use the "mt" command).

After that, you write the individual files to the tape drive using the Unix "dd" command.

Make sure that when you write to the tape device the tape will not be rewound after each invocation of the "dd" command. Back in the 1990'ies NetBSD had separate tape devices for rewinding and non-rewinding access. Other operating systems were using non-rewinding tape access by default and required the use of the "mt" shell command if you wanted to rewind it.

Finally, make sure that your tape drive is accepted by the installation disk. While you may be able to knit your own Amiga Unix installation tape using the tape drive of your choice, the stock installation disk only works with a specific Caliper drive (rebranded by Commodore as the A3070, if memory serves). It won't work with a DAT streamer or any 150 MB QIC drive of the same age, with only 1-2 exceptions.

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja

Offline Amiga_CDTV

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Amiga_CDTV
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »
See also: http://www.amigaunix.com/doku.php/tape-creation
It expects you to first have a working Amix install and a way to transfer the tape image files to that machine, and then write them onto a tape (using a script that should put the files in the correct order). I believe I tested this myself and it did work, but this was couple of years back.
Commodore KIM-1, PET-2001, CBM 8032, CBM 8050, CBM 8250LP, D9060, VIC-20, C64, C64c, 1541, 1541-II, 1571, 1581,
Amiga A1000, A1060 Sidecar, A500, CDTV, CD32, 1084S, A1200, A1200 Magic Pack from Petro, ex-custom-case A3000T (now a complete A3000T), repaired A4000T and looking for more :)

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »
Hi all,

Revisiting the burning topic of how to create the install tape :-)

Is there any way to create the tape on AmigaOS? I do not have a working version of AMIX to create the install tape unfortunately. The tape drive works using Ami-Back so it's verified to be working. I've tried the "dd" archive from Aminet but do not understand how I can write the files to the tape drive. I've experimented with the tape-handler package but ended up spending two nights without any progress.

A3000T