Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CDTV Parnet woes. Help!  (Read 1037 times)

Description:

Offline cpfutureTopic starter

• Show only replies by cpfuture
CDTV Parnet woes. Help!
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:15 PM »
I seem to be having some problems getting Parnet working between my A500 and my CDTV.

My A500 has a 68020 accelerator and runs Workbench 3.1. My CDTV is a standard unexpanded model with Kickstart 1.3. I placed NetPnet-Server in C: on both machines, NetPnet-Handler in L: on both machines, parnet.device in DEVS: and added the relevant Mountlist entries. After that I start the NetPnet-server on both machines and mount NET:.

When I try something like this on my A500:

dir NET:CD0

my CDTV just reboots spontaneously. In fact, it reboots as soon as I try to do anything with the NET: device from my A500. Accessing the NET: device from the CDTV just results in nothing and no prompt coming back.

I tried several parnet packages I found. The one on my 17-Bit PD CD-ROM, the ParBench release on Aminet and the original parnet.lha on Aminet. What could I be doing wrong?

BTW, first post ever from my A500. Heheh   :-D

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: CDTV Parnet woes. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:56:59 PM »
Tried ProNet?  

Otherwise, double check the cable, unit numbers in the mountlists, etc.

Sorry, it's been years since I used ParNet to access an A570 from my A3000.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »
I haven't tried ProNet yet. I saw it mentioned recently in an Aminet readme somewhere, but have no idea what it actually is. If it's an 'upgraded' version of Parnet that works over the parallel port and offers roughly the same features I'll definitely check it out.

Mountlist entries are 100% OK (I checked several times). I guess the cable could be faulty. It's a prebuilt cable I bought recently on eBay. It was actually advertised as a ParNet cable and has Parnet instructions included. Is there really such a thing as a Parnet cable (ie is it Amiga/Parnet specific wiring) or is there also a more common name for it (like null-modem serial cable e.g.)?

If ProNet fails as well I guess I'll need a new cable (excluding the possibility for the moment that either parallel ports of the A500 and CDTV are faulty themselves! AARGH!) Thanks for your suggestion about ProNet!

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »
ParNet cables are definitely special.  There is no PC equivalent that I know of.  

ProNet is compatible with ParNet cables (as well as null modem cables) so you could try it.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
Oh yes, Parnet cables are special, as ACKnowledge and SELect are bridged together locally at each end, if I recall correctly. They most certainly are not null-modem, which is only suitable for serial port connection. Instructions for making them are included in the original distribution archives.

I personally would not trust any such cable bought from an uncertain source on eBay (and the fault might simply be a bad or loose connector pin). I made my own adapters (which plug onto each end of a universal 25-way straight-through extension cable) and I recommend that you do the same unless someone such as Amigakit can supply a guaranteed correct cable. Making a Parnet cable (or adapters) is  not hard or complex, but you must be sure that you have them wired properly. Use of a wrongly wired cable might damage the computers.
:)

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »
Thanks, suspected as much, but nice to have it confirmed. I'll give Pronet a go this weekend and if I can't get that to work I'll see if I can buy another cable somewhere. Sadly Amigakit doesn't seem to be carrying them. Vesalia has Parnet cables in their system, but no price and no option to add it to your cart. Just a link to mail them. I did that a couple of months ago, but never got an answer from them. That's when I ended up buying one from eBay.

Building one myself will be my last option, because I'm not really good at soldering. So I try to keep that activity to a minimum. ;-)

Offline wheels

• Show only replies by wheels
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:17:26 AM »
Drop me a line if you are still having trouble. There are serveral Parneters in the area and also CDTV experts.

jlw1950@(spam)visi.com
JLW

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »
Better check the cable with a multimeter and this webpage. It's easy to wreck Amiga parallel ports.