Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Washington/Baltimore Group  (Read 33444 times)

Description:

Offline BigbroncTopic starter

• Show only replies by Bigbronc
    • http://www.AnyNameAnyState.com
Washington/Baltimore Group
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »
:elvis:New group starting up in the DC/Balto area. I am starting a user group for all Amigas. If you want to join in on the fun then we need to talk. I have two others from Amiga.org that want in on the fun. we need more users so think up agendas that we can discuss and show and tell. I am thinking that we would rotate the meeting place and meet every other month. This is all my idea so any input will help a lot. I will host the first meeting at my place in Frederick MD (located between the two cities) I will be showing my A2000 with toasters during the first meeting. The topic of the first meeting is show and tell, setting up future agendas and just meet and greet. I have a DCTV to give away for a raffle. So lets get the party started. Dates to be posted soon on this thread.:elvis:
:python:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Washington/Baltimore Group
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
I'm in like Flynn.  :)  There were a few others who expressed interest in such a group in my recent A2000 build thread, maybe you can track them down if they don't see this post?  Thanks for stepping up, I suck at organizing things... although y'all are always welcome to stop by my office in Gainesville to work on Amigas, if you ever want to make the trek, LOL.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »
I've got a couple 1084's I can donate for a raffle, as well.  Maybe I can finally be rid of these doorstops, and you know what they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure, right?  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
Send PM to me for contact info, and I think giving stuff away is a great idea to spark interested people to go. I also need a 1084 if you have a few, I have a lot of stuff to trade.

Offline Madshib

• Show only replies by Madshib
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
This is good news! It's a little bit of a trek for me, but I'd like to be involved. PM me with the deets!

Offline esc

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
I'm in Alexandria, VA, and I'd love to be a part of things.  I'm sure we can start a google group, no?

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »
Too bad I am not in the area anymore ! Have fun guys :)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »
OK what dates do we want the first meet? I think a week day would be best, two people have said Tuesday or Thursdays. I am proposing Sept 17 2013. It is a Tuesday say about 7pm to 10 I will demo my toasters and we will be setting the agenda for the next meeting. I will be giving away DCTV during this meeting.

:insane:

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
I am in Alexandria and have four Amigas going right now (well, one's a SAM) and am interested. Looks like I'm not the only Amiga guy in Alexandria, what's more.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
9/17 works for me.  Tuesdays are good, weekends are usually good, Thursdays not so good 'cause I have derby practice (see my avatar) unless I break my leg, LOL.  ;)

I can probably sneak a couple long folding tables out of the office if someone can help me remember and if we need more space for setting up systems, I could bring my A500 that works well, or my troublesome A2000 that I've been fighting with the past few weeks, if anyone wants to help tackle that, LOL.  ;)

I'll also bring along those two 1084 monitors - one working, one not - that we can either raffle off or give away.  I don't need them and don't want them taking up space, but after the second one got damaged being shipped I don't want to try selling them online and risk further damage, so they're for y'all local folks.  :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
Just a quick thought, do you want to try cross-posting this event over on A1K and EAB, just to try to catch anyone else who might be local and not registered on this site, as well?

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:27 PM »
OK sounds like we are getting more people interested. The date is 17 Sept 2013 in Middletown, Maryland. Oldsmobile Mike, I will take both of those monitors; I will give you a DVTV for them, still have the raffle one to give away too. All other please PM me with how to call you to get included. I will call everybody next week some time. Think of things for an agenda guys. I will be showing off my toasters and if Mike gives me a 1084 that works, we can build a toaster; I have several. Glad everybody is joining, take care and hope to hear from you soon.:laugh1:

Randy
PS: for you history buffs, it is the anniversary of the battle of Antietam. I live close to the battlefield.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
One way or another, I'll be there - so, count me in. Glad to see this getting going.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
Motrucker I hope you are going to make it, and I was hoping you were going to host the next meeting. We can talk about this at the meeting, we need a name, agenda, and ideas to keep it interesting. I will call everybody tomorrow, everybody that has send me a phone number. .:python:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
Quote from: Bigbronc;746664
Think of things for an agenda guys. I will be showing off my toasters and if Mike gives me a 1084 that works, we can build a toaster; I have several.

Not sure what everybody else has in mind, or how much time we'll have, but I love the idea of building a Toaster - it's been probably 17 years since I've even seen one in-person, so that sounds like a lot of fun.  :)  I'll definitely bring those monitors up, I almost want to put them in my car already just to get them out of the house, last I tested one worked fine.  :)

Other ideas - swap meet or brief sale?  Or maybe just set out a table of items if people want to clear out some closet space?

Another idea would be some hardware troubleshooting?  I'm sure we all have some hardware that could be made to work with just a little more combined brainpower.  ;)

Maybe a demo of any Amiga networking products, if anyone has anything like that that they'd like to bring?

Just ideas!  :)