Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Washington/Baltimore Group  (Read 33451 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Washington/Baltimore Group
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;748321
I am glad this first meeting was a success. Sorry I couldn't make it (what a time to get the flu!) Hopefully nothing will get in my way for the next meeting.
Way to go guys!

Hi motrucker, sorry to hear you were sick, we'd definitely like to meet you next time!

One thing I was thinking for on the agenda for next meeting, did I see correctly in another thread that you've recently picked up a Mac Mini to make into a MorphOS box?  I haven't had an opportunity to use MorphOS in 10 years and would love to see how it's come along.  All the screenshots I've seen (plus the fairly reasonable HW and software license cost) make it a pretty tempting entry if I do ever decide to dip my feet into the Amiga NG market.  Would you be willing to bring your system to demo for us?

Also I should definitely bring a folding table for the next one, haha. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline motrucker

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
@ oldsmobile_mike,

It's not a mini - it's 500 tower - but the site says it is supported by MorphOS - so I'm going to see how it works out.
I also have a RPi that I am going to set up with Vice.
and fix my 1084S (with a new switch)..... all sorts of projects to get to.
I have a couple of Zorro 2 cards you all may find interesting too. I am trying to get the old National Amiga data base too - a friend has it all on DVD if he can find it! That would be handy to have on hand...
So, I'm ready, if I can just get there.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
Neat!  I'd love to see the Pi, too.  There's a couple links in my previous post that might have some tips on fixing that 1084S switch, the part number is something I came across while researching in the forums a while back, might help you.  :)

Also just received a message over on Amibay that my Thylacine USB card is ready, so I might have something else to demo at our next meeting, yay!  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline motrucker

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;748333
Neat!  I'd love to see the Pi, too.  There's a couple links in my previous post that might have some tips on fixing that 1084S switch, the part number is something I came across while researching in the forums a while back, might help you.  :)

Also just received a message over on Amibay that my Thylacine USB card is ready, so I might have something else to demo at our next meeting, yay!  :D

What machine is the USB card for? I am no longer on amibay (my account apparently died, and they don't like my E-Mail account)
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 05:23:44 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;748348
What machine is the USB card for? I am no longer on amibay (my account apparently died, and they don't like my E-Mail account)

Thylacine is a standard Zorro II card, supposed to be compatible with any machine with ZII slots and OS 3.9 or 4.1.  The original hardware schematics were open sourced and they're currently being hand-built in batches by a guy over on Amibay.  I believe he's currently on his fifth production run of 10.

I'm planning on using it in my A2000.  I've got a USB hub already built into my monitor which should give me a several ports (the card only has one).  I'd like to test it out with keyboards, mice (including wireless), flash drives, and ultimately try to find one of the compatible NIC cards.

One of my goals is to get my A2000 on the net, I'd been considering the X-Surf 100 but it seems like that card isn't really "finished" yet (i.e., the USB ports on it aren't active until Jens releases an update for it, which might be a year away, who knows).  Might wait on testing that one "till it's finished", haha.  ;)

Edit: More info on card here:  http://members.iinet.com.au/~loofy/index.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:26:20 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 05:28:30 AM »
I'm still in contact with 4-5 Amiga users back in the DC Metro Area AND NONE of them were in your pictures!

The NCAUG E-mail list is still functional too!  I'll copy this thread's URL and post it on there to see if anyone else is interested in showing up.

I live in Idaho now sooooo not gunna make it. :(
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 05:33:54 AM »
Quote from: J-Golden;748354
I'm still in contact with 4-5 Amiga users back in the DC Metro Area AND NONE of them were in your pictures!

The NCAUG E-mail list is still functional too!  I'll copy this thread's URL and post it on there to see if anyone else is interested in showing up.

Thanks!!  :D

It's hard knowing how to get in touch with people.  Outside of this website and Amibay (the only two sites where I have accounts) I don't have a clue how to reach other Amiga users (smoke signals?).  Guess I kind of figure in our small community most active users would be here on a.org, but clearly that's not the case.  It always surprises me when some new user pops up on this website and has been an Amiga user for years, but has a brand new user account and is unfamiliar with the site.  ???  But enough rambling, send 'em our way!  :D

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
E-mail is sent!  but it's too late to call back there today. ;)

Yeah, I loved going to the NCAUG meetings and ran the Hardware SIG for a few years and if there is anything I can do to help resuscitate that feeling, even if not for me, I'll do it!

Good Luck!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline motrucker

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
@ oldsmobile_mike
        I wonder if anyone has had any luck using 3.5OS with the Thylacine card. Looking into a nic would be my main reason for getting one. This is the first Zorro 2 usb card I have heard of.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
I don't know, I've never used 3.5, made the jump from 3.1 right to 3.9, but the product discription does say "3.9 recommended".  They're pretty similar though, can't think of any major reason why they wouldn't work together, maybe if you bring a 3.5 rig to the next meetup we can try it out?  ;)

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
For next-gen Amigas, I could bring along an AROS machine.  I also have a working Amithlon machine if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;748325
Hi motrucker, sorry to hear you were sick, we'd definitely like to meet you next time!

One thing I was thinking for on the agenda for next meeting, did I see correctly in another thread that you've recently picked up a Mac Mini to make into a MorphOS box?  I haven't had an opportunity to use MorphOS in 10 years and would love to see how it's come along.  All the screenshots I've seen (plus the fairly reasonable HW and software license cost) make it a pretty tempting entry if I do ever decide to dip my feet into the Amiga NG market.  Would you be willing to bring your system to demo for us?

Also I should definitely bring a folding table for the next one, haha. ;)
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
cecilia is, I think, still in that area.  She isn't on the forums too often so you may want to PM her.

She is a goddess with graphics on the Amiga and has done several tutorials and even a training at the Amiga Expo in Baltimore.

Long story short, she'd be a good person to get into the group. ;)

WWBD?

Offline garyg

• Show only replies by garyg
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;748354

I live in Idaho now sooooo not gunna make it. :(

I'm a few hundred miles north of you right now, "J Golden", returning home tomorrow.

I learned of this through the NCAUG link you so kindly posted.

I hope to make it to the next meeting. My main Amiga application is Bars & Pipes Pro

Gary

Offline ajacocks

• Show only replies by ajacocks
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »
I'm also quite interested in attending.  I have an A4000, A1200, and a Georg Braun A1000 board that I am working to build, and would be willing to show.

I'm an Eastern Shore resident, so that might affect my ability to attend, though I do work in Baltimore.

- Alex

Offline motrucker

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
It would be great to have some NCAUG people fold into this idea. The more knowledge we can get together the better.
There used to be Commodore/Amiga user groups all over this area. It's about time this happened again.

Offline garyg

• Show only replies by garyg
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 18, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
Are there any plans for future meetings?