Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!  (Read 37223 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
That's cool. Maybe that's something I eventually learn myself. But for the time been I shall give this a go.

Due to the needed resources to run this would you say an emulated environment would be best?

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
I would never say an emulated environment is best, real Amigas forever!
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
I wonder if we could get the author to release the sources. I'd be willing to offer some prefab graphics, if we could.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;714872

Figured it would be wrong thing to ask you :P

Offline RedskullDC

• Show only replies by RedskullDC
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »
Hi Methuselas, et al.
Quote from: Methuselas;714874
I wonder if we could get the author to release the sources.

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, and Alastair no longer has either his machines or the source. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Looking at a dissassembly of the executable, it does indeed look like AmosPro code, as SamuraiCrow mentioned. (The startup code looks for AmosPro gui.library).

A lot of register-relative code, which can make it a little difficult to decipher.
Having said that, probably wouldn't be fantastically difficult to reverse engineer though if there was sufficient interest?

Cheers,
Red
Redskull @ Digital Corruption
A500, 4000/060-75MHz
WinUAE on Windows7-X64Ult
Minimig DE1
-------------------------

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 03:59:51 AM »
I think building blocks of code as shared libraries and then tying them all together with an editor would make more sense than reverse-engineering an old game engine.  Of more interest would be the file formats used by the old engine.

Once I get some time I think I've figured out a way to implement the ScrollingTrick code in system-friendly C using MrgCop() in Graphics.library to make a shared library out of it.  Once that's done I can make another one that gets similar results using Mesa so it will work on graphics cards if necessary, using the proper library for the proper hardware.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:49 AM »
It wouldn't take long for me to crank out some 16x16 and 32x32 blocks to use. That being said, provided it was backwards compatible with Backbone (for the time being) and open sourced, I'd be down to setup some graphics. Maya still supports Amiga IFFs as well, so I could make some top down dungeon blocks, if wanted.

Off Topic,

Samurai, all the under the hood stuff for BTBuilder is done, so now it's 100% compatible with both the PC and Amiga BTCS binaries. In fact, we've added up to 960x600 support, 9 (I think I did 9?) tilesets, animated picture slots, sound, blah blah. Dulsi took a break to do some reading and I'm currently focusing on some low poly animation work so I think we're done til the new year, but pretty much we're at the point where the Editor needs to be done, so you might want to have a look. Oh, it's got a crude, but effective map editor now, but it doesn't allow you to lay down specials or modify them. Maps, Monsters and Spells, though are xml compatible and can be hand edited, if need be.

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
Hear, hear!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
Lol I have it ready on my 600 and a 030 ;-) just a shame I have to wait to finish this set of night shifts before I can have a play. :'(

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 09:48:02 AM »

Ohh yeah, Too true!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I’ll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend!

Offline utri007

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
What are pixel size limits of chracters?? How many frames are possible to add chracter?? Like turnin 360 decrees, 8? 16? frames?? Other helpfull info?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline BooBoo1200

• Show only replies by BooBoo1200
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
Quote from: yssing;714864
Is the source for backbone available?

Yes - It temporarily leaves the Amos code in Ram disk before deleting it when compiling a game - So just copy before deleted  
or the whole source is included with the Backbone package but encrypted(or something)

Ive knocked Backbone befor but Big! respect for the programmer
The code is large but multipurpose - Anyone want to go through it and document it LOL!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
Nice thread Cammy!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline trekiej

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Way to go Cammy.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
Quote from: utri007;714950
What are pixel size limits of chracters?? How many frames are possible to add chracter?? Like turnin 360 decrees, 8? 16? frames?? Other helpfull info?

I think the block size is a max of 32x32 and frames are 16 fps, but it's been *AGES* since I played with Backbone. I don't even think I have any of the old games I worked on anymore.  Everything is sprite based, so if you're using 360 degree turning, it's best to do left, right, front and back sprites. If I remember correctly, you can have character animations for each of those.

@Cammy,

Correct me if I am wrong, Girl, but aren't you limited to only one block map per level? I seem to remember having to have all my blocks, sprites, gun sprites and enemies all on the same block. It made reusing sprites a pain in the @$$, I seem to remember. Also, was there a pixel size limit to the block maps? I ask, 'cos it would be really easy to create png files that you could then overlay upon one another to reuse sprites over and over again, thanks to alpha channels.

Anyways, if you want some new background blocks, let me know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:51:15 PM by Methuselas »

Offline amiman99

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 15, 2012, 05:20:10 AM »
Cammy, Great post.

I have an issue when a player dies over a "dangerous" tile and then re-spawn at the same place, then it dies again.
Do you know how to prevent that? I set the payer to be invincible for 10s, but is not working.
Thanks
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(