Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: KryoFlux - High Definition Flux Sampler for USB  (Read 9787 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: KryoFlux - USB Floppy Controller Beta Released
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
Quote from: Trev;543926
@Dr_Righteous

I own four Catweasels, three of which are boxed because Jens hasn't produced a 64-bit Windows driver. Legitimate competition is a good thing.

Plus, KryoFlex and Catweasel have different functionality--for now. Re: 64-bit, if Toni (or anyone else) went back to direct I/O for Catweasel access, the 64-bit problem could be solved as far as WinUAE is concerned.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
Re: KryoFlux - High Definition Flux Sampler for USB
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »
I'm not a hardware person. Where can I buy an assembled one?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:36:21 PM by nyteschayde »
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline mr.vinceTopic starter

• Show only replies by mr.vince
    • http://www.softpres.org
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;543994
I'm not a hardware person. Where can I buy an assembled one?

Please stick to this thread... we'll make an announcement. Will take some weeks, though...
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
Quote from: mr.vince;543937

Give me a second to gather my thoughts... Ok, here's the reply (please feel instructed to report back): No.

Hey, I'm just the messenger. I did my part and now I'm out of it.

That said, any reason one couldn't use a SAM7-H256 and solder the floppy cable connections directly to the board in place of the headers? ...instead of using one of the larger development boards with extraneous parts. Sure would make stuffing everything into a small case easier.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline mr.vinceTopic starter

• Show only replies by mr.vince
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »
Quote from: Dr_Righteous;544002

i understand. i just wasn't aware of people being available for taking instructions and spreading other people's opinions. ;)

your request reminded me of a fictious email from bill gates to steve jobs which i find quite amusing:

Redmond, December 16th, 2002

Dear Steve,

I hope, you are well. I think it is correct to say that we've never been very close friends, but we always respected each other. To be honest, I sometimes got a bit off the track and made up small puns at your cost, but what can you do when you're the richest man on earth?! As you might know, Windows is still selling very well. I mean, I am not surprised about this, they don't have a choice right now, do they?

You might be pleased to hear that Melinda and the kids are fine, especially Phebe Adele is doing very well. She really comes after her mother. I had some trouble last week when our gardener Jose had a little accident and scratched the driver's door of my 1989 Porsche. Luckily, he did not hit the green Maserati, which was standing nearby.

It came to my attention that your new OS X is making rapid progress and gaining market share, dragging away customers from the Windows platform. In regard to Melinda's and my foundation, our continuing expenses (e.g. school fees etc.), and the fact that we'd like to stay market leader, would you mind considering discontinuing your product line? Your efforts endanger one of the PC community's few remaining software manufacturers. I mean, we nearly drove all of them out of business, so who can help should we decide that selling Windows isn't profitable anymore?

Steve, I really appreciate your understanding and if you like, maybe we should have a brief conversation on the phone to discuss details.

All the best, yours truly,
Bill
hilarious, don't you think? :lol:

That said, any reason one couldn't use a SAM7-H256 and solder the floppy cable connections directly to the board in place of the headers? ...instead of using one of the larger development boards with extraneous parts. Sure would make stuffing everything into a small case easier.

yes, i know someone doing that. works fine as it seems. i think it does not have leds, which was important for development. let me know if it works for you.

best,
chris

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »

I'm just interested to know who "instructed" you to make such an outrageous request. I have my suspicions, based on the assumption that it's someone who has an interest in the sales of Catweasel hardware, and who does not have an account here (any more...?) to make the request himself. It's not very difficult to work out who this might be, and if it is that person, then making such a request is potentially much more damaging to his business than a competing product could ever be.

Disclaimer - this is just my opinion and speculation. Terms and conditions apply. Your experience may vary. Always read the label.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »

Regardless of who asked you to do that, it puts Jens in really a bad position as most of us automatically associate your post with Jens, if he requested you to do it or not.  I'm not really sure how Jens can rectify the situation, he is going to lose sales if he embraces his competition but that would signal it wasn't him making the request to you.  If he does nothing, he is going to be losing face and sales even if it wasn't him.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline kolla

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »
Sheesh, people dont takes jokes anymore?

A USB floppy drive that can read/write amiga floppies would be nice, but every attempt at such project has dwindled away as people just cant leave it at that, and insist that it also must handle every obscure floppy format known to man, deal with all kinds of copyprotections and whatnot. And yes, I have three catweasels as well (mk2, 3 and 4), and two kywaldas.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline fiath

• Show only replies by fiath
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
Well, that is okay then, because KryoFlux supports basically all formats already :)

Copy protection is no problem either, KryoFlux reads disks at the flux transition level - copy protection is read just like any other data.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:26:20 PM by fiath »

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »
Quote from: fiath;544114
Well, that is okay then, because KryoFlux supports basically all formats already :)

Copy protection is no problem either, KryoFlux reads disks at the flux transition level - copy protection is read just like any other data.

Now, this Kryoflux thing you guys have invented, this basically "spans the globe" of data preservation, right?  I mean, we're not just talking about 800k mac disks, amiga and STs anymore.  You guys could corner the forensic disk preservation/restoration market.  Imagine being able to recover 8" floppies from the late 1970's/early 1980's (even partially).  

This is pretty revolutionary, and any petty jealousy needs to be disposed with (on your detractor's side - you guys are aces for producing this thing!)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline fiath

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Yes, we do hope (as our software technology is free, and the hardware is cheap and open so can be made by anyone) that we will basically nail this problem for good. Cheap, easy and reliable - we solve the technical issues, and get the community to help us with the problem of locating and imaging all those games where it was not possible or easy to do before.

8" preservation would be amazing. However, one of the biggest problems with that is getting hold of the drives. They seem very rare these days... With a drive, as long as we can interface it (which I don't think should be too hard), it should be easy to integrate imaging into our software.

As to "being disposed with", we have in fact already had some "problems" elsewhere. Talking entirely for myself, I think this is pretty pathetic and unprofessional. Still, this train has left the building, and so there is nothing anyone can do about it now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:04:24 PM by fiath »

Offline kolla

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
So can this be used to write out an amiga floppy, mount it and write out files to it? I know, very advanced tasks :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
I asked this in another thread somewhere, but it got buried.. :-)

I no longer have a 5 1/4" PC drive.
Now, there's time, since I'm going to be buying one of your interfaces when it comes out, as my soldering skills are passable, but just barely.. :-)

So, I thought I'd start hitting the old electronic stores and looking for drive mechanisms..  

Is there anything I should be looking for?

Just any HD 5 1/4" PC floppy drive?  I saw something on one of your updated at mentioned heads stopping and not getting to -8, but only -4 or something like that..

Is that probably not a big deal and I should just grab any 5 1/4" HD drive?
I'm not really worried about flippies at this point (where I think the above issue was) and mostly thinking of C64 and Apple II floppies (and eventually Coleco Adam, as I do have one of those drives, which doesn't get much use..).

Thanx,

desiv

p.s.  How come I can't order a case of 100 Elephant 5 1/4" DSDD floppies for $35 (OK, I don't remember how much, but it didn't seem like much) like I used to be able to... :-)
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline fiath

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
Quote from: kolla;544130
So can this be used to write out an amiga floppy, mount it and write out files to it? I know, very advanced tasks :)

Do you mean actually use it as a normal floppy drive from an Amiga or emulator?

Interesting question. It was intended as a preservation tool, and we don't really have that kind of usage in mind, so I doubt we would work on it ourselves. However, the source to the host software will be available, and once we have added writing support, I can't really see any reason why it can't be done. Maybe somebody will hack around with it and get it to do that... we certainly encourage that sort of thing (as long as the result is not for commercial use or product, or other non-private use - that would require a license).

Offline fiath

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
Quote from: desiv;544131
Just any HD 5 1/4" PC floppy drive?  I saw something on one of your updated at mentioned heads stopping and not getting to -8, but only -4 or something like that..

Is that probably not a big deal and I should just grab any 5 1/4" HD drive?
I'm not really worried about flippies at this point (where I think the above issue was) and mostly thinking of C64 and Apple II floppies (and eventually Coleco Adam, as I do have one of those drives, which doesn't get much use..).

As long as you don't need to do flippy disks, you can use any standard PC HD 5 1/4" drive, yes. However, if you are interested in C64 and Apple II disks, I guess you might want something that can do flippy disks? Yes, that may require a drive mod for many drives to step to -8. We are still researching what drives are best for doing it...

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 20, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »
Quote from: fiath;544139
As long as you don't need to do flippy disks, you can use any standard PC HD 5 1/4" drive, yes. However, if you are interested in C64 and Apple II disks, I guess you might want something that can do flippy disks? Yes, that may require a drive mod for many drives to step to -8. We are still researching what drives are best for doing it...

Thanx for the heads up.

I might eventually be interested in flilppy's, so I'll be watching what you get on there.  But I think I'll start shopping (trying to find some that still work) for HD drives now.  That way, I will have something I can use when your card is available.

I might be able to mod it if/when I need flippy's, or just get another modable (is that a word?) drive when that happens.  :-)

Great news...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.