Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 10203 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: Will this work?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624528
its not a bad OSX machine (or Ubuntu for that matter).

Actually, it is a bad Ubuntu machine, last I tried (and I seem to recall Franko trying as well) 10.04 and 10.10 didn't work on it, at least not without a lot of trouble.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624531
Hmmm... not sure who wrote that but he forgot to point out that on the iMAC G4 800Mhz PPC (table lamp version) it DOESN'T WORK with 10.5... :(

I've tried it myself on my fully expanded iMACG4 and yes you can install 10.5 but...

Expect countless "Application Not Responding" crashes & lockups...
Random and totally unpredictable and unexpected Freezes...
Utils & Apps that you download written for OSX 10.5 not to install and most will (if they do install) quit with random errors telling you all sorts of weird stuff...

Ended up having to reformat the drive and doing a total re-install of OSX 10.4 again... :(

Definetaly not worth even attempting to install 10.5 on these particular iMAC G4 Models as you'll soon realise if you do that it doesn't have the power or the GFX Board to cope with 10.5 apps... :(

Erm... Frank, that page is a listing of machines that DO run 10.5 when you use the Leopard Assist program linked at the top of that page.

It runs on lowly 450MHz G4 Cubes faster than 10.4 does.  It's more stable too.

1. Install 10.4
2. Download this file and unzip it
3. Run LeopardAssist.app (Click Options and then Optimize for machines with crap graphics cards)
4. Insert 10.5 disc and continue.
5. Profit!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624540
Erm... Frank, that page is a listing of machines that DO run 10.5 when you use the Leopard Assist program linked at the top of that page.

It runs on lowly 450MHz G4 Cubes faster than 10.4 does.  It's more stable too.

1. Install 10.4
2. Download this file and unzip it
3. Run LeopardAssist.app (Click Options and then Optimize for machines with crap graphics cards)
4. Insert 10.5 disc and continue.
5. Profit!

I did use LeopardAssist with the install and the results were as posted above, I also visited many MAC forums and almost everyone using this particular model of the iMACG4 had the same problems... (and other ones that I hadn't encountered yet) :(

People far more knowledgeable than me on these forums were explaining to others (like myself) that because of the type of GFX card, Bus speeds etc... that trying to run OSX 10.5 one this model is pretty pointless as most of the apps and utils written for 10.5 will as I've described either crash or will run so slowly and unresponsive as to make them unusable... :(

I've tried it myself and believe me unless all you want to do is run the OSX 10.4 version of Safari you regret ever installing 10.5 on an iMacG4 @ 800Mhz, (if you start to upgrade Safari to the 10.5 versions you end up with a browser that is so slow and unresponsive it makes the 10.4 version look super fast)... :(

If you don't believe me get yourself an old iMac G4 of the type mentioned and try it for yourself then you'll understand how bad it is. (heck even Apple themselves and their tech support will tell you the same)... :(

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624544
I did use LeopardAssist with the install and the results were as posted above, I also visited many MAC forums and almost everyone using this particular model of the iMACG4 had the same problems... (and other ones that I hadn't encountered yet) :(

People far more knowledgeable than me on these forums were explaining to others (like myself) that because of the type of GFX card, Bus speeds etc... that trying to run OSX 10.5 one this model is pretty pointless as most of the apps and utils written for 10.5 will as I've described either crash or will run so slowly and unresponsive as to make them unusable... :(

I've tried it myself and believe me unless all you want to do is run the OSX 10.4 version of Safari you regret ever installing 10.5 on an iMacG4 @ 800Mhz, (if you start to upgrade Safari to the 10.5 versions you end up with a browser that is so slow and unresponsive it makes the 10.4 version look super fast)... :(

If you don't believe me get yourself an old iMac G4 of the type mentioned and try it for yourself then you'll understand how bad it is. (heck even Apple themselves and their tech support will tell you the same)... :(

I've got an even worse G4 here with 512MB RAM and a Mach64 or other such crap graphics card in it and it ran Leopard ok before I put MorphOS on it.

Firefox ran fine on it too, Safari is shite. :lol:

edit:

You have to remember to click the Options/Optimize button to disable the fancy gfx stuff though.  If you don't it WILL run like shite.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:32:53 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624551
I've got an even worse G4 here with 512MB RAM and a Mach64 or other such crap graphics card in it and it ran Leopard ok before I put MorphOS on it.

Firefox ran fine on it too, Safari is shite. :lol:

edit:

You have to remember to click the Options/Optimize button to disable the fancy gfx stuff though.  If you don't it WILL run like shite.

I visited many mac forums, contacted my local Apple stores tech dept and even contacted the guy who originally installed my iMacG4 (he's an apple engineer) before I tried this out as I didn't think it would be as bad as these folk claimed, however it turned out they were 100% correct it just doesn't help on these particular models... :(

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_17_fp.html

I was given many technical explanations as to why it's pointless installing OS 10.5 on this type of iMac, but it's only after having tried it myself I can assure you while it may work on others (even of a lower spec) OSX 10.5 on this model makes 10.4 look like it's running in some sort of turbo mode... :)

All I can say is if you ever get the chance to try it on one of these models then you'll understand what I'm talking about here.. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624554
I visited many mac forums, contacted my local Apple stores tech dept and even contacted the guy who originally installed my iMacG4 (he's an apple engineer) before I tried this out as I didn't think it would be as bad as these folk claimed, however it turned out they were 100% correct it just doesn't help on these particular models... :(

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_17_fp.html

I was given many technical explanations as to why it's pointless installing OS 10.5 on this type of iMac, but it's only after having tried it myself I can assure you while it may work on others (even of a lower spec) OSX 10.5 on this model makes 10.4 look like it's running in some sort of turbo mode... :)

All I can say is if you ever get the chance to try it on one of these models then you'll understand what I'm talking about here.. ;)

You should sell both of them and get a G4 Tower with a Radeon to dual boot MorphOS and Leopard. :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624556
You should sell both of them and get a G4 Tower with a Radeon to dual boot MorphOS and Leopard. :)

Nah... more than happy with the G5 (well apart from a 7 month old HD bloody failling and spending all day yesterday fitting a new one and re-installing everything)... :)

The simple reason I didn't buy a PC or other type of old Mac was I don't like towers or desktop boxes, the iMAC G5 is just perfect for me as it only takes up the same space as a 20" flatscreen TV and I only need it for browsing the web & uploading/downloading stuff... :)

Came to the conclusion that MorphOS is not for me, the iMac does it's job for the net and my Amigas cover every other computing need I have, all in all I'm more than happy with the way things are as they suit my needs perfectly... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624559
Nah... more than happy with the G5 (well apart from a 7 month old HD bloody failling and spending all day yesterday fitting a new one and re-installing everything)... :)

The simple reason I didn't buy a PC or other type of old Mac was I don't like towers or desktop boxes, the iMAC G5 is just perfect for me as it only takes up the same space as a 20" flatscreen TV and I only need it for browsing the web & uploading/downloading stuff... :)

Came to the conclusion that MorphOS is not for me, the iMac does it's job for the net and my Amigas cover every other computing need I have, all in all I'm more than happy with the way things are as they suit my needs perfectly... :)

What about the X1000?

Offline Franko

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624570
What about the X1000?

Still very interested in buying one but I'll have to wait (like everyone else) and see what the final specs are when it gets released, if it runs OS4.x it should be ok but if it's running MorphOS then I doubt I'll be buying one... :)

Again though being in a tower is not ideal for me with all my VIC20s, C64s, SNES & Amiga's taking up so much space already, reckon the NatAmi when it gets released will be better suited for me and to be honest more my type of machine ie: 68K... :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
Quote from: tone007;624533
Actually, it is a bad Ubuntu machine, last I tried (and I seem to recall Franko trying as well) 10.04 and 10.10 didn't work on it, at least not without a lot of trouble.

That's surprising since those releases run fine on a 733Mhz Powermac.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624556

Keep the G5, sell the other. Then follow Nicholas' recommendation.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624571
Still very interested in buying one but I'll have to wait (like everyone else) and see what the final specs are when it gets released, if it runs OS4.x it should be ok but if it's running MorphOS then I doubt I'll be buying one... :)

Again though being in a tower is not ideal for me with all my VIC20s, C64s, SNES & Amiga's taking up so much space already, reckon the NatAmi when it gets released will be better suited for me and to be honest more my type of machine ie: 68K... :)

Franko, its been repeatedly stated that MorphOS won't be ported to this. And why would that affect your decision to buy an AOs4 PPC based computer?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624571

I thought you didn't like OS4?

I don't care for it much either these days, it's rapidly becoming a poor Linux clone with less compatibility for Amiga software than MorphOS.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624579
I thought you didn't like OS4?

I don't care for it much either these days, it's rapidly becoming a poor Linux clone with less compatibility for Amiga software than MorphOS.

Apparently he doesn't like OS4 or MorphOS, Nicholas.
Personally, I secretly suspect Franko actually likes OSX.

And I don't understand the posts about an 800Mhz iMac running Ubuntu or OSX 10.5 poorly as I've run both on more primitive equipment (although Franko may be right about 10.4 being better suited to slower hardware).

Offline Franko

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624575
Franko, its been repeatedly stated that MorphOS won't be ported to this. And why would that affect your decision to buy an AOs4 PPC based computer?

Sorry don't understand your question :confused:

@ nicholas

I don't like OS4 on a real Amiga with a PPC card cos it's slower than a dead donkey (although Karlos tells me it's ok if you have a GFX card)... :)

But, if the X1000 is built to handle OS4 and has good enough specs on it's final release then it should run OS4 at it's best... (I hope) :)

MorphOS even though Iggy has pointed out it wont be used on the X1000 is after much mulling over by myself not for me mainly due to the silly Licence you have to buy for it, far too restrictive in my opinion... :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624601
Apparently he doesn't like OS4 or MorphOS, Nicholas.
Personally, I secretly suspect Franko actually likes OSX.

And I don't understand the posts about an 800Mhz iMac running Ubuntu or OSX 10.5 poorly as I've run both on more primitive equipment (although Franko may be right about 10.4 being better suited to slower hardware).

Visit some mac forums and you find that on these particular iMacG4 models the processing power needed for OSX 10.5 and the drain on resources just slows them down to an unusable state... :)

You can't change or upgrade anything in these models other than the HD & DVD drives as everything is incorporated onto the MB so your stuck with what you've got.... :(

From what I've learned from other Mac users on those forums it's mainly down to the particular GFX card on them and the bus speeds, simply put an iMAC G4 PPC 800Mhz is quite a good machine as long as you don't try and go beyond OSX 10.4.11... :)