Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any SGI fans?  (Read 8239 times)

Description:

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Any SGI fans?
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
I have a few SGIs in my storage, still.  SGI made some awesome systems, and I remember seriously drooling over them back when I was in college, and they were cutting edge.  I picked mine up off a Craigslist sale of an engineering firm that folded about 10 years ago.  I have an Indigo 2 (Teal) an Indigo 2 Impact R10K (Purple), and an Octane R10k dual.  Couldn't tell ya the RAM on them, anymore.  For a long while getting an IRIX install media set was a rare and expensive thing.  But I remember for a while, at least, they then became common, and I know I snagged one and reinstalled my Octane R10k dual from scratch on a 7200 RPM SCSI drive.  Interesting experiment that was.  lol...  I got most everything working as I wanted, and then I had to quickly move to a new house, and it hasn't seen power since.

I just found the special monitor cable to hook it up. Does anyone know if it will connect to an LCD without smoke? It's been stored for years now. Fire it up again? What do you think...

Yup, as TeamBlackFox said, signal wise, SGI 13w3 video is a different connection of VGA with Sync on Green.  Provided you have a shielded adaptor, it shouldn't be a problem.  The 13w3 -> VGA adaptor should take care of it.  Or if you have an even older SGI, the split BNC -> VGA adaptor would be all you need.

Just in case, i'm looking for Octane drive caddies.

Heh... Good luck.  They were rare as anything back 10 years ago...  I can't imagine, now.