Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Right to Repair  (Read 2002 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaNGTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
Right to Repair
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:49:07 PM »
So there a movement in the tech world on the Right to Repair, I just wonder what Amiga users feel about all this, I know Commodore did a pretty good job for the time they where about, I dont recall them doing any funny business like have custom screw heads made, or holding on to the chips supply or having software / the OS detect none compliment hardware, I look at the whole modding and hacking scene we have got in the Amiga world and it kind of make me sad that the new modern computers dont really have that.

Most Phones & laptops just 6 year ago you could easily replace the battery now that's no longer the case, I get it for some designs it might be very difficult or in practice to allow battery access but then there even stopping third party replacement parts I get it they can be dangerous or not as good quality control but it should be up to the end user of what they do with the device.

Plus who knows where this will lead in the future as more device get connected to the internet, or when all cars go electric. John Deere tractors story is maybe a glimpse of the future? ( https://www.vice.com/en/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware )

Anyway pretty good video on it here where I feel the basic right to repair a item you own should be allowed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTbrXiIzUt4

Offline spudmiga

• A chip off the old block
    • Show only replies by spudmiga
Re: Right to Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:28:24 PM »
Agree with you!

It is not just electronics but cars now as well. People used to be able to look after and maintain their vehicles, but with ECU's in all modern vehicles now, it normally means a trip to the dealer to get something diagnosed and repaired!
All electronics should be accessible with a philips or pozi screwdriver.

I also find the relentless pressing of the markets to connect EVERYTHING onto the Internet rather sinister. Seriously, why the hell does a Microwave need to be online?
Over-reliance on such infrastructure will inevitably lead to despair, when things go wrong. Keep things simple.

Spud.  8)
Founder of NWAG - North West Amiga Group (UK)

Night Operations

A1200, ACA 1233/50Mhz, 130Mb + 4Gb CF + OS 3.2
A500 Plus, 2Mb, OS 2.05

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:16:01 PM »
The VIC-20 user's manual included specs for all the port pin-outs, and the reference guide came with the full schematics of the computer itself.
I suppose that one could argue that with the complexity of modern computers, this would not be feasible, but it shows how things have changed.

The Commodore 8-bit line (and to some extent the Amiga) were made to be tinkered with and hacked. The VIC-20 was in a way the Arduino of its day.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:19:44 PM by Ral-Clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline tommywiz

• Show only replies by tommywiz
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 06:18:00 AM »
I remember when most electronic products came with schematics. Either in the user manual or tucked inside the device.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
In the 1970s it was usual to be also provided with a full listing of the operating system (eg. Commodore PET, various Signetics-based machines). So the VIC-20 and beyond were a step backwards in that regard.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:33:36 AM by Minuous »

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 12:03:33 PM »
Yep, I remember Panasonic (National Panasonic back then) doing this.
When I starting playing with Electronics at age 6, I would love looking through such documents.

I remember when most electronic products came with schematics. Either in the user manual or tucked inside the device.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:04:13 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline AmigaBruno

• Show only replies by AmigaBruno
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »
I agree! I've been to lots of Restart Parties where this is the whole attitude behind them. These parties and associated events are now taking place in various countries.

Unfortunately, nowadays Apple is the main alternative to MS Windows with commercial support, unless you count Android devices, but their policy is to try and stop people repairing or even upgrading their devices as much as possible.

I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro (mid 2012) running the latest non beta macOS which is Monterey, although this laptop isn't supported by Monterey. It's been called "the last fully upgradeable MacBook". In spite of this, Apple are planning to make my MacBook totally obsolete by releasing versions of macOS which are only compatible with "Apple Silicon" CPU Macs. These Macs are basically impossible to upgrade at all, due to soldering the RAM with a technique I'd never seen before last year, as well as even soldering in the SSD hard drives. I think they're impossible for the users to repair as well.

I've recently started going to meetings at a nearby repairs workshop, connected with the Restart Project. Some people there have been working on Apple devices. I think they can also help me with an Amiga A1200 repair that has just come up. This is because they've mentioned replacing surface mount components. I haven't posted a message about this on here yet, though. They're also trying to repair an ancient, sturdy looking toaster. I was startled when they mentioned something called a (ultra)sonic cleaner for repiaring liquid damage, which I'd never heard of before. I said it sounded like sonic showers in sci fi series. I think there could be some more devices from sci fi series appearing in real life soon, which would help with repairs or even replacements.

The attitude of lots of businesses is that various items are "not worth repairing". Years ago, when I had less money, I got very upset when my kettle or toaster broke down, because I knew I'd just have to buy a new one. The explanation for this is as follows. "I run a business where I charge everyone §30 per hour (§=any currency) for my valuable skills and time. The cheapest replacement toaster or kettle costs §15, but it would take me 1-2 hours, or even longer, to repair your old toaster or kettle, so just buy a nice new toaster or kettle from me for §15 or even §30 and stop wasting my valuable time!" This kind of attitude forced me to stop using my 1084S monitor after the red, green, or blue signal stopped working. Somone who was supposed to help people avoid this extortion told me a friend of his "Would charge §35 per hour just to LOOK at it!", but this was some time after I'd stopped using my 1084S and had to use an older monitor with a custom cable that someone made for me.

For more information about The Restart Project and their events, visit https://therestartproject.org

Offline HGC

• Show only replies by <s>HGC</s>
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 04:34:43 PM »
I will not buy any electronics or car that I can not repair myself.  I am still using a Pentium II computer, a Pentium III computer, and an AMD Athlon II computer in 2022.  I am still running Windows 7 Professional on my main AMD FX PC.  I only buy and drive older cars and vans.  I have never bought and I will never buy a new vehicle.  At present time, I am slowly weaning myself off of the internet.  I do not need the internet for the work I do on my PCs.  And, I do not need the internet for PC gaming.  If your PC is not connected to the internet, you can use any version of Windows you want to.  Also, you do not have to install an Anti-Virus program and you can turn off all of the firewalls.  This greatly speeds up your PCs performance.  I will talk more about this on my YouTube channel.  Only stupid people buy and use Apple products.  This includes the iPhones, iPads, and the rest of the iCrap.  Stupid people spend hundreds of dollars for a smartphone that they can not repair or upgrade the OS themselves.  Even the Macintosh computers are way over-priced, low quality pieces of garbage.  And yet yuppies and stupid people bought them.  And, these same people never learned their lesson, and continue to buy over-priced, low quality Apple crap today.  STOP IT!!!!  If you want the "right to repair" then only buy vintage or the older stuff.  Remember: Just because it is new does not mean that it is better.  Compare the older cars and trucks to the plastic and tin crap that people are stupid enough to buy today.  Older cars weighed on average 2 TONS or more.  Cars and trucks today weigh on average less than 1,000 pounds (half a TON).  The bodies are made out of the same stuff that Coke and Pepsi cans are made of.  The rest is all plastic.  If you want change, then do something, instead of just complaining in a forum.

Offline kolla

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 08:04:22 AM »
How does one repair hardware which is defined in abandoned VHDL and not at all open?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox