Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 86502 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #899 from previous page: March 29, 2021, 07:06:08 PM »
Yes, it really is Pat.

I have linked people to this thread in the past, people who are having trouble with Bridgeboards or 2000s... like, "Hey, you think this is easy, it isn't". :)

Have fun with your printer. You could setup as a recapper / repairer with your skills.

Quite a gap in people offering external Gotek cases, you could do that too. The world is your oyster. Try scooping, there are pearls out there.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #900 on: March 30, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »
Hey Pat,

This thread is actually handy.  For me as well.  I documented a lot of things/steps/configs/Plus Photos that I'd never find lost in my Hard Drive Archives, or in my past fading memories.

Not sure what you mean by "MY PRINTER".  Maybe a typo.

I probably said a dozen times I'd sell my A2000 when I finished playing with it.
Now would be a good time, before not many people on this planet around to enjoy it, or pay something for it.
Yet, I can't seem to let it go since it's special and  plenty of things I can do.

With my spending curtailed till I find a new gig, I dug up some Collectors Beatle Albums (Color Vinyls), and an heading to a LP store to sell them.  What I get $ for them I can spend for some frivous spending that Wife won't scold me for.
The LP's don't do much for me sitting in a box.  I have no interest to frame them for display either.
Amiga can alway be revived for some Retro Activities.

Take care.  I'll post once I have the DFO:/DF1 floppy switcher and finish all that's left to Hack on this Amiga.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #901 on: April 01, 2021, 06:19:22 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "MY PRINTER".  Maybe a typo.

Your Ender 3 3D printer.

Oh, one quirk of industrial CF cards and DOMs - they always register as fixed disk rather than removable to an IDE controller. That could be your issue with the Lowtech IDE. Also perphaps it's limited to drive size, being for older AT equipment?

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #902 on: April 04, 2021, 02:45:00 AM »
I haven't read the thread as I need my sleep but I was posting about my mouse and saw your bridgeboard reference in the thread title and was reflecting on the fact that I uncovered an AT Emulator Sandwich Board or BD made in West Germany in 1988 today. I do have the board it slots into so they can be reunited. This board has had so much work done to it. Tiny wires all over the place. Folk that struggled to get the boards working were very dedicated. How you work out what wire does what I wouldn't have a clue. It's a nice have I guess and good to hold in the hand. Don't think it'll ever find its way inside any of my 2000s. I never saw the point of the emulator to be honest. I have a 1060 on a 1000 which works but its dull as soup.

I'll catch up with your thread sometime when I get a spare week. Looks very popular. Keep it up.

« Reply #903 on: April 26, 2021, 06:16:17 AM »
Well I hope my thread isn't your sleep treatment.  LOL.

So if I understand correctly you have a AT Bridgeboard with the Sandwitch card.
https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=329

To me the 8088 Bridgeboard was just fun to get working.  The challenge (the journey) not a practical pupose.
The other Half the fun was getting the WD HD controller working with acient KaLock 35MB hard disk.

I still am hanging on to my Amiga to do a few more mods.  Things you can't do with modern Tablets, Phones that are Sealed made for More Practical Daily use.

BTW, I checked your Web Site.  Whoa!! do you have quite the collection.  Certainly brings back memories.
I feel guitly with my One Desk Loaded with A2000 Stuff.  NOt sure how you manage to keep so many items.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:30:33 AM by wbrejnia »

« Reply #904 on: January 17, 2022, 06:35:59 AM »
Thought I'd drop in on my old rebuild/hack thread, to continue where I left off.

The Amiga hasn't moved an inch since last time I posted.  Still sitting on my workbench, guts all out, begging for attention.

About a year ago, I purchased on of these External Gotek Adapters .  Never got around to playing with it.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233144988083

The adapter wouldn't solve my GOTEK DF0: Boot setup, so I also ordered one of these DFO selectors and a chip remover to do the task 
https://amigastore.eu/485-df0-selector.html
That got put off with my "fear" of removing the Chip from my Amiga Motherboard, and possibly cracking it, rendering my Amiga useless.

Then shortly afterwards....I got let go from my IT Job after 35 years..... (I'm Semi-Retired for now).

I've been spending the last 11 months chipping away at my TO-DO-List with all the free time on my hands.

Covid and dark gloomy winter days, is perfect time to get back to my unfinished Amiga.

Maybe complete this thread if anyone is still around or cares.

« Reply #905 on: January 17, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »
So I'm wondering before I attempt any chip removal.

Will the two adapters above (combined) work together, so that I can externalize my Gotek, and have it boot DF0: or be a DF1: drive, so I can close up my Amiga 2000 Case?

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #906 on: January 17, 2022, 10:23:35 PM »
I can't think why they would not work togeter but you probably don't need both.

If you are using the external adapter, that let's you select which DF number the external drive will have.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:24:26 PM by Pat the Cat »

« Reply #907 on: January 18, 2022, 04:54:54 AM »
I always thought the Externally connected Drive cannot be DF0:, even if internal Drive is disconnected.
So its  not possible to boot a Game from External Drive Floppy (The Gotek is acting like a Floppy Drive and it's external).

(1) Thus the (DF0: adapter) would give me DF0: on external Drive Port.  That's the purpose of the Adapter selection (DF0: or DF1: ....)

(2) I still need the GOTEK Adapter to get Gotek to connect physically to the External Amiga Port.

« Reply #908 on: January 20, 2022, 11:12:14 AM »
Well I guess the Gotek/Adapter project will have to be put on hold.   Found something way more exciting.

Just discovered the PiStorm/Emu86 project going on, which is the close to the classic accelerator I could never aquire to keep things true to original, and still get more CPU power into my setup.

Just ordered the PiStorm 2k, A RaspPi 3A+ and a 68000 CPU relocator card so I can easily swap between original CPU and the PiStorm.
Can't wait for peices to arrive.  This will be fun if what I see is truely possible, and it works as I see being demonstrated.

I find it a bit baffling that there are no forum threads going on about this truely remarkable evolution. 
Maybe the PiStorm is still new and evolving, plus chip shortages holding things from general availability.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #909 on: January 21, 2022, 02:17:17 AM »
The Discord channel for that is very active.

Been taking a break from there for a while now.

https://discord.com/invite/j6rPtzxaNW

Dunno if they've got it working with Autoconfig boards yet.

EDIT: You will also need a micro sd card for the Pi. Faster is better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:58:48 AM by Pat the Cat »

« Reply #910 on: January 21, 2022, 05:49:47 AM »
Thanks Pat, I've been to PiStorm Discord few days ago, it a bit confusing since I'm not used to that type of messaging forum.   Lots of channels and activity going on.  Development/Testing is moving lighting fast.  Certainly the PiStorm is WIP.

The best summary based I've found on the PiStorm is Noel's You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouakRDHisew
He really covers off the topic well.  All before Emy86 came along, however he does cover the concept of Barebone OS on the Pi, which if I understand correctly is what Emu86 is all about.

I'll learn more when my parts arrive, however if I understand things correctly, if one uses the PiStorm as a pure 68000 Emulator (without emulating HD, RTG via HDSMI, network, on the Pi) you can use many periperals in the Amiga (Certainly the Floppy or Gotek).  There still might be limitations. No idea till I try.

It is quite exciting and a cheap alternative to getting a Vampire, etc for casual use and exploration.

I do understand the need for SD cards on a Raspberry Pi.  I built at least a dozen complex projects via Raspberry Pi's and Ardiuno.   That's why the PiStorm caught my attention and enthusiam.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic for this thread.  Might be a good idea to start another new topic when I fool around with the PiStorm and my A2000 bundles.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #911 on: January 21, 2022, 01:23:02 PM »
One guy tried using PCTask with Pistorm. With mixed results;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehrqBP2rjVg

« Reply #912 on: January 22, 2022, 02:33:44 AM »
Pat,

I watched that video as well.   Everything out there so far is Dec 2021, so out of date.

I've been trying to understand the PiStorm from Hardware 68000 Chip Hardware Pinout Perspective. 
If all the pins are emulated by the PiStorm HW and Firmware it should work as a like for like CPU Emulator. (If you put aside Fancy Emulator of RTG, Virtual disks, etc)

This is the 68000 Pinout https://www.cpu-world.com/info/Pinouts/68000.html

This one Circuit Diagram I found for Folks building the PiStorm HW portion  [url]https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm/blob/3a5f2fb1d3fc2eb9b95c61993ffc30a4462dbc55/Pistorm_Rev_B-1.pdf[url]

I like to understand things, but way over my skill level when it comes to what Amigas need for signalling from CPU.

Let the experts figure things out.  Things have already become so much advanced, and fuctional.  Plus easier to build/install compared to mid 2021 when PiStorm just got started.
I can't do anything anyway except patiently wait for my PiStorm Module to arrrive.  The Raspberry P3A+ arrived today.   One step closer.

« Reply #913 on: January 22, 2022, 02:46:15 AM »
Actually I'm starting to understand the PiStorm  (Extra Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Side: Apps, Disk, Software, RTG, and Network).  It' called "A314"

If you got back to oringal setup of PiStorm (Manual Way) it becomes a bit more clear https://www.retro32.com/amiga-resources/240820213135-pistorm-installation-and-setup-guide-apps-pidisk-networking-and-rtg-a314

You don't have to enable any A314 peices in the Config.  You can simply Select what CPU you want to emulate, and the reset is components of the Amiga HW.
At least that's the way it Seems.

The Emu68 project is replacing an heavy Raspberry Pi Linux OS with a Barebone Linux.  That why the Emu86 way is many many times faster.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #914 on: January 22, 2022, 04:46:46 AM »
Well, this much I'm aware of;-

1) A314 is a different expansion (trapdoor) designed to give network, hd and I think  RTG support. As it is Pi based, porting the code to extend Pistorm functionality.
t
2) Emu68 is just the code for 68K emulation. I think main Pihstorm repo has Musashi emulator still bundled, but it's not difficult to compile with either.

3) Compile? Oh yes. It's very much down and dirty with the Pi to get going,

4) Part of the process involves flashing the firmware to the Pistorm adapter to program the CPLD chips. They can be problematic (different versions due to chip shortage, also no guarantee the board was put together right - shorts are not unheard of, although they are often fixable by the end user.

5) More info here;-

https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

And you will often find THAT is outdated. WIP-CRAP for most up to date (AlexH and Beany on Discord doing ever more amazing things).

In short, it's very very DIY and a bit of a slog to setup before you actually slap it into an Amiga and power up.

But, nothing else touches it for price really.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:57:35 AM by Pat the Cat »