Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 87031 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;820154
My SUSPICION is there are config files missing on the GENERIC "Bridgeboard DISK". Drive Mappings, Mount points etc.

tThis is the case.

It is very likely these are present on your "Original Janus" Amiga disk, and you should examine the directory contents and compare it to the Download "Modern Janus" Amiga floppy. That's the Janus side. In theory, there were not many changes to to the original release and specification for compatibility. In practice, some parts changed a lot to retain compatibility with different AMIGADOS releases. But it was a big thing for CBM to keep BB compatible with all Amigas. Less so for Escom and later.

On cable connections, the best way to be SURE they are connected is to get a pin diagram for each end and check that way. Then you are sure they are connected properly and that issue is resolved, but it is critical component of any solution.

This could stop even a real PC accessing the PC hard drive, with a correct floppy disk set to mount the hard drive correctly for PC DOS use. Let alone expecting an Amiga to work properly. FDisk is a good way to check for connection on the PC side, but I am not sure it would pick it up for a drive of this age, if the drive was formatted to a weirdo Amiga compatible filesystem. It should, but the standards were different then, and there were limitations in reading or even connecting "alien" devices.

BB are a bit weird, because they have shared busses, one side can talk to the others devices even if the other is technically "crashed" or hasn't been booted to an operating system. That was the whole idea, and it's what made BB so much better (more expensive though) than an emulator. Either side could have a problem, and losing the Amiga side usually lost you bits done by that (things like keyboard input) but that didn't matter sometimes.

Another point - the HD controller card might be dead, rather than the HD itself. Might need replacing.

When / If you do get file access to the drive, your first action should be to dump the contents to a suitable directory, that can take FFS sized file names and directories, of a larger area than the drive. You only get one guaranteed shot at reading the data, if you do reach that stage, so retain it as your first and top priority.

Relying on that hard drive to keep operating is not a good plan. If the read head is misalligened and gouges the disk surface as it starts reading the data, you destroy everything as you preserve it. Seen that happen. Not a pretty sight. This is why you "PARKed" a drive before turning the system off. The heads didn't park themselves safely in most drives. SCSI and IDE usually don't have that problem much if at all and are quite happy, so long as they are not shut down midstream.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:51:09 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;820190
FYI, on an unrelated note, if you do intend to get this system running again and expanding it into a dual Amiga/PC workstation, you can also extend those last two 8-bit ISA slots into 16-bit by adding the missing connectors.  Like this:

Although if you're going to do that I'd look into getting a faster model bridgeboard, as well.  :D

I'd forgotten you could do that, and some Amigas, you had to. Thanks. :)

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wbrejnia
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;820203

On cable connections, the best way to be SURE they are connected is to get a pin diagram for each end and check that way. Then you are sure they are connected properly and that issue is resolved, but it is critical component of any solution.

That's a great idea.  My top priority before I move forward with the rest of your great ideas.

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 03:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;820190
FYI, on an unrelated note, if you do intend to get this system running again and expanding it into a dual Amiga/PC workstation, you can also extend those last two 8-bit ISA slots into 16-bit by adding the missing connectors. Like this:

Although if you're going to do that I'd look into getting a faster model bridgeboard, as well. :D

This could be an option.  Later

But what I would be interested in more so, is replacing the Current Ancient Hard Drive.

I have a pile of Hard Drives that I have from replacing most of our 7 home computers (family of 5), with SSD drives.  

I'd like to use them for an AMIGA HARD DRIVE and Possibly and IBM Hard drive.

What are my options for both.  Higher priority would be to have an Amiga Hard Drive.

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »
I have some cabling specs as shown below (Thanks for that link)

I think I should be able to confirm the Controller Ribbon cabling by just looking for the MANY Grounds on each side.

There are only 3 ways (not 4), and [ Hard Drive Connector is slotted so only one way to connect]

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:34:37 AM by wbrejnia »

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 03:42:34 AM »
I have to say Wbrejnia does the best photos with custom labelling that I have ever seen on an Amiga forum (:

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2017, 03:55:06 AM »
Quote from: darkage;820233
I have to say Wbrejnia does the best photos with custom labelling that I have ever seen on an Amiga forum (:

Thanks for the appreciation. I built up the skills from my other Forum Posts (Fish Tank Stuff).
If you think this is good labeling and photos check One of my Tank Threads out. This is my Aquarium Lighting System build (one of many detailed Threads). http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510779

Anyways, there is a reason I'm trying to document detailed. It help me track my findings in one place, and hoping it will help others too if they ever face similar challenges like me.

Also when/If I sell this Amiga, it will come with a Binder of all my documentation.  All the disks, freshly copied, etc (So the next person inherits a nice complete system).

I wish I could change the "wbrejnia" ID. I did that years ago, and wish it could be "WallyB" since my first name is Wally. Which I use on all other forums. Can a Admin Change that?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:57:46 AM by wbrejnia »

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:00 AM »
On the TOPIC of Photo's and Labeling.

You should get a copy of SnagIt.  It's the best Photo Capture, cropping, labeling, Video All in one tool.  Quick, Easy.  I use at work, and even my kids used at school.  (Worth every penny the few bucks).

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »
I normally use PicPick since they provide a free limited version.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
Quote from: wbrejnia;820229
so, is replacing the Current Ancient Hard Drive.

I have a pile of Hard Drives that I have from replacing most of our 7 home computers (family of 5), with SSD drives.  

I'd like to use them for an AMIGA HARD DRIVE and Possibly and IBM Hard drive.

What are my options for both.  Higher priority would be to have an Amiga Hard Drive.

Depends on what type of connector they have. I would reckon most if not all would have 40 pin IDE connectors. Legacy (old) A2000 HD controllers are nearly all SCSI.

Even if all the drives you have are SATA type, there are solutions, but let us know what you have before people start recommending "ideal" solutions.

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2017, 05:40:46 AM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;820242
Depends on what type of connector they have. I would reckon most if not all would have 40 pin IDE connectors. Legacy (old) A2000 HD controllers are nearly all SCSI.

Even if all the drives you have are SATA type, there are solutions, but let us know what you have before people start recommending "ideal" solutions.

I do have spare Sata drives and also ATA . (WD136BA-00AKA1 is one ATA example).

I rather used the ATA/IDE since SATA's are good for BULK storage even on modern computers since SSD have re-write limits (Price too)

So what in the Amiga and PC do I need for ATA/IDE drive re-use? Some controller cards I guess to start. But want something I can setup easy and find drivers (something proven, no hacking, and can find exactly how to setup).

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
Here are a few SPARE STORAGE Choices, a Few From my parts Shelf.

Hard to believe that at work we used to pay $400 for the 8 MB card to keep our Network Hub Configs preserved.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2017, 06:38:28 AM »
Well, the main contenders on the left are all IDE. The laptop drives top right might be IDE or SATA. All my opinion, I haven't tried looking ever for an IDE controller for the A2000 - But - ;-

It's not going to be that easy to get an IDE controller for the A2000. Not without searching a lot of Amiga market places online. Bhudda was one such, there are others listed in the hardware databases, the snag is finding someone willing to sell. Be wary that all will fit, some are Zorro 3 and so only fit an A3000 or A4000.

A good alternative (IF you can find a seller) are the ICD A500 controllers. These work by unplugging the CPU, plugging in the board, and plugging the CPU on top. Very nice solution, but very rare now. They fit A2000s too. Not a card expansion but they do work very nicely.

Now the above 2 paragraphs could be untrue, there might be a commercial source still. I couldn't find one, but like I said, I never really tried to look for one before. Others here are way way more experienced than I am at finding Amiga equipment.

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
Hmmm. Maybe IDE isn't the way.

Don't want to be looking for old and possibly broken cards, with hard to find drivers. (But I can consider as last resort).

The Other drives are SATA since replace with SATA SSD.
One is 450 GB, so plenty for an Amiga.

Are there better more modern solutions for the A2000 for SATA?

Or what about Compact Flash (seems to be a solution for this)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:54:33 AM by wbrejnia »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #74 from previous page: January 21, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »
Good work darkage. Obviously me searching on "A2000" was not the best way. ;)

Reason I never seriously had to search for Amiga equipment - I either fixed what I had or it stayed broken until it was fixed.

Nah, that card should work good. It is not that easy to blow up a HD controller.

Only person I know of that offers warranties with their Amiga gear is me. Haven't got IDE card. Sorry.

SATA-IDE convertors not that hard to get, but watch out - some of them you can't boot with.

Also, first partition on a hard drive has to be less than 4GB, and most people stick with 2 or less. Plenty. There are various patches out there for bigger drives, but they usually insist on later (2.1, 3.0, and upwards) Kickstart ROMs in the Amiga. Using more on different partitions works, but you are much smarter to stick with 2GB sized paritions. OS is 32 bit, remember.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:00:09 AM by Pat the Cat »