Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: scm PCD-50B question  (Read 1588 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: scm PCD-50B question
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 17, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
Quote from: mechy;791270
All that trouble because you wouldn't go out and buy a decent $15 cf :)

Mechy, you know Amiga users are notoriously cheap!  :hammer:

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

No offense Curtis, glad you got it sorted!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline mechy

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
This is nothing really to do with this thread but a bit of insight when i was selling scsi card readers.
In the 3 years i sold over 1200 scsi card readers, 99% of the tech help i gave to people were because they insisted on using junk no name media,counterfiet media from ebay,and or microdrives.  The other 1% was usually split between helping them understand how to set the jumpers properly(i guess the label was confusing lol),and explaining how the power should be put to them so they didnt fry them.
 In the three years of the 1200 drives sold, 8 came back. 4 of those 8 had power applied wrong and let the magic smoke out(the picture i drew showing how to power it apparently went ignored).
2 drives were genuine factory defects which i replaced.
1 drive a guy jammed the cf in upside down with what i believe was a hammer,breaking the slot to pieces inside as well as the bezel.
1 was returned because no matter how hard i tried,how many pictures i sent showing actual jumper settings and no matter how much i explained, the poor guy just couldn't grasp how to do it,so i refunded him when he returned it-this drive was resold as used..

Other Info:
The PCD-50B/60B scsi card reader can use up to 32GB cards in CF,SD,SDHC,MMC etc.
Sony memory stick can only be the original(not PRO or DUO- i think up to 128MB( i use 128MB).
SmartMedia slot can take up to 32MB smart media card.
on pcd60-i have never owned a XD Picture Card so i cant comment on sizes it can handle.XD cards come in sized up to 2GB,so my guess is that is it.

Filling all the slots with amiga formatted cards makes lun scanning go quicker on most slow scsi cards(gvp/2091/590 etc).

Mech
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:15:58 PM by mechy »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Quote from: mechy;791272
on pcd60-i have never owned a XD Picture Card so i cant comment on sizes it can handle.XD cards come in sized up to 2GB,so my guess is that is it.

My old Fuji camera uses xD cards and I have successfully used type M and M+ cards up to 2GB many times without issue.

Lost my darned type H card, it was so much faster, don't know where around here I put it!  :(

1200 readers, I hope you made a good profit!   I got mad when I saw people reselling yours on ebay for 2-3x what you were selling them for.  :(

Care to tell us any stories about how you came across all those?  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline mechy

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;791275
My old Fuji camera uses xD cards and I have successfully used type M and M+ cards up to 2GB many times without issue.

Lost my darned type H card, it was so much faster, don't know where around here I put it!  :(

1200 readers, I hope you made a good profit!   I got mad when I saw people reselling yours on ebay for 2-3x what you were selling them for.  :(

Care to tell us any stories about how you came across all those?  :lol:

I had aquired 4 batches total,900-pcd-50b NOS,1500-pcd-50b new(second batch cost me more), 100-pcd-60B used-this batch cost way more than the 50's)and 50-pcd-47b's as memory serves.

Well,i made a modest profit, no where near what i could of sold them for,but i was trying to give the amiga community something reasonably affordable.. the irony was Amigans bought hardly any of them and 90% went to sampler users. I sold very few in the USA,most went overseas :( i would of thought amiga people would of went nuts for a new scsi cf for $69(i think is what i had the pcd-50'b initial batch priced.)

I built some custom ones for sampler users and a couple A3000 amiga users into slim 3.5" drive cases with power supplies and external scsi cabling.

I hated to see the price gouging also, but they were over $200 new originally. you would think new old stock should be cheaper.

I had to price them to move as quick as possible because what they cost me was like having a mortgage lol. (don't ask me about the 5 pin square din production run i did-yeow).

I actually found the original batch of pcd-50b's from Sikorsky (yep, the helicopter company). They had new old stock in a warehouse. I found them by tracking down a military NSN number for these drives which was no small feat.

This eventually led me to them by some obscure web site listing surplus inventory. It was a matter of getting to the right person after that. i think i spent over a month securing the stock-i remember being exhausted by the time 2-fedex trucks arrived with over 50 boxes to unload. But oh no! work wasn't finished yet! I had to flash each and every drive with a read/write firmware(they came write protected).
 the pcd-50/60 was not bad, but setting up a old pc with win95 and a obscure adaptec scsi library to use the pcd-47b flash tools was a right pain in the butt.
No lack of exercise ;)

I had a small batch of the rare pcd-47b drives, these were 4 slots and used 2 or 3-scsi ID's and no LUNS, they sold out the day i posted them. No amiga people bought any of these to my knowledge ,all went to sampler guys.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
I traded Mechy a genuine DEAD A3000T for one SCSI Reader... worth every penny he may have got for the Amiga. BTW, Mech... what ever happened to that A3000T? Did you ever get it running? If so, what the heck was wrong with that beast? I tried everything to get it to boot!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline mechy

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;791278
I traded Mechy a genuine DEAD A3000T for one SCSI Reader... worth every penny he may have got for the Amiga. BTW, Mech... what ever happened to that A3000T? Did you ever get it running? If so, what the heck was wrong with that beast? I tried everything to get it to boot!

Wow Gizmo,i completely forgot about that.. my memory is hazy but i still have it and got it going. I seem to recall a few problems.. low voltage on the power supply, fixed that and it still wouldn't go. I remember desoldering chip ram,it turned out to be toshiba zips and a few were dead.  common problem on 3000t's is dead toshiba chip ram(fixed many a 3000t with this problem in 20 years). last i recall was a flaky proto scsi chip was the last piece of the puzzle.  I rarely sell any amigas, i love all the different models and their quirks. for some reason i like trying to fix basket cases.. well its love/hate thing.. i get into the project all gung-ho to fix it, then half way thru i am pulling my hair out going "why did i take this on!?":angry:, but i win mostly in the end. :D:D

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »
That's awesome you got 'er going! After dinking with it 6 or 8 hours, I knew I wouldn't be able to get it to boot without some spare parts. I'm just glad you kept it and didn't schlog it on eBay or elsewhere. Good to see Miggies get good homes!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »
Hey bridgeboard gurus.  I started a new thread regarding getting the SC card I FINALLY got recognized to serve as a full-time DOS drive for my 2386SX bridgeboard.

I would really appreciate any help on that little project.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/