Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: scm PCD-50B question  (Read 1551 times)

Description:

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
Re: scm PCD-50B question
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 01:10:22 AM »
Okay, this is starting to get REALLY WEIRD!!!!

Tried booting from the floppy with the CF boot card and SD card in place.  Floppy booted fine and the CF card was recognized and that was all.

Popped the CF card out and booted from floppy.  SD card is now recognized!

Perchance is there something wrong with the CF card???

Is it somehow locking out any LUN's after its position?

Guess I'll try a different CF card and once again install the OS.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 01:14:23 AM »
Okay, before my head explodes, I'm signing out until tomorrow.

Time to turn the brain off and watch some Torchwood and Dr. Who!  Intelligent TV!!!!!
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
Quote from: curtis;791227
Okay, this is starting to get REALLY WEIRD!!!!

Tried booting from the floppy with the CF boot card and SD card in place.  Floppy booted fine and the CF card was recognized and that was all.

Popped the CF card out and booted from floppy.  SD card is now recognized!

Perchance is there something wrong with the CF card???

Is it somehow locking out any LUN's after its position?

Guess I'll try a different CF card and once again install the OS.

Basically, the same exact thing was happening to me and it turned out to be two bad, brand new, SanDisk CF cards! Are they SanDisk by chance? I was gonna ask Mike how his new Transcend card worked out. But from what I've been reading on the net lately, SanDisk has done something weird with their CF cards as of late. I shoulda bookmarked the reasons. I was tearing my hair out! Tried an old 2GB Transcend and all was great (with a dual boot double CF card setup).
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline mechy

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;791229
Basically, the same exact thing was happening to me and it turned out to be two bad, brand new, SanDisk CF cards! Are they SanDisk by chance? I was gonna ask Mike how his new Transcend card worked out. But from what I've been reading on the net lately, SanDisk has done something weird with their CF cards as of late. I shoulda bookmarked the reasons. I was tearing my hair out! Tried an old 2GB Transcend and all was great (with a dual boot double CF card setup).

i have used the new style sandisk ultras, with the different labels and they all worked fine( i tried about a dozen). Check your card serial #'s on sandisk site to make sure they are legit.(you can register for the lifetime warranty)-turn it in for a new one if its flakey. The transcend with the orange label(4gb) seem to work(i have about 6). and the 2gb transcends(blue&purple industrial) work always
Mech

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 01:51:55 AM »
Quote from: mechy;791230
i have used the new style sandisk ultras, with the different labels and they all worked fine( i tried about a dozen). Check your card serial #'s on sandisk site to make sure they are legit.(you can register for the lifetime warranty)-turn it in for a new one if its flakey. The transcend with the orange label(4gb) seem to work(i have about 6). and the 2gb transcends(blue&purple industrial) work always
Mech

Thanks for the info Mech! I'll do that tonight! And yes, my old 2GB Transcend ALWAYS works!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 02:29:05 AM »
Quote from: curtis;791217
It's going to be DOS.  Will be using the SD card for my bridgeboard hard drive.

Not sure if I understand correctly, think I'm getting lost on this thread.  ;)  But to clarify, you're trying to prep the device with two cards:

1 - a CF card (presumably formatted with FFS) for your Amiga partition
2 - an SD card formatted as FAT/FAT32/"FAT95" for your DOS partition

Correct?

I would take it a step back and make sure the CF card is working 100% before trying to add another card.

For the FAT95/DOS partition I've never had any luck prepping them through HDToolbox; easier to just create a Mountlist/DOSDriver entry on your Miggy and format the card on a PC, that's what I do.  Then I can interchangeably pop it out of my Amiga and into the card reader on my PC to transfer files.  I still use it often enough that I sometimes forget that my Amiga has USB, too.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 04:05:33 AM »
Sorry to butt in with no constructive advice but, the two new bad CF cards are made by Kingston - with no front label and no verifiable part number searching the web.

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:17 AM »
I had the exact same problem with the card reader in my A1500, where I could get HDToolBox to recognize both a CF and SD card, but not at the same time. After an whole evening of LUNacy, I finally gave up and tried HDInstTools instead, which worked like a charm. The reason for this is because HDInstTools has a Last Lun option, and something similar seems to be missing in WB3.1 HDToolBox.

Now I'm able to use three cards at the same time if I want to (PCMCIA-CF, CF & SD).

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 04:40:11 AM »
Quote from: PanterHZ;791247
HDInstTools has a Last Lun option, and something similar seems to be missing in WB3.1 HDToolBox

That's the same thing that Thomas said to me recently, when I had an unrelated issue.  My problem actually turned out to be me being a dumbass and not using HDToolbox correctly, coupled with having one bad card that was throwing me off.

In Curtis's case however, maybe his limiting factor may be the 3.1 version of HDToolbox?  I swear by the 3.9 version, however, and would use that over HDInstTools, any day.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline PanterHZ

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:11 AM »
Quote from: mechy;791196
HDinsttools does odd things to some cards i found, if you used it to partition,i have seen cards completely disappear and haven't figured a way to get them back,even formatting/partitioning in a pc doesnt help(ironically they work on the pc still).I dont know what this does to them,i recommend avoiding it.

mech

Must say that I have never experienced any kind problems like this by using HDInstTools, but then again I have mostly used it with disks connected to the A1200 & A600 IDE controller. Maybe it's just a SCSI thing?

Offline PanterHZ

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;791249
That's the same thing that Thomas said to me recently, when I had an unrelated issue.  My problem actually turned out to be me being a dumbass and not using HDToolbox correctly, coupled with having one bad card that was throwing me off.

In Curtis's case however, maybe his limiting factor may be the 3.1 version of HDToolbox?  I swear by the 3.9 version, however, and would use that over HDInstTools, any day.  ;)

I have to agree, OS3.9 HDToolBox is the best for setting up harddisks due to so many reasons. But in case this is not possible, I use 3.1 HDToolBox for disks up to 4GB, and HDInstTools for disks larger than 4GB.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Update.

After pulling the Hitachi 2GM Microdrive that I was using as my boot disk and replacing it with another identical unit, I was able to have it recognized by HDToolBox, partition it, format it, and install OS3.1 successfully.  My Sandisk SD 2.0GB is also recognized!

Conclusions:

It appears SOMETHING WEIRD is going on with my original Hitachi 2GB boot microdrive that precluded the system from recognizing the 2GB SD card!

I may try to recover the original microdrive at a later date, but for now, everything is working fine so onward to installing the 2386SX bridgeboard and getting that working with the SD card as the boot drive!

Details to follow, I'm sure!

Curtis McCain

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:11 PM »
Quote from: curtis;791267
Update.

After pulling the Hitachi 2GM Microdrive that I was using as my boot disk and replacing it with another identical unit, I was able to have it recognized by HDToolBox, partition it, format it, and install OS3.1 successfully.  My Sandisk SD 2.0GB is also recognized!

Conclusions:

It appears SOMETHING WEIRD is going on with my original Hitachi 2GB boot microdrive that precluded the system from recognizing the 2GB SD card!

I may try to recover the original microdrive at a later date, but for now, everything is working fine so onward to installing the 2386SX bridgeboard and getting that working with the SD card as the boot drive!

Glad you got it sorted! That's what it seemed to me too... something was faulty. Have fun with your Bridgeboard, I'm jealous!

Offline mechy

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »
Quote from: PanterHZ;791250
Must say that I have never experienced any kind problems like this by using HDInstTools, but then again I have mostly used it with disks connected to the A1200 & A600 IDE controller. Maybe it's just a SCSI thing?

No, it was well documented it set up disks/cf's etc with a non-standard RDB. If you then made the mistake of using hdtoolbox etc on it, it would scramble the RDB, or something to that effect. I seem to think the newer version may of been fxed, but dont auote me on that.

Offline mechy

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Quote from: curtis;791267
Update.

Conclusions:

All that trouble because you wouldn't go out and buy a decent $15 cf :) lol  i am glad you worked it out, i must say that was a odd problem that i would of never guessed.
personally i think microdrives suck ,since they are not solid state and are basically miniature hard drives with motors etc,but much more delicate than a real HD. The whole point of a cf reader is to use CF etc which are so much quicker in response time and near bullet proof.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 17, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
Quote from: mechy;791270
All that trouble because you wouldn't go out and buy a decent $15 cf :)

Mechy, you know Amiga users are notoriously cheap!  :hammer:

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

No offense Curtis, glad you got it sorted!  :)