Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Laser printer ideas, anyone?  (Read 438 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: Laser printer ideas, anyone?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 24, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »
Did you change the DEVS:NSDPatch.cfg as suggested, or just go commando?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;788293
Something I didn't expect: Typing the printers address into Odyssey brought up a nice browser-based interface for setup options and checking toner levels and such.

Welcome to the world of "real" printers, not those plug-in-USB $50-at-Walmart junk.  ;)

Before I read too much into them, do these instructions work on classic systems?  I've got 17 printers around my office, all networked, and my Amiga is networked, I keep saying "one of these days!" Haha  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:58:24 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;788296
Welcome to the world of "real" printers, not those plug-in-USB $50-at-Walmart junk.  ;)

Before I read too much into them, do these instructions work on classic systems?  I've got 17 printers around my office, all networked, and my Amiga is networked, I keep saying "one of these days!" Haha  :lol:

Well, yes.  If it is PostScript it will work on both OS 3.9 and 4.1.  Newer HP Inkjets (PhotoSmart-type) work well with the older HP drivers in both OS's.  For applications in OS3.9 not supporting PostScript (I only have Final Writer and PageStream myself -- but then who needs more) can use GhostScript with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Everything with PostScript and PCL based printers works better, IMHO, under OS4.1.  For the others, I wish you all the best!

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;788294
Did you change the DEVS:NSDPatch.cfg as suggested, or just go commando?

I haven't seen any need for it yet.
The Postscript print driver allows the selection of lpr.device directly, so I didn't bother with any port redirection. It seems to be working well enough, though I have not had a lot of testing time yet.

@Oldsmobile Mike
I don't have any classic systems to test the printer with.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;788308
I haven't seen any need for it yet.
The Postscript print driver allows the selection of lpr.device directly, so I didn't bother with any port redirection. It seems to be working well enough, though I have not had a lot of testing time yet.

@Oldsmobile Mike
I don't have any classic systems to test the printer with.

Lyle, I have PageStream and I believe it expects the PAR port, as does Final Writer.  The others use the OS PostScript driver.

Mike, I have used up to 3 different networked printers with my Classic 4KT under OS3.9, but she sits in her box awaiting setup while I crank away on my X1000; I need more desk space.
My old HP 2605dn worked best with my Amy, but pushed out color duplex at a noisy 6 to 8 pages per minute (10 - 12 in B & W).  I gave it way ;<(