Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to install a Network Printer?  (Read 3207 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: How to install a Network Printer?
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
If you can access the printer from your (home) network and your Amiga is connected to your network, then all you need to worry about is the printer driver.  Modern printers usually have a PostScript mode that you can use with Final Writer, PageStream, and GhostScript, (and OS4.1 PS driver) and most HP inkjet printers work fine with older drivers.  I read of a Cloud printer way, but I can't remember where.  Using the LPR.device (Aminet), the AmiTCP version 3.X stack will not work, but RoadShow, Miami, and AmiTCP V 4 (current EasyNet) work fine.  There is another option (that I don't use and I am not familiar with) out there that someone will chime in with as well.

So get to searching!  Or sit and wait for others to help.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:19:23 AM »
CLOUD PRINTING...
According to:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&type=highlights¬eoid=196563#epson_connect_compatibility

Your Epson XP-605 is *NOT* supported, but since all the others listed in that section are supported, you might give it a try.

Networking to another computer to do the conversion and printing seems akin to sneaker-netting the file over (or via email) and just printing from the second computer (save in an RTF, TXT or PS format).

I never could get the NetPrinter to reliably work, so I have my 3 printers on the lpr.device and switch between them with a IconX based script that just copies the variables into the ENV: directory

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
HP printers seem to work fine with the older print drivers -- there is one for the inkjets and another for the laser series; AND they work in OS 3.1, 3.5, 3.9 and 4.1.  I mostly use PS on my current jobs though.