Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "New" Amiga 3000....  (Read 7402 times)

Description:

Offline blanghorstTopic starter

• Show only replies by blanghorst
Re: "New" Amiga 3000....
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;686715
blanghorst

congrats on your new amiga 3k! Welcome back to the club.

I love these guys recommending you impossible to find hw. (Like a Deneb - they dont make them anymore and are near impossible to come by. Same with the Dmac and Ramsey chips. Not only this if you do find these items you will pay $$ dearly) You really dont need to update the buster if you arent doing a lot of zorro expansion.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I can't justify paying $100/$200+ for a USB card, ethernet card, or an IDE controller for either of my machines.  I did have a chance to get a Buddha a few months ago for $75 and I am still kicking myself over that.  I refurbed my A2000 because I wanted a project and thought it would be fun to get back into the Amiga.  I bought the A3000 because I always wanted one when I was a college kid but couldn't afford one.  It is probably my favorite Amiga model even though it is a pain to work on.

As a side note, some LCD monitors work very well with the built in Flicker Fixer (best feature of a3k)

Looks wonderful on a cheap Acer 19" widescreen LCD that I also have attached to my secondary gaming PC.  Much better than the Microway flickerfixer in my A2000.  I probably just need to adjust the Microway with the little screw.

and YES the A3000 is THE WORST hands down Amiga to work on. (as you can see)

Oh and ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING: DONT PULL THE A3k battery without replacing it immediately IIRC the A3000 NVRAM is stored in battery memory and this controls the scsi..

Yeah, it came without a battery but it booted fine.  Now that I've got my new battery installed and working, I need to connect the card reader I bought from Mechy, enable LUNs, and see if I can get all that working.
Amiga 2000 | GVP 68030 w/ 8 MB RAM | A2091 w/ 52 MB hard drive | Dual floppy drives

Amiga 3000 | 68030 @ 25 Mhz | 18 MB RAM | 3.2 GB SCSI hard drive

Vic 20 w/C2N datassette (trying to find it!)
C-64 w/ 1541 drive
C-128 w/ 1571 drive

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that too. I can't justify paying $100/$200+ for a USB card, ethernet card, or an IDE controller for either of my machines. I did have a chance to get a Buddha a few months ago for $75 and I am still kicking myself over that. I refurbed my A2000 because I wanted a project and thought it would be fun to get back into the Amiga. I bought the A3000 because I always wanted one when I was a college kid but couldn't afford one. It is probably my favorite Amiga model even though it is a pain to work on.

Take it slow, sounds like you are in the same position I am in. I've spent more money than I probably should have, but then again I've been tempted but have refrained from spending much more. By taking it slow I've gotten my stuff inexpensively and have no real worries - if I decide to bail out of this hobby, I can definitely get all my money back.

Like you it seems, what's driving me is the challenge of getting these things up and running and the nostalgic appeal. Who knows how long your interest will last, so don't go overboard. I'd never pay the prices some of these products are demanding - just not worth it for me!

Unfortunately I now have more "toys" than I have time to play with. Amiga 4000T, 3000, C128D, C128, C64C and soon an Atari 800.... ugh... it's an addiction! :)

Yeah, it came without a battery but it booted fine. Now that I've got my new battery installed and working, I need to connect the card reader I bought from Mechy, enable LUNs, and see if I can get all that working.

Just remember if your battery dies it will no longer boot to the CF card slot until you boot to floppy and re-enable LUNs. You can, however, boot to the CF card in a PCMCIA adapter (if you have one) if the battery dies.

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;686799
Take it slow, sounds like you are in the same position I am in. I've spent more money than I probably should have, but then again I've been tempted but have refrained from spending much more. By taking it slow I've gotten my stuff inexpensively and have no real worries - if I decide to bail out of this hobby, I can definitely get all my money back.

That's my thought as well. I haven't done much with my Amiga 2000 since I restored it, so I don't want to spend tremendous amounts of money in case I never really get back into the hobby. Still, I've had a good time so far.

Like you it seems, what's driving me is the challenge of getting these things up and running and the nostalgic appeal. Who knows how long your interest will last, so don't go overboard. I'd never pay the prices some of these products are demanding - just not worth it for me!

Yeah, the prices for USB and ethernet are just insane. I understand that it is a very small market and the companies making them have to make money off of them, but the prices are still too high IMO.

For my part, I focus on classic Amiga stuff anyway. I have no interest in running 4.0 or above. If it can't run on a classic machine, it isn't something I care about. USB or ethernet would be nice to have just to aid in transferring files, but I can get SCSI ZIP drives cheaper and I have an old USB ZIP drive attached to my PC so transferring files is easy.

Unfortunately I now have more "toys" than I have time to play with. Amiga 4000T, 3000, C128D, C128, C64C and soon an Atari 800.... ugh... it's an addiction! :)

If I keep up this hobby, I think an A1000 and A4000 will eventually find their way into my home. I'll be redoing my mancave in the next year or so and when I do, I may make it more like Blake Patterson's "Byte Cellar" and I'll have more room for my machines. My wife will just roll her eyes but she'll get over it. :D

I've also got another project I'm considering, and it will be a long and hard project to complete.  Basically, I'd be building another A2000 from the ground up.  I'd be buying individual components and building it completely from scratch.   The reason I say it would be challenging is because I do have another A2000 motherboard that has some significant battery damage.  It is repairable, but I'd need to remove some sockets (like the 68000 socket) and solder on replacements.  I have to decide if I really want to do this or not, as there is a complete A2000 case up on eBay right now.

Just remember if your battery dies it will no longer boot to the CF card slot until you boot to floppy and re-enable LUNs. You can, however, boot to the CF card in a PCMCIA adapter (if you have one) if the battery dies.

Good point. I should probably use a CF with an adapter as my primary boot drive anyway. Right now I've got a vanilla install of 3.1 on a 3.2 GB SCSI drive and I'm not sure how long that drive will last. I'll probably have to do the same thing to my A2000 as well, as I'm not sure my 20+ year-old 52 MB Quantum drive will last much longer.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:35:50 PM by blanghorst »
Amiga 2000 | GVP 68030 w/ 8 MB RAM | A2091 w/ 52 MB hard drive | Dual floppy drives

C-64 w/ 1541 drive
C-128 w/ 1571 drive

Offline barney

• Show only replies by barney
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:14 AM »
Quote from: stevee617;681430
I agree, don't cut your case!  You can mount the SCSI card reader internally in the HD spot, although you wont be able to install a floppy drive in the location just forward of the HD mount.

I have been working on my A3K, although this is not its permanent spot, you can see the SCSI card reader in this photo. They work very well and it is very fast on a stock 3000.

What brand and model is your SCSI card reader.  I need to get me one of them.

Offline stevee617

• Show only replies by stevee617
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
They SCSI card readers are PCD-50b. Go to a4000t.com.
Steve E

-AmigaOne x5000 | 8GB RAM | AOS 4.1| Radeon 7770
-Amiga 2000 | GVP 030 Combo | 9MB RAM | 4GB HD | Flicker Fixer | Cybervision 64/3D

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
I'm hoping to get my SCSI cable today or tomorrow so I can install the SCSI card reader.

Question for everyone -- has anyone found an external case which works well with the card reader?  Right now, I'll have to place it internally but it would be nice to use it externally.

C-64 w/ 1541 drive
C-128 w/ 1571 drive

Offline matt3k

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Is there a smaller scsi reader you could mount inside a 3k?

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;687154
Is there a smaller scsi reader you could mount inside a 3k?

Mechy's reader should fit inside the A3000.  I was just exploring the possibility of making it external in order to have easier access to it.

External SCSI, 1 bay SCSI cases are getting hard to find.  I'd like an external CD-ROM, but the external SCSI CD-ROMs on eBay are expensive and I can't seem to find a good case so I could buy an internal SCSI drive and mount it myself.

C-64 w/ 1541 drive
C-128 w/ 1571 drive

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
Yes, it fits fine in the rear hard disk bay.  If you use the PCMCIA adapter it will interfere with the floppy bay in front of it.  

You can also install it in the front right floppy bay, but the screw holes will not line up - I used velcro.  You can actually use the front bezel floppy slot to insert/remove the PCMCIA adapter with the CF card inserted if you want.